Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tgk300 said:

Regarding barrow crossing, would it not be possible where is bridge cannot be installed to have them but with level crossing style barriers & lights? Having barrier and lights would surely then make them just like a normal level crossing used by both foot and motor traffic? Forgive me if I am missing somthing, but would that not pose jsut the same risk if not less as it only pedestrianized traffic and not road as well? Would have then is basically just a mini level crossing with all the light and barriers, but scaled down somewhat. I am not saying this is a good idea, I am just wondering if It has been considered or trialed. 

Which regularly get misused by members of the public!

Why do you think the ORR amd NR have a policy of closing such crossings where physically possible?

10 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Which regularly get misused by members of the public!

Why do you think the ORR amd NR have a policy of closing such crossings where physically possible?

They do have such a policy, I am just putting the idea out there. In reality they can only work if staffed, something that introduces consideralbe costs. 

9 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

I have just looked it up and seen it, what a beast. I would say that we are entering an era where these bridges will become standard at many stations and ex level crossing such as the one you mentioned at Thurston. Out of interest, was the ability to take horses a requirement, or was that just a joke? 

Done a bit of research and apparently the bridge was not popular with the locals. Looks like ramp gradient is not all that steep, it would be interesting to know if there is a recomended and a maximum gradient. 

I'm no solicitor but I'm guessing it was demanded of NR to keep a public right of way open and happened to include a bridleway.

The thing is huge. Fantastic locally if you want to phot West of Haughley traffic of course. Dad and I trundled over a couple of summers ago and I got a couple of decent shots. But foot traffic was hardly thriving, perhaps a couple of dog walkers, there's nothing to the south. It was a level crossing once, those cottages nearby confirm an occupant keeper.

I can neither comprehend the necessity of expenditure or requirement for such a mahoosive structure. The only near miss in recent memory was some berk at the station nearly twatted by a turbostar whilst filming a kettle.

C6T. 

32 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I can neither comprehend the necessity of expenditure or requirement for such a mahoosive structure.

£1,500,000 was the price tag apparently. I would of thought that it would of been more seeing as it has to be designed, built and installed; none of which comes cheap these days. The ramps seem very gentle which is good for those actually in a wheelchair, although i do find it quite amusing that they have provided stairs for those who don't want to do the long walk all the way up and then down the ramp, I have certainly not seen that before. 

Edited by tgk300

33 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The only near miss in recent memory was some berk at the station nearly twatted by a turbostar whilst filming a kettle.

That wasn't this video was it? The guy got very lucky in this case. 

Note the "Euuueowoo" from the camera man. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

To wander back to the topic title

Eccles Road

01 January 2020

755419 on 2K73, 11:03, Norwich - Stansted Airport (13:04)

You want to be careful, staying on topic appears to be against the rules around here! :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris116
Smelling Pistake!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

I will admit that between myself and a few others we have dragged this thread a bit of course, although I am in no doubt that I was the main culprit. My suggestion would be a sharpish return to the Class 755 and 745 units and also that we leave all the joyful discussions about the intricate details of NR pedestrian bridge design and all the politics behind them for another day, unless of course anyone wishes to make a specific thread :D:D:D

Edited by tgk300
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Equally guilty. And agree to a return to topic, though a bit depressing to hear that the units are still sitting down. Is it because they want their rest day over the holiday?

Jonathan

It had severe depression when it didn't turn off at Ely and go to snailwell!

Edited by russ p
  • Funny 2

35 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Equally guilty. And agree to a return to topic, though a bit depressing to hear that the units are still sitting down. Is it because they want their rest day over the holiday?

Jonathan

What do you mean "units are still sitting down"?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Apologies Skip, I did at least keep it in region...backing away tugging fetlock...beggin' yer pardon Sir, thank ee koindly.

C6T. 

Forelock, old chap, forelock. Fetlocks are wot 'orses 'ave, guv.

Edit-I stand corrected. Seems forelock is something wot 'orses 'ave an all...

Edited by rodent279
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Basil 415 has failed at Stansted and Thunderbird 37611 has rescued it, on the way back to Norwich as I type.

Here is the said herb

Eccles Road

02 January 2020

37611, Pegasus, and 755415 on 5K82, 20:40, Stansted Airport - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (22:21) - Basil 415 failed at Stansted AirportDAS845887.jpg.778b2a15781fdcc4d1aacb9b25b4666b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Do we know what the cause of these occasional failures are? Is it any one thing in particular or a multitude of differant things at differant times?

Edited by tgk300
The correction of an embarrassing typing error.

4 hours ago, tgk300 said:

I have just looked it up and seen it, what a beast. I would say that we are entering an era where these bridges will become standard at many stations and ex level crossing such as the one you mentioned at Thurston. Out of interest, was the ability to take horses a requirement, or was that just a joke? 

Done a bit of research and apparently the bridge was not popular with the locals. Looks like ramp gradient is not all that steep, it would be interesting to know if there is a recomended and a maximum gradient. 

Sorry for being off topic but to close out the question.

Yes, the slope angle and need for rest platforms every so far are prescribed by the DDA regs (or any subsequent law) so all such bridges take the same form. 

This is applied to road crossings as much as it is rail.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Thanks for the news and pics but what are they like to use and are the seats comfortable?

Opinions vary, but I found the seats comfortable, carriages seemed very quiet and smooth running too as the engines are not under the floor. Acceleration and braking seemed quite vivid on the first one I travelled on (it was making up time following a delay and doing a good job of it!) Not sure what they're like under the wires.

From the outside in diesel mode, setting off from stations they sound more like an EMU than the 153/156/170 they replaced. As a user I prefer them to their predecessors, I used to travel from Norwich to the West Midlands a lot on 158/170, a 755 would have been much more relaxing.

Thank you for that. Do you have any links to the afore mentioned DDA regulations before we close this topic for both the near and distant future? 

I believe that it is safe to say that anyone who wishes to continue this topic beyond this point will need to create an additional thread dedicated to the matter. If one does make a dedicated thread, I would be happy to participate in any and all convocations within it, but until then discussion on this topic should cease. 

Edited by tgk300

3 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Opinions vary, but I found the seats comfortable, carriages seemed very quiet and smooth running too as the engines are not under the floor. Acceleration and braking seemed quite vivid on the first one I travelled on (it was making up time following a delay and doing a good job of it!) Not sure what they're like under the wires.

From the outside in diesel mode, setting off from stations they sound more like an EMU than the 153/156/170 they replaced. As a user I prefer them to their predecessors, I used to travel from Norwich to the West Midlands a lot on 158/170, a 755 would have been much more relaxing.

How loud are the engines from the outside of the train when pulling away in comparison to a Class 150 or 158/159? My guess would be considerably louder due to the close proximity of the engines, but having never heard one of these in real life, I can only guess . 

4 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

How loud are the engines from the outside of the train when pulling away in comparison to a Class 150 or 158/159? My guess would be considerably louder due to the close proximity of the engines, but having never heard one of these in real life, I can only guess . 

I find them quieter with the way they set off at my local station... which is disappointing, all those v8s at once could be a lovely sound! 

12 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Here is my video on the first day in public service last July. 

A lot quieter than a 15x

They’re a lot quite then a class 15x, although the engines are idling. What I was on about is where they are starting at a station and going to full power straight away almost, that’s when we will be able to see how much noise these units make.