Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

Be a little while yet, but then that will be it - no variation except the number

I dunno Skip, much of the staff on the GEML are boney fidey closet cranks or know the value of a local press naming junket. Even if you don't want to drill holes in your brand new hardware, I'd be surprised if we didn't see vinyl nameplates or somesuch appearing within a year or two.

What's the rub BTW on taking a vehicle out of set? They're numbered in sets are they?

But could mix n match vehicles if the need arose? (I'd've personally specced one each class spare driving vehicles in the build contract.)

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that they do look rather odd to my eyes, very continental and  not really very attractive. The side profile is somewhat odd, as is the placement of the windows...

I wonder if they will be problematic in service*, hansom is and hansom does so to speak....

* other than to signalmen when the service goes up the swanny

Andy G

• Like 1

I have to say that they do look rather odd to my eyes, very continental and not really very attractive. The side profile is somewhat odd, as is the placement of the windows...

I wonder if they will be problematic in service*, hansom is and hansom does so to speak....

* other than to signalmen when the service goes up the swanny

Andy G

Doesnt really matter what the rolling stock is when it goes up the swanny for us really. Though, if they don't sort the routing issues out, yes it could become a massive headache for us.

• RMweb Premium

You're right, when anything sits down its a right royal pain in the bottom. Its strange how as some real clonkers pass the box you wonder if they will ever make where they are heading for, but its usually the good uns that fall apart....

Its sad that these new trains make you start feeling nostalgic about the ones they are replacing.....

Nurse!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Mk.3 provides a valuable lesson when judging new rolling stock - don't be too hasty in making a judgement.

When the Mk.3 coaches were new they had awful seats, it was the coach that abandoned lining up all seats with windows, the air-con system wasn't great, there was that awful brake smell and no doubt other criticisms. In these days of venerating the Mk.3 as the supreme achievement of BR it tends to be forgotten just how criticised they were by many when new. And of course most enthusiasts hated HSTs for being buggies and displacing Deltics and other loco hauled trains.

Over time the seating was improved as the original seats were refurbished, people grew accustomed to the window issue and the coaches virtues such as a very smooth ride quality came to the fore. The design was also very well engineered in terms of safety.

When I look at newer trains maybe we will never grow to like them but it is quite possible that as they drop down the initial leg of the bath tub curve and settle into service and we grow accustomed to them we will look back on them as excellent trains. I don't remember enthusiasts in particular being positive about the 156's when they were new yet they are another well regarded train.

One thing I'll say about the Mk3 (HST version) coach was that with only a few minor grumbles they were undoubtedly one of the easiest vehicles ever produced on which to carry out interior cleaning.  Absolutely superb in that respect so definitely one that found favour with some of us operating folk who ran carriage cleaning depots.

• Like 2

You say that, the second new unit delivered (which hasn't run since its arrival), had it's handbrake on all the way from Stadler in Europe, hence why we haven't seen it again. DBC and Stadler are arguing over whos to blame and whos going to pay for repairs.

DB Cargo UK has nothing to do with delivery from Poland. RailAdventure operate continental moves and ROG the British Isles moves. 

• RMweb Premium

You say that, the second new unit delivered (which hasn't run since its arrival), had it's handbrake on all the way from Stadler in Europe, hence why we haven't seen it again. DBC and Stadler are arguing over whos to blame and whos going to pay for repairs.

Not a very good brake then!

I remember a BG that had its hand brake left on, it left Padd and got kicked off at Slough.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Todays runs were with the pant up but not drawing power.

11 January 2019

Gissing

755405 on 5Q70, 13:38, Diss - Trowse Jn (13:59) - test run

post-6662-0-49018200-1547240818_thumb.jpg

Tivetshall

755405 on 5Q71, 14:06, Trowse Jn - Diss (14:26) - test run

post-6662-0-77347200-1547240831_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

They certainly aren't hanging around getting this out onto the network and under test.  It's good to see.

Not good for me mate as I move a lot of GAs real trains around

The more problems they find the better!

You say that, the second new unit delivered (which hasn't run since its arrival), had it's handbrake on all the way from Stadler in Europe, hence why we haven't seen it again.

Just how does that happen? Really.

And presumably the dragging brake didn't warm the wheels enough to trip a hot box detector en route?

Just how does that happen? Really.

And presumably the dragging brake didn't warm the wheels enough to trip a hot box detector en route?

