Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the little triangle on the end signifies?

I had a quick search, but variations on "Stadler Anglia Flirt Triangle" only bring up references to the Wensum triangle, and searching just "flirt triangle" isn't very helpful here.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the little triangle on the end signifies?

I had a quick search, but variations on "Stadler Anglia Flirt Triangle" only bring up references to the Wensum triangle, and searching just "flirt triangle" isn't very helpful here.

This way up ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Doing a bit of digging, the Stansted 379s appear to have a larger triangle on the first class end, so maybe it's a local thing. I can't see any yellow stripes on either end on the Flirt pics above.

Don't think there's going to be any first class on these - they're all cattle standard class.

• RMweb Gold

Don't think there's going to be any first class on these - they're all cattle standard class.

Just checked my photos of the interior and the publicity handouts that I picked up a few months ago, and there's definitely no first class in the 3 and 4 car bi-mode Flirts.

According to the handout one of the end coaches has dedicated interior space for bike storage (also shown by a graphic on the side of the coach).  Perhaps that's what the triangle on the end is there to signify??

I think a lot of MU sets have something like this don't they? GA class 321s and 360s certainly do.

My understanding was that it is to indicate to platform staff whether the approaching unit has its disabled accessible area closer to the approaching end or not. So they can get a bit of a head start in getting the ramp (and passenger) they're assisting with to the right location. 

Probably less necessary on fleets where the accessible area is in the middle of the unit, or where the unit is symmetrical (like class 700s). 

J

• RMweb Gold

Diesel power? Can't see the pan being up, but not all that easy to tell.

Yes - not permitted to run using the OHLE yet

* edited as the original wording implied it had to run under OHLE rather than not using it !

• RMweb Gold

I'm new to this thread and was previously unaware of these units.

Am I right in thinking it's effectively a 4-car EMU with a diesel generator van plonked in the middle rather than being bi-modal throughout?

If so, what a damned good idea, as everything else can be standard and the DMU can presumably become a straight electric almost instantly if/when electrification is extended.  

John

PS. Is there a gangway through the "power car"?

Edited by Dunsignalling