Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Ahhhh. One of my pet hates. When did railway stations morph into train stations?

Why does it take 5 weeks and a total closure to build 80m of platform?

Hopefully they'll be doing other stuff during the closure. But even if not, looks like the job is demolishing the existing structure and building a new one. A month seems a bit on the long side, but it's not a weekend job either. And trains clearly can't call whilst there's no platform.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Hopefully they'll be doing other stuff during the closure. But even if not, looks like the job is demolishing the existing structure and building a new one. A month seems a bit on the long side, but it's not a weekend job either. And trains clearly can't call whilst there's no platform.

Also during that T3 closure, bridge improvements are being done and other track maintenance as the infrastructure isn't ready for the 4car bi-modes due to their weight.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Ahhhh. One of my pet hates. When did railway stations morph into train stations?

Why does it take 5 weeks and a total closure to build 80m of platform?

I blame the BBC. If they had not started using this americanism it would have spread more slowly. That said, there is a certain logic to it. You don't board a bus at a road station.

As to spending £1M and 5 weeks to build a shortish platform: Sheer insanity!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

Fair point, I suppose no point in calling at a station with no platforms!

“Train Station “ is here to stay unfortunately.

It’s already being used on some maps, satnav, some city/town guides and on street signs in a few places, apart from becoming common parlance in the print and broadcast media.

The horse has already bolted, the ship has sailed......

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, beast66606 said:

DAS806276.jpg.a545bc0a4b70896e47546a461b0b35d1.jpgDAS806281.jpg.7de6dc8bd8b22da912830922e62ee478.jpg

I know some on here already hate them, but I think these look rather smart. And they should be an enormous step-change in quality over the current trains. 

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. 

Paul

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I seriously wonder if they can deliver the platform lengthening as quickly as has been stated. Littleport was supposed to get the down side platform lengthened to 8 cars by May last year, then it was to be May 19, and it is possibly May 20. (Although the engineers measuring up for it think they will do it June -July time this year).

One thing that is nice to see is that the new trains do have a yellow panel....

Andy G

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, uax6 said:

I seriously wonder if they can deliver the platform lengthening as quickly as has been stated. Littleport was supposed to get the down side platform lengthened to 8 cars by May last year, then it was to be May 19, and it is possibly May 20. (Although the engineers measuring up for it think they will do it June -July time this year).

One thing that is nice to see is that the new trains do have a yellow panel....

Andy G

Judging by the time taken for some of the platform extension works on the GWML I would think dates further into the future are more likely.   However if the work is to be done during shutdowns for other jobs it should be quicker.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think these are some of the nicest looking of the newer generation trains on the network, quite a chiselled and rakish streamlined look and I have a soft spot for articulated trains. Be interesting to see how these ride, it'd be nice if Stadler could crack the ride quality problems that have bedevilled many modern trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think these are some of the nicest looking of the newer generation trains on the network, quite a chiselled and rakish streamlined look and I have a soft spot for articulated trains. Be interesting to see how these ride, it'd be nice if Stadler could crack the ride quality problems that have bedevilled many modern trains.

I still think Anglia could do worse than paint one up as an APT-P tribute act.  Articulated, with a taper body and centre "power car" it could do a pretty neat impersonation of the APT-P!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I still think Anglia could do worse than paint one up as an APT-P tribute act.  Articulated, with a taper body and centre "power car" it could do a pretty neat impersonation of the APT-P!

OT, I think a Pendo might suit APT-P livery. They are, after all, grandson of APT!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

OT, I think a Pendo might suit APT-P livery. They are, after all, grandson of APT!

I think a Pendolino in APT-E livery would be awesome but I can’t ever see one ever done.

On 12/02/2019 at 13:42, russ p said:

Be careful what you wish for I've been told the seats are not very good in the things

More negativity based on hot air.  We get it. You don't like non-UK built trains.

How about giving them a chance? After all they're not even in service yet.

• Agree 1

Despite Yahoo!Mail's insistence it's terrific, it patently is to the contrary, so not having Anglia-Gen updates, what I can only assume to be a daylight test-run drifted south through Needham 'bout ten past noon today.

I hope Crown Point gets the carriage washer fixed/working/available for these. And indeed the loco hauled sets for their demise, which are currently filthy externally. The folly of a predominantly white paint-job coming home to roost...

C6T. 

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Despite Yahoo!Mail's insistence it's terrific, it patently is to the contrary, so not having Anglia-Gen updates, what I can only assume to be a daylight test-run drifted south through Needham 'bout ten past noon today.

I hope Crown Point gets the carriage washer fixed/working/available for these. And indeed the loco hauled sets for their demise, which are currently filthy externally. The folly of a predominantly white paint-job coming home to roost...

C6T. 

The carriage washer at crown point has been partially dismantled due to 'gauging' issues according to the signaller there, so that the new units can be shunted onto the wash road without damaging both the units and the washer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Use realtime trains - the moves are all on there

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tivetshall

18 February 2019

37800, Cassiopeia, and 755407 on 5Q56, 14:59, Ipswich - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (15:46) - 755407 failed (low fuel) and went into Diss loop to be rescued

DAS807178.jpg.5267e726e54393a362e3cdc23a6ad3bd.jpg

Edited by beast66606
added "low fuel" as reason for failure
  • Like 8