Believe me, we were scratching our heads as well. There are hot axle box detectors all over the place before colchester which could have stopped it. There's a YouTube video of it passing manningtree, i think, and you could hear a strange noise coming from it, bit like flat spots and squeaking, which led us to believe that the handbrake may have been on for only some of the journey, say ripple lane to crown point. So when I previously mentioned that Stadler and DBC are in discussions over whos to blame, is because it was a DBC loco and driver that moved it from Dagenham to norwich and neither know how the damage has been done.

This info came from a GA driver during a cab ride I took before Xmas.

• RMweb Gold

Believe me, we were scratching our heads as well. There are hot axle box detectors all over the place before colchester which could have stopped it. There's a YouTube video of it passing manningtree, i think, and you could hear a strange noise coming from it, bit like flat spots and squeaking, which led us to believe that the handbrake may have been on for only some of the journey, say ripple lane to crown point. So when I previously mentioned that Stadler and DBC are in discussions over whos to blame, is because it was a DBC loco and driver that moved it from Dagenham to norwich and neither know how the damage has been done.

When it passed me at Gissing I didn't notice anything unusual

• RMweb Gold

Ok - last set of photos I'll publish - at least until the unit changes !

12 January 2019

755405 on 5Q65, 11:06, Trowse Jn - Diss Recp. - vice Diss (11:26),  test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

typically it went straight into the loop rather than into the station and then reversing back into the loop.

post-6662-0-43689400-1547327155_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-63271200-1547327180_thumb.jpg

The old Vanguard still holds the power - for now.

90013 and 82118 on 1P33, 11:30, Norwich - London Liverpool Street (13:17)

post-6662-0-59576800-1547327210_thumb.jpg

I then headed North off Diss, aiming for a foot crossing about 500yds away, its just visible in the first show, to get the departure from the loop, on the way though I discovered that the fence line by the loop exit had been completely cleared of the trees and brambles which had been present only a month or so back when I was looking for a place to photo the RHT, happy days !

82127 and 90002, Eastern Daily Press Serving Norfolk for 140 years, on 1P22, 11:00, London Liverpool Street - Norwich (12:48) and 755405 on 5Q68, 12:38, Diss Recp. - Trowse Jn (12:59) - vice Diss, test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

post-6662-0-93013200-1547327391_thumb.jpg

755405 on 5Q68, 12:38, Diss Recp. - Trowse Jn (12:59) - vice Diss, test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

post-6662-0-11311100-1547327452_thumb.jpg

I persuaded the Mrs to stay for another Diss and back test run so I could capture it at Diss station.

755405 on 5Q69, 13:06, Trowse Jn - Diss (13:26) - test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

post-6662-0-87140600-1547327568_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-14803300-1547327597_thumb.jpg

The red poster visible inside the train reads ..

post-6662-0-81898000-1547327629_thumb.jpg

82103 and 90003 on 1P26, 12:00, London Liverpool Street - Norwich (13:48) and 755405 on 5Q70, 13:38, Diss - Trowse Jn (13:59) - test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

post-6662-0-04282400-1547327661_thumb.jpg

755405 on 5Q70, 13:38, Diss - Trowse Jn (13:59) - test run, pantograph up but running on diesel

post-6662-0-45543000-1547327707_thumb.jpg

taken with my 400mm lens, and a 2x converter making an effective 800mm - but it becomes manual focus, which is quite tricky at that amount of zoom, and trying to keep the camera steady.

post-6662-0-09145100-1547327738_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

DB Cargo UK has nothing to do with delivery from Poland. RailAdventure operate continental moves and ROG the British Isles moves. 

Hmm, you are continuing to post nonsense. 

1. ROG spot hired a DB Cargo UK 66 for the delivery move. 

2. GA are not driving the FLIRTS, nothing to do with GA currently. As I have said before, it is a ROSCO and Stadler acceptance/commissioning period with partner ROG. Once the units are approved, there shall be a period before they are accepted by GA - at that point GA drivers can start training. 

You are missing the fact that the ROSCO, Rock Rail has ordered/purchased these units. Thus any 'discussion' so claimed, would be between them and their partners. Ie. The manufacture - Stadler and the delivery agents - RailAdventure and ROG. 

I guess that at some point there will be one going from Sudbury to Colchester, but apart from that they will presumably be staying the other side of the Ipswich tunnel.

Yes, all 3/4car units will operate countryside of the tunnel except for 1 for sudbury.

A 3 car unit will operate the marks tey-sudbury working, being stabled in colchester yard and refilling taking place in the balfour yard. We saw the new timetable last week and it seems the colchester-sudbury working has been amended to marks tey-sudbury now, too many other scheduled trains. Also, the units have not yet been cleared to use platform 6 at colchester due to gauging issues.

Edited by Siggie in the east