The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Well with all this talk of modern consoles, myself and Elder Child spent her last few inset days last week reliving my mid-teens and endlessly playing "Hogs of War" on my old PS1. Forgot how oddly addictive it was :)

It’s funny how replay-able the old games was. I was playing tomb raider 2 on my old PS1 the other day. The graphics have aged badly but the gameplay still holds up to modern standards. The shipwreck levels are some of the best platform levels of all time. 

big james 

Edited by Big James

35 minutes ago, Big James said:

It’s funny how replay-able the old games was. I was playing tomb raider 2 on my old PS1 the other day. The graphics have aged badly but the gameplay still holds up to modern standards. The shipwreck levels are some of the best platform levels of all time. 

big james 

Another good game we had on as well- youngest is 8, she spent ages just having fun running Lara around the assault course and exploring the mansion on the training level :)

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Another good game we had on as well- youngest is 8, she spent ages just having fun running Lara around the assault course and exploring the mansion on the training level :)

All 3 of the Croft mansion levels are amazing. It’s surprising how many old games still hold their own. I dug out resident evil 2 the controls was a tank but the puzzles still easily hold their own. 

big james 

Not entirely disconnected from the posts immediately above, an eyebrow was raised whilst browsing the PS Store as it appears Ubisoft have taken it upon themselves to totally re-jig Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the PS4! Yours to pre-order for the (ahem) princely sum of £34.99 it promises the original 1989 PoP title unlockable within game.

Now I adored that game on PS2, the environment graphics literally blew me away (I had come from a Game Gear & Amiga 1200 background remember) none of the other PS2 titles had impressed me as much. I still have the PoP Trilogy discs for PS2 and indeed downloaded the same for PS3!

I'd love to have a look at the work Ubi have done, but buy a third generation of the same game? And the elephant in the room, dress it up how you like, the combat grows incredibly tedious in the original (deploy attack combo x for baddie sprite y etc). Puzzles are fun though.

If you have youngsters, it's a recommended purchase WITH THE CAVEAT it is heavily discounted, you don't have the ability to play the inexpensive PS2&3 versions and if you've not played it yourself for a zillion years, I think.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Prince of Persia I saw the other day that someone's managed to port the original game to the BBC Master, which is pretty damned impressive.

Entirely unrelated, I've just tried a few classic film scenes in a cinema environment on the Valve Index (Raiders of the Lost Ark truck chase, Battle of Endor, that sort of thing). It was a bit of a novelty on the Rift but an entire film might be watchable in this way on the Index. Not up to having a good home cinema (probably, I've never tried it) but still quite impressive.

• RMweb Premium

All PS5 preorders appear taken.

Unless Horizon is launch no problem.

I would really need a new TV to get the best out of it so that would be another 1500 or so.

I spend more and less on TVs than other people I know, late 50s and on big TV number 3.

Big TV 2 was a flat screen tube IDTV and 3 a top of range full HD LCD

Big TV 4 will need to be 4 or 8 k 10 bit, decent quality, and last a decade.

• RMweb Premium

I think they should have added a prerequisit to pre orders, you have to have at least 10 items of Sony kit including at least 3 Sony invented.

That would mean I could get one easily.

We have in household currently

PS - 2 3 4 4 4 P V V V

VCR x 3

TV only the one TV in house

AV Receiver

MD player, recorder and a sat in garage from last car MD heat unit.

1 video camera plus 2 with built in tapes.

In Destiny I have done dungeons and strikes with both boys.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I think they should have added a prerequisit to pre orders, you have to have at least 10 items of Sony kit including at least 3 Sony invented.

Doubt they'd do that  - those people are more likely to buy one anyway when it's available, what they'll want to reduce is the risk of other people with no ties on way or the other thinking "may as well get an Xbox then." The reason they won't go to the other extreme (of delaying those with lots of Sony kit) is that'll go too far and start alienating fans (and quite honestly I'd be rather worried if they had any idea how much of their kit I've got).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, StevieD71 said:

I told myself I wasn't going to get my PS5 until Gran Turismo 7 was released, but when I got a notification that Argos pre-orders had gone live this morning I crumbled.

Roll on Nov 19th!

Out of stock

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Doubt they'd do that  - those people are more likely to buy one anyway when it's available, what they'll want to reduce is the risk of other people with no ties on way or the other thinking "may as well get an Xbox then." The reason they won't go to the other extreme (of delaying those with lots of Sony kit) is that'll go too far and start alienating fans (and quite honestly I'd be rather worried if they had any idea how much of their kit I've got).

How about at least 1 working Beta VCR?

I have 2 working and 1 requiring repair.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MJI said:

Out of stock

Already?? I managed to get mine ordered at 10.30.

I did have a slight moment of worry when it seemed to be taking a while to go through, but I have my confirmation email.

