• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

When I remember, I put a few drops of matting agent into most makes of "matt" finish paints as most seem to dry with a slight sheen. Only Tamiya flat colours seem to be truly matt.

I’ve gotten into the habit of applying a coat of Matt to everything I paint, mostly to help to seal any weathering powders

5 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Also consider the natural sheen of the oil-based paints that would have been used at the time.   The only truly flat finishes I've seen from the time are Parkerized finishes on military equipment.   

Good point, that is something I’d not considered

Although I have already applied the Matt  

AE274059-9203-4910-9600-E5DBA0113127.jpeg

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

When I remember, I put a few drops of matting agent into most makes of "matt" finish paints as most seem to dry with a slight sheen. Only Tamiya flat colours seem to be truly matt.

What do you use Rowsley17D?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2019 at 19:33, Martin S-C said:

That has turned out as a very nice model. Well done. I like the fancy chimney very much.

@Martin S-C I've put the chimney on Shapways for anyone to purchase.........although I don't think anyone will buy one when they see the price 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5CLH47YCB/industrial-factory-chimney-oo-ho?li=shareProduct

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Are you not including the larger square base as well? (as it looks a little top-heavy without it).

I can do.........leave it with me ;)

Should I keep one of the three side flat? (without the stone work and overhang) 

Eventually I'm going to do a 'kit' comprising of the chimney top, bottom, base and different intermediate sections for people to mix and match the height

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, sb67 said:

What do you use Rowsley17D?

Steve.

Hi Steve, Vallejo Matt Medium (17ml bottle) a few drops does the trick. I must have picked it up at a show somewhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Chris, if you have a teeny weeny pin drill bit, that door's keyhole is begging to be drilled out!

I just so happen to have some teeny weeny drill bits (the smallest being 0.3mm) I thought about making a teeny weeny pull handle too

Its a pity I’m not talented enough to make a teeny weeny key to hang out of the lock 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

On 23/07/2019 at 15:32, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Steve, Vallejo Matt Medium (17ml bottle) a few drops does the trick. I must have picked it up at a show somewhere.

Thanks Rowsley.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

What a pleasure it's been to spend the last hour or so catching up with your build, Chuff! Not remotely connected to the SDJR thing I logged into RMWeb to check, but so much more fun: there is a joy to be had from just looking at your work. Mind you, a part of me dies a little with each photo...the quality of your modelling, the precision and skill you demonstrate across the board will forever be beyond me :)

Bloody well done so far mate, you can be very proud of your layout and your work. Can't wait to see what's next!

All the best,

Schooner

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Schooner said:

What a pleasure it's been to spend the last hour or so catching up with your build, Chuff! Not remotely connected to the SDJR thing I logged into RMWeb to check, but so much more fun: there is a joy to be had from just looking at your work. Mind you, a part of me dies a little with each photo...the quality of your modelling, the precision and skill you demonstrate across the board will forever be beyond me :)

Bloody well done so far mate, you can be very proud of your layout and your work. Can't wait to see what's next!

All the best,

Schooner

Thank you for you kind words, it’s good to know my efforts are appreciated

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite having a busy week this week I’ve made a little progress on the pump house, I need to get some plasticard or styrene strips to make up some barge boards and fascia’s

I also need to weather the roof and chimney but as always I’m in no rush

F7B219CD-23FD-436A-B5F6-2E6CDA6FCA47.jpeg

8184F66A-DA85-457C-9082-FCF7FF6083B7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Additional photo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Despite having a busy week this week I’ve made a little progress on the pump house, I need to get some plasticard or styrene strips to make up some barge boards and fascia’s

I also need to weather the roof and chimney but as always I’m in no rush

60EBF3A9-F7D4-46E1-8FD8-55BBB59E3E1F.jpeg

WOW Matey, that is excellent.:good:

• RMweb Gold

As you've designed that to match the engine shed, I can see a market for such a building, as a sand dryer or workshops or another sort of associated premises.

It is very, very good.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

As you've designed that to match the engine shed, I can see a market for such a building, as a sand dryer or workshops or another sort of associated premises.

It is very, very good.

Thank you,

I’m working on drawings for a modular version of the chimney and also modular variations on the sides and ends so you can mix and match to suit

probably more expensive than kit bashing a Ratio kit though :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Made an attempt at weathering the chimney this morning

I’ve used a combination of Cidatel nuln oil, Tamiya and Humbrol powders...I’m yet to find a preferred powder as each type has its own pros and cons

I’ve tried to fade it from top to bottom but I’ve possibly gone too dark at the top, although the lighting in my ‘play room’ is awful (another job on the list)

72CB79BE-00C2-40A4-8955-B809B8BBEEBA.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve found some styrene strips in my ‘odds and sods box’ so I’ve made a start on the bargeboards, I’ll have to get some more for the side fascia’s

They’ve ended up being a smaller profile than those in the engine shed kit but I prefer the smaller section so when I ‘pull my finger out’ and get around to building the engine shed I’ll make the same for that too

D9324986-E97E-4C46-BB2D-D67D14BB3E11.jpeg.df0ab079fce8d8e674cb841c7a1cd126.jpeg

Unfortunately I’ve got other non-railway related things to get on with today 

But “we’ll get there”

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The chimney looks great, they were often blackened heavily towards the top from the breeze blowing soot every which way. Bargeboards look good too. I think you did need something on the gable ends to 'lift' things a little.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Looks great chuffinghell, nice bit of weathering. How did the nuln oil go on? After seeing someone use it it the shop I got an earth shade to try out.

Steve.

It’s water thin so it’s like a wash but with staining properties (best way I can think of describing it)

Having never used it myself I just brushed it on and worked it around with a big brush.....no idea if that’s how you’re suppose to use it though

• Informative/Useful 1

Sounds about right, I wanted to try a water based wash. I'm not expecting it to behave in the same way as enamels and I've tried vallejo washes but I fancied trying this one.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, I take it the Ratio bargeboard is to the left and yours to the right? Yours looks more in proportion to the size of the building. Just a suggestion - but could you put some pretend purlins underneath the bargeboards to lift them off the wall a little? I'm sure this would enhance the look of your building.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Chris, I take it the Ratio bargeboard is to the left and yours to the right? Yours looks more in proportion to the size of the building. Just a suggestion - but could you put some pretend purlins underneath the bargeboards to lift them off the wall a little? I'm sure this would enhance the look of your building.

Yes the Ratio one is the one on the left

I’d not thought about that, I could put a strip of plasticard behind to lift it away or attach it to the roof leaving a gap maybe

Or turn what I’ve made upside down and have a plain front?

Edited by chuffinghell