• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, longchap said:

I once spent a frustrating 45 minutes attempting bright red lipstick on a blond driver of a tiny Austin 7 with my big glass and smallest paintbrush and failed miserably. After a cup of tea, I sharpened a cocktail stick and splashed the warpaint on a treat by eye, so it's often a case of being fresh and adopting a different approach

I think I’ll have to wait until I have enough room for O gauge before considering that kind of detail, although I’d not really considered adding lipstick to the footplate crew :lol:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I think I’ll have to wait until I have enough room for O gauge before considering that kind of detail, although I’d not really considered adding lipstick to the footplate crew :lol:

Ha, change the colour and hand up a tad and hey presto, mousto-man!

:good:

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1

I think that the figures look good and certainly better than the invisible crews in all of my locos.

I've painted a lot of 1/35 scale military figures in the past and you can get carried away painting eyes, buttons and all kinds of things on those. But obviously you have to dial it back a little with 1/76. I still use the same techniques though. A darker colour to start, overbrushed with a lighter shade of the same colour helps bring out the details, or add them in some cases, followed by a dark wash to blend things in where needed.

The only figure on my layout so far is the signalman and like your drivers, he's half hidden anyway.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I think that the figures look good and certainly better than the invisible crews in all of my locos.

Thanks Rob

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The only figure on my layout so far is the signalman and like your drivers, he's half hidden anyway.

mine too

B7B68627-BF6E-42C9-87F4-A1110F1F857B.jpeg.8d903003193416f47cca47cd667acc7c.jpeg

This guy turned out okay though

1D1BFE1B-C14A-4316-A53C-E67B577F5045.jpeg.73b304dd18964dbe68958bdb2e417780.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I’d already fitted etched plates to the 8750, 64xx and the 58xx so I had a look on modelmasters website last night to get number plates for the 57xx

Unfortunately 8709 must be out of stock because it’s missing from the list :huh:

Anyway I found the fire irons (that I bought about two years ago :blush:) and found these in the same box :)

31B1A992-E3E3-4A8B-990A-DBF6FC9561E0.jpeg.eff88202ccaefeea41610c9841f578fb.jpeg

I’m definitely guilty of buying things, putting them somewhere safe and then forgetting I’ve bought them :blush:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m definitely guilty of buying things, putting them somewhere safe and then forgetting I’ve bought them :blush:

I’m also guilty of buying things and then not doing anything with them for months/years :lol:

• Agree 9

42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m also guilty of buying things and then not doing anything with them for months/years :lol:

Try about thirty five years! 

Happy new year Chris, keep up the good work, if nothing else it's guilting me into actually doing something. :jester:

• Funny 1

I think that just about all of us have slowed down the last few months.

You would expect that winter would see an increase in productivity, but I think that it may be a kind of lethargy born of not being able to get out and about as much as we would like.

I think that it has resulted in a lack of enthusiasm for indoor activities because we all thinking of being outside.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Happy New Year, Chuffers. Those GWR crew figures on Modeu website look good for your 64xx but I note their photo has a figure from there other range!

I’ve got a driver with his right arm out operating a regulator and leaning out to the left (so he’s handed the wrong way)

Therefore I’ve cut his right arm off, reattached it so it’s by his side and he’s being repurposed as a fireman leaning out of the cab* I might have a shovel somewhere to put in his right hand (not that you’d be able to see it)

*waste not, want not. Thought it was worth a try using what I have

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve got a driver with his right arm out operating a regulator and leaning out to the left (so he’s handed the wrong way)

Therefore I’ve cut his right arm off, reattached it so it’s by his side and he’s being repurposed as a fireman leaning out of the cab* I might have a shovel somewhere to put in his right hand (not that you’d be able to see it)

*waste not, want not. Thought it was worth a try using what I have

I did that, ordered the wrong handed driver......so now he is leaning on a fence chatting to a scanned version of me....!

3932.jpg.0f6f0f021d60258e6c58594e8c8f1971.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, KNP said:

I did that, ordered the wrong handed driver......so now he is leaning on a fence chatting to a scanned version of me....!

3932.jpg.0f6f0f021d60258e6c58594e8c8f1971.jpg

What a great idea! I never thought of putting him somewhere else on the layout, due to my lack of knowledge at the time (and still) I bought one of each hand.

here is Frank….enfireman next to his mirrored twin

42066046-AC38-4803-9AFE-5C5041B168BE.jpeg.9a14c39b244b677691d97e5c2126ef2b.jpeg

I’m not too concerned about it being a bit rough because once inside the loco you won’t see it, in fact I probably would have gotten away with not reattaching it at all….but that seemed cruel

I’ve fitted the plates to 8709…

D9CCF183-17EA-4513-8101-17850F86A9D8.jpeg.538c5568c2a08898b9d691aabc88fa9e.jpeg

….and 8751 (sitting on the platform?) awaiting its fire irons and stay alive thingy to be fitted. I’ll leave that till next year :lol:

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3