• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Ha! You should see some of the cuts on my board joins! That's high tolerance engineering you've got

I’m my own worst critic, I can see faults and errors in my own work others would never see.....I drive myself crazy sometimes 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was tempted to rust up the rails but I quite like it as it is, I think rusting up the rails might be too much

However, I do need to paint the buffer stops and I assumed these would be rusty........would you agree?

• Agree 1

Have a trundle around Google images Chris at colour photos of railway track and you'll most of the time find that rusted rail in use is the same dark grey-brown colour you have used already. I don't think it needs more. Brighter, more orangey rust tends to appear on unused tracks where there isn't a constant deluge of general grime moving about the area.

Coal stage is looking a lot better now that its grimy too.

• RMweb Gold

..........I don't think it needs more. Brighter, more orangey rust tends to appear on unused tracks where there isn't a constant deluge of general grime moving about the area

I agree and I'm happy with the track/ rail colour, I wasn't sure what colour to paint the buffer stop but I think I'll go for a dark rust/oily steel colour

Coal stage is looking a lot better now that its grimy too.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if I'd gone too far with it

• Like 1

That's all looking very nice and grimy. I'd paint the buffers the same sleeper grime with a bit of additional oily weathering, most photo's I've seen they are all a similar colour to the track. I'd paint the buffer faces white then chip bits of paint away or drybrush over them. There's always exceptions, do a bit of googling and find something you could copy.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That's all looking very nice and grimy. I'd paint the buffers the same sleeper grime with a bit of additional oily weathering, most photo's I've seen they are all a similar colour to the track. I'd paint the buffer faces white then chip bits of paint away or drybrush over them. There's always exceptions, do a bit of googling and find something you could copy.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I’d painted a buffer stop in the same colour but it didn’t look right (too flat and lifeless) so I’m going to use railmatch oily steel too

80A665D8-7D80-4744-B14B-82A011E80476.jpeg.1fbffcdbba442cf42dd39bb660b10127.jpeg

I was planning on the flakey white paint.... I was inspired by your use of the hairspray method although for such a small area I’m sure I’d get away with just using wet n dry paper to remove some of the white and dry brush as suggested

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I would try a wash of various rust colours there, maybe a fairly bright orangey tone first which you should wipe off with a lint-free cloth, or sponge, then maybe a black or sepia over that, also wiped off. Its all about experimenting until that eureka moment happens. The trick is remembering the recipe that got you to that point!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That buffer stop is a fine colour to start with, depending on the look you want could apply a light wash of white the drybrush some oily, grimy colours over that. As martin say's various washes could be used to add some variation as well.

Steve.

Buffer and Track colours are looking superb matey, well done and keep the pics and info coming.:good:

BTW, Your Button makes me chuckle every time I see one of your Post's.

I do wish I'd thought of it. Crackin.:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, sb67 said:

That does look the part, did you use the oily steel? I might try and get some.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I just used tamiya* weathering powders over the sleeper grime base coat just to see how it would turn out

*set B -  Snow, Soot and Rust (I happened to use them in that order too)

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I’ve still got track to lay and wire up, haven’t had much available ‘play time’ this week

Anyway after painting and weathering the buffer stop I decided to ballast that length of track

I’ve never done ballasting on an actual layout and I’ve only ever done a test piece once before so this was a bit of a scary moment

I need to re-weather the track but it looks better than I thought it would

A8FB7A62-8B99-493D-AC12-3642849BE6D3.jpeg

There are are a few stones that have strayed into the sleepers but that’s an easy fix

502D1944-3196-4EC5-8CA1-2C623C6E25D6.jpeg.17acfa3c5f18fc3944bee47cf4b761cf.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That looks great Chris. What method did you use? Here's the but though, I know you have to weather it but would it look this good in a yard and have shoulders to the ballast?

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That looks great Chris. What method did you use?

Thanks, I just brushed it on and used Deluxe Materials ballast bond

24 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

........I know you have to weather it but would it look this good in a yard and have shoulders to the ballast?

Have I made the edges too neat? or should I ballast the whole area?

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I'm no expert, Chris but this looks more line mainline ballasting, nice neat straight-edged shoulders, ballast level with the tops of the sleepers. Sleepers tended to disappear under ballast, ash, muck and rubbish in loco yard areas. I think my loco area is too neat and the ballast needs topping up.

IMGP1658.JPG.e870919ccec4097697cebc7cc64aab9e.JPG

The mainlines are at the bottom of the photo with neat edges and a cess of ash running along side. The top lines are the loco shed area, no shoulders just ballast laid out flush across the area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1