Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

1 hour ago, tgk300 said:

They’re a lot quite then a class 15x, although the engines are idling. What I was on about is where they are starting at a station and going to full power straight away almost, that’s when we will be able to see how much noise these units make. 

Not directly opposite it as it sets off, but still a good indicator on noise:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Not directly opposite it as it sets off, but still a good indicator on noise:

I would say that it’s quieter then a 15x, but any noise it does make sounds far nicer then a 15x. 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, DY444 said:

The last time I was at Exeter St. Davids I saw a passenger in a wheelchair being taken across the crossing at the Plymouth end by a member of the station staff.   It does have lights which go out when a train is approaching though.

It's an Authorised Walking Route to the depot so still exists.  As there are lifts available to all platforms they are what should be used by passengers or people assisting them - said member of staff needs to have his fortune read (unless a lift was out of action).

19 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Prior to the lifts being installed at Ipswich this was the situation to access P3&4.

Stowmarket is accessible both platforms but a right rigmarole should you want to enquire at the booking office then need an up train. The only way to make Needham Market compliant would be to stick one of those Donkey Kong footbridges in the car park, the ramp on to the down platform is apparently too steep an angle to comply.

Thurston, Thetford and Wymondham to name a few familiar to me will need major spend to bring up to scratch. I wonder if made law, could a TOC become liable to taxi a mobility impaired punter to the nearest compliant station? Rhetorically speaking like?

C6T. 

If a station is not compatible one procedure is to put the passenger on a train which takes them to a compatible one in order to crossover to a train going in the direction they originally wanted or to allow them to be overcarried so they can travel back.  Of course this only works if the origin and destination stations both have at least one accessible platform (e.g. it is in Category B in GWR pocket timetables).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On-board CCTV from the Thorpe End level crossing near miss a while back. I haven't seen this before, just a still image from the CCTV. It was really close.

Scroll down for video.

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-near-miss-at-level-crossing-video-1-6449119?fbclid=IwAR22knPrjJRI4KDQ09MfzMtbsJ1qjpA0ZZdgDqqC6GlzatydCdGeIOBmiCA

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Interesting. The barriers go up and cars start to cross, but the amber warning light for the barriers going back down again comes back on fairly quickly. Very close, fortunate there were no casualties. 

(Seriously though, even local press feels the need to use sensationalist terms like 'leaked footage'?!?!) 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

(Seriously though, even local press feels the need to use sensationalist terms like 'leaked footage'?!?!) 

Yeah, I thought that. I think local press are the worst, even going so far as to publish facebook rumours as fact.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Interesting. The barriers go up and cars start to cross, but the amber warning light for the barriers going back down again comes back on fairly quickly. Very close, fortunate there were no casualties. 

The reason for the sensationalist terms is simply for views/clicks. The phrase “leaked footage” has a far better chance of capturing a readers attention then “official footage”. That would be the reason, it’s just clicks and money. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone who feels like a chuckle have a read of the GA answers to these 11 questions - especially the non-answer to No.9 and the "I had my fingers crossed while answering" dubious answer to No.1

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/10-questions-for-greater-anglia-1-6448079

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Anyone who feels like a chuckle have a read of the GA answers to these 11 questions - especially the non-answer to No.9 and the "I had my fingers crossed while answering" dubious answer to No.1

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/10-questions-for-greater-anglia-1-6448079

So by the time I will probably need to use both the main line and branch sets in late August there is a possibility that they might actually be operational with the Stadlers and that not only will no trains be cancelled but any I use will be running punctually.  Thanks for the link  as I have found it incredibly positive and It's nice to be reassured by GA's management.  :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So by the time I will probably need to use both the main line and branch sets in late August there is a possibility that they might actually be operational with the Stadlers and that not only will no trains be cancelled but any I use will be running punctually.  Thanks for the link  as I have found it incredibly positive and It's nice to be reassured by GA's management.  :rolleyes:

My late mother always used to say that sarcasm was the lowest form of wit.

You have it down to a fine art!

• Like 2

As your on-the-spot reporter for the new trains I'm duty bound to bring you excellent news with regards the resolution of ongoing frustrations with regards the introduction of the Stadler fleet. 

It seems AGA may have resolved the public information display issues long perplexing potential punters wishing to know the length of their delayed, failed, cancelled or jammed under a bridge somewhere spiffy new train.

Today's 16:29 NMT-SMK was proud to proclaim it would be 5 (count 'em!) carriages in length. Your intrepid news hound plumped for an empty table for four in the leading coach rather than the centre carriage, some sort of noisy baggage car.

When pressed for comment, a fella with a strange obsession with AGA flannel asked if I was "from that sodding RMweb." I made my excuses and left, sharpish like.

Scoopsix T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I noticed on the local BBC news saying that today was the first day of the new year that the Ipswich - Peterborough service ran without cancellations and hinted that “new trains” were working it.  Any truth in this?

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I noticed on the local BBC news saying that today was the first day of the new year that the Ipswich - Peterborough service ran without cancellations and hinted that “new trains” were working it.  Any truth in this?

Yes - with some cancellations, still only 2 hour of course.

A Cambridge / Ipswich service failed at Bury but was recovered and turned around there to go back

A couple of failures on the Norwich / Cambridge / Stansted workings.

Not a marvellous day, still far too many failures (imho) but some of the units have settled down and are running well - hopefully the team will get the others debugged soon and the service will finally settle dwn.

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 06/01/2020 at 19:22, Siggie in the east said:

After saturday night, AGA will have plenty of "5"car units spare as the Yarmouth-Lowestoft-Brundall signalling works kick off again for 20+days. Thanking my lucky charms as I'm the Ipswich man that night not the norwich man ;)

so there should be spare units and drivers to learn them?

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

so there should be spare units and drivers to learn them?

I think Steve is a bit ahead of himself, the works don't start for another few weeks although there is stage work, the main works kick off on 01/02/2020

• Informative/Useful 1