Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Wheel lining bow pen compass using the centre of the wheel or in 4mm I use curved lining provided by transfer sheets. 
valence most likely lined. Am a gcr not gnr person so happy to stand corrected.…….good luck.
richard 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 00:06, thegreenhowards said:

The final loco from my airbrush weathering session is this Heljan O2. I’ve just fitted the crew and now regard it as finished.

 

0A36CB1E-7C58-4DF1-89AA-8987AAD58BFC.jpeg.ddd82e36c4f26e6e5e0626e0dc244ebd.jpeg

 

D4D76D44-A9B1-41B7-AEE9-8524B5C220F7.jpeg.79212470cda8e7a51aac7c3e0c2cb187.jpeg

 

CCD0BFDE-986C-4F49-9F4B-3AD83E8F5C96.jpeg.bfdcdc66f7ae38aac896568946d39d5a.jpeg

 

As with the F2, this had an airbrush weathering with frame dirt and roof grey in differing proportions. I then used powders to introduce some variety and bring out the relief.

 

 

Hi Andy

The weathering looks really good on all models above. Just a couple of suggestions with the Heljan O2/4.

It would benefit from a fall plate between loco and tender. Also the handrails on the left side of the tender should be full height. It's hard to understand how Heljan got this wrong on all its O2s, other than to assume they looked at the left side in some photos of locos with flared top tenders from J38s which had short handrails when first attached to an O2 which were lengthened at first shopping.

Also when I weather a loco if I want some limescale from leaking washout plugs I add this with white paint before the airbrush stage which then nicely tones it down and blends it in.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 20:44, thegreenhowards said:

Yesterday I more or less finished the lining on my C12.

 

A0B80303-0BEA-4572-9EDD-F6C0A35B514B.jpeg.9064d8d91223dd499781086291ea51c9.jpeg
 

7F7B7A8C-5C3B-4601-BA51-FB949C8D7151.jpeg.27110bfa4ce5e10a9b618df28a94c1c7.jpeg

 

7B64268A-A985-4795-9177-EF9DF67FD7D5.jpeg.ed6b688311a5680f31036534c50cbd86.jpeg

 

This was all done with Fox transfers and I think it’s come out well, although not perfect close up. If anyone spots and errors or omissions, please let me know.

 

The bit which I’m not sure about is the valance (if that’s the right word - the brown bit along the bottom). Should this be lined? The prototype photos aren’t clear as they’re  black and white so it’s difficult enough to work out what brown and what’s black, let alone whether the brown is lined. The preserved N2 appears not to be lined there while the C2 is. Either way it will have a black pipe running along it so any lining would be largely hidden!

 

Today’s job is painting the wheels and cab. The wheels are going to be really hard to line - any tips?

 

Andy

 

 

Hi again Andy

 

In regards the valence (yes that is correct name) it should be lined. I have photos taken on my last 3 visits to UK (2008, 2013 and 2017) of the J52, No 1, C1 and C2 all in their GN livery and all have the valence lined out in red lines top and bottom and joined at the ends. I've not seen the N2 in recent times so can't comment on the accuracy of its current livery, even though I'm a member of the owning society.

 

Below is a photo of the C1 at Shildon in 2017 which shows this clearly.

 

Andrew

 

1252735283_UK0_6218s.jpg.7f58d48b77b48c340a05ff1436ef5602.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/gresleys-quad-art-coaches

5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hi again Andy

 

In regards the valence (yes that is correct name) it should be lined. I have photos taken on my last 3 visits to UK (2008, 2013 and 2017) of the J52, No 1, C1 and C2 all in their GN livery and all have the valence lined out in red lines top and bottom and joined at the ends. I've not seen the N2 in recent times so can't comment on the accuracy of its current livery, even though I'm a member of the owning society.

 

Below is a photo of the C1 at Shildon in 2017 which shows this clearly.

 

Andrew

 

1252735283_UK0_6218s.jpg.7f58d48b77b48c340a05ff1436ef5602.jpg

Thanks Andrew,


I’ll get it lined. It will be mainly covered by a vacuum pipe so I only need to do the extreme ends.

 

Andy


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ian Kirk has recently reintroduced his O gauge quad arts and I’ve been putting the sides together in front of the footy over the last few days. Here are the four vehicles for an all third set.

 

9F6618F6-D5CC-4F02-AC30-2FD5B05C5B38.jpeg.7ee2e298be763802ed6e288b87d80b77.jpeg

 

These are from his ‘cut and carve’ range which means that in addition to having the glue all the bits together some parts need to be cut down to size with beading reinstated. In this case it’s the ends of the all third coaches with an extra bit on the brake as shown below. The part with three panels needs to be let into the sides.

926AF1D2-2400-4391-98C2-C771825DC3A9.jpeg.63d95f331ae79836301dc5ef36ecb6ef.jpeg
 

I haven’t done that part yet as I’m stuck on the configuration of the brakes. The picture below shows a close up of the two sides. Apart from the 3 panel section bit to be let in, this is consistent with the Kirk instructions and diagram (72) in ‘LNER Standard Gresley Coaches’ by Harris. However the pictures I can find seem to contradict the position of the guards door. The earlier versions with recessed brake end seem to have the door in this position below, but they have different ventilators. