Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

The 12 car AC only version will obviously be using Ipswich Tunnel pretty intensively on the Lpl St to Norwich services.

Does the restriction apply to all Flirts or just those with a diesel power wagon?

Aren’t there also plans to run the bi-mode Flirts on new through services to London, eg Kings Lynn?

Edited by black and decker boy

I'd have expected them to run the Harwich branch too, guess those will be bombardier units?

Braintree, Walton & Southminster too, if those are just branch trains to/from Witham/ Thorpe/ Wickford.

Bombardier units for Harwich, clacton and Braintree,southminster and Southend Vic. flirts for livst-nor and stanstead express (12car emu) sudbury, esk, Cambridge, Peterborough, harwich (cambridge-harwich boat train), Yarmouth and lowestoft for the 3/4car demu units. Edited by Siggie in the east

The 12 car AC only version will obviously be using Ipswich Tunnel pretty intensively on the Lpl St to Norwich services.

Does the restriction apply to all Flirts or just those with a diesel power wagon?

Aren’t there also plans to run the bi-mode Flirts on new through services to London, eg Kings Lynn?

I believe it will be the Bombardier units to Lynn as well.

At the moment all flirts are banned from running on the down main through ipswich tunnel, as well as movements over certain points.

The bi modes will be running a new service from norwich to stanstead though.

Edited by Siggie in the east

Currently there is the odd working of DMUs to parkeston well at least one on an evening that I seem to get stuck behind

Oh yes, good point!! The "boat train". Been off a week and I'm forgetting everything already!! 2A04 lowestoft to Harwich in the morning, 2W06 Harwich to Cambridge as its return working and then the evening service, which more often than not recently has been cancelled at ipswich due to unit shortages, the return working of 2w20 starting at ipswich.

We do try to run it in the right place but it comes to us late from Cambridge! Sorry! ;)

Currently there is the odd working of DMUs to parkeston well at least one on an evening that I seem to get stuck behind

Oh yes, good point!! The "boat train". Been off a week and I'm forgetting everything already!! 2A04 lowestoft to Harwich in the morning, 2W06 Harwich to Cambridge as its return working and then the evening service, which more often than not recently has been cancelled at ipswich due to unit shortages, the return working of 2w20 starting at ipswich.

We do try to run it in the right place but it comes to us late from Cambridge! Sorry! ;)

• Like 1

Didn't realise Ipswich men went to Harwich, I knew they did parkeston

When I've been working ipswich panel, the station supervisor usually tells us when it gets cancelled and the reason is either unit shortages or driver shortages so I guess there's only a handful of guys who sign the route with the curve rather than into the platform and back out.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder when we'll get these hideous things coming over here to gauge then? I don't think there'll be too many issues, but I wonder what the RA of them is....

Presumably they can't couple to 387's either....

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I've been working ipswich panel, the station supervisor usually tells us when it gets cancelled and the reason is either unit shortages or driver shortages so I guess there's only a handful of guys who sign the route with the curve rather than into the platform and back out.

Things like I don't sign the curve winds me up... You sign the roads either side of it , you can see the only signal.... Watch the pan doesn't boil over with the boil in the bag driver!

I wonder when we'll get these hideous things coming over here to gauge then? I don't think there'll be too many issues, but I wonder what the RA of them is....

Presumably they can't couple to 387's either....

Andy G

I believe they are replacing the 387's as well, GA are replacing everything so at the end of it, only 745/755 flirts and the Bombardier units should remain, although a few 156/153s may have to remain for a while to do the Sheringham service due to the bi mode flirts being too heavy for the section from cromer to sheringham.

• RMweb Gold

I believe they are replacing the 387's as well, GA are replacing everything so at the end of it, only 745/755 flirts and the Bombardier units should remain, although a few 156/153s may have to remain for a while to do the Sheringham service due to the bi mode flirts being too heavy for the section from cromer to sheringham.

What's happening to the 360's?

• RMweb Gold

As far as I'm aware the weight restrictions are on the bridges over Roughton road and Hall road

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Premium

Being returned their owners - who will need to find new customers, find secure storage or send them for scrap as necessary.

The joys of having the DfT focused on ‘total fleet replacement for new franchises.....

• Like 1

Off lease and available to a new TOC, same as the 379s. The 321s have hydrogen conversion now announced.

315 & 317 expected to go straight to scrap

90s & MK3s May go to semi- retirement on charter / rail tours or locos to a FOC. Any surplus likely to go to scrap sooner rather than later.

Most 153/156/170 off lease except a few as cover for Flirts.

Hmm, you are continuing to post nonsense. 

1. ROG spot hired a DB Cargo UK 66 for the delivery move. 

2. GA are not driving the FLIRTS, nothing to do with GA currently. As I have said before, it is a ROSCO and Stadler acceptance/commissioning period with partner ROG. Once the units are approved, there shall be a period before they are accepted by GA - at that point GA drivers can start training. 

You are missing the fact that the ROSCO, Rock Rail has ordered/purchased these units. Thus any 'discussion' so claimed, would be between them and their partners. Ie. The manufacture - Stadler and the delivery agents - RailAdventure and ROG. 

ROG are not involved in the delivery of the units, that's DB Cargo's job. ROG are doing all the testing.

Off lease and available to a new TOC, same as the 379s. The 321s have hydrogen conversion now announced.

315 & 317 expected to go straight to scrap

90s & MK3s May go to semi- retirement on charter / rail tours or locos to a FOC. Any surplus likely to go to scrap sooner rather than later.

Most 153/156/170 off lease except a few as cover for Flirts.

90001 is going to York Museum to be kept as a museum piece, the rest will be going to Freightliner apparently.

Off lease and available for redeployment possibly involving conversion for DC operation on South Eastern (I don't know this as fact, it is inferred from various circumstances).

90001 is going to York Museum to be kept as a museum piece, the rest will be going to Freightliner apparently.

90001 may go for use with Freightliner first, and join the national collection later, at the end of its working life.

• RMweb Gold

I heard over the weekend that the GA 379’s are going to be “tweaked” to turn them into 110mph 387’s and then the fleet divided between Great Northern so they can release the rest of the 365’s to the ROSCO and Great Western to bolster their fleet now that they’ve taken on HEx. Sounds quite plausible.