I find a lot of console in release have Some faults with them. Xbox 360 had the red ring and the switch has the joy con drift also the joy cons stop connecting to it properly. I think I’m going to wait for the second batch to release as by then they normally fix majority of the faults. Also unlike when the PS4 release which had infamous second son and uncharted 5 I’m finding that both consoles launch line up of games quite underwhelming. Which is a shame really because I helped launch the PS4 for one of the major retailers and got mine on release date. 

big james 

Despite the criticism Sony have suffered as it appears they weren't exactly clear on exclusivity of the games on its consoles or even the platforms, FOMO and scamming bots seem to have reserved the entire launch pre-orders globally. 

There apparently is another option though. I had reason to contact my local electrical goods shop about buying a CD player/recorder and in passing asked, as they are a Sony stockist though not specifically consoles, whether they'd been allocated any PS5s. Apparently they will sell me a PlayStation, however the stipulation from Sony directly is that I'd have to stump up the readies now.

I'm somewhat irked that it would appear Horizon Forbidden West is going to be a cross generation title meaning it is not optimised for the new hardware. It may well be that future expansion/DLC will be but the upside is that it's one less game I'll absolutely need to buy a PS5 to play.

I'm not even sure when the release of HFW is, nor Ratchet & Clank or GT7. Or indeed if they won't be playable on PS4 too!

Like Martin, I'm in for a new telly too, so this isn't just a question of the £450 for the console alone. I require rather more concrete assurances on the hardware requirements for the games before I nail my flag to this mast Sony. Maybe Easter 2021 then? 

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

Apparently they will sell me a PlayStation, however the stipulation from Sony directly is that I'd have to stump up the readies now.

Noodles to that!

At least with my Amazon preorder they don't charge till it ships and you can cancel any time before the man brings it to your door.

4 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Noodles to that!

At least with my Amazon preorder they don't charge till it ships and you can cancel any time before the man brings it to your door.

Well quite, suffice it to say I declined! 

I did click on a box on Amazon, but I suspect it's merely a notification of back in stock/availability to buy.

As it stands, I'm not forking out a grand for three games that may or may not be slightly prettier PS4 titles.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

As it stands, I'm not forking out a grand for three games that may or may not be slightly prettier PS4 titles.

Mmm. There are no launch titles I'm interested in.

Apparently PS4 Cyberpunk will be better on the PS5 at launch before they ship the proper update at some point later.

I've got till Nov 19th to think about it.

I'd get one at launch if it were a hassle free matter of availability, not for any of the launch titles (none of which fully enthuse me aside from some Spiderman MM curiosity) but because it'd mean at least being able to play some of my PS4 titles in hi-def while awaiting PS5 specific titles. 

And yes, I'm aware that is literally paying a grand for slightly prettier PS4 titles! The hypocrisy! 

Of the three games I am interested in, only R&C: Rift Apart has a suggested release date as "within PS5 launch window" which could be 3-6 months down the line!

Ah well, anyone getting one, enjoy. I'll join you next Spring. 

C6T. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Look at my avatar. That points to the game I am most excited by. If it will run on PS4. Do I need a 5 yet?

As to Switch one son and daughter have bought them.

Found that daughters boyfriend is as bad as me with electronics. Spends ages looking for just the right TV.

If Horizon Forbidden West is still a number of months away I'd hang tight Martin (market forces having given us little choice anyway).

What confuses me, not being a programmer, is something 30801 mentioned about Cyberpunk 2077. If I buy a PS4 version of a game, also slated for release on PS5, will I have to then buy the PS5 version later to access hardware specific patches once I have the new console. 

I dare say this has all been explained, indeed I believe the devs for AC: Valhalla specifically did so, but it all seems to have been lost in the headlong scramble to secure the new kit!

It used to be incredibly simple when backwards compatibility wasn't an issue, you want this game, buy this machine!

C6T. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Classsix T said:

What confuses me, not being a programmer, is something 30801 mentioned about Cyberpunk 2077. If I buy a PS4 version of a game, also slated for release on PS5, will I have to then buy the PS5 version later to access hardware specific patches once I have the new console. 

Generally if you buy the PS4 version it will run on the PS5 with a higher frame rate but otherwise be the same. You'd have to buy the PS5 one to get all the goodies.

CD Projekt Red are being kind and upgrading the PS4 version to the PS5 one for free as well as having some non specific improvements to the PS4 one from the get go.

• Informative/Useful 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-19-sony-apologises-for-ps5-pre-order-chaos

More consoles to be released to market apparently.

The problem of scalpers (resellers of desirous gear at inflated prices) using bots to swarm online pre-orders was perfectly illustrated in the comments of the same story on Kotaku US where one individual managed to secure 21(!) PS5s.

Nvidia having exactly the same issue with 3080 graphics cards at the moment too. And flight controls for use with Sim 2020....

Microsoft's not out of the woods yet either as all pre-orders for XboxSX are due to go live at the same time. Sony have suffered but at least it was staggered as retailers took it upon themselves when to press the button.

Because greed, eh?

C6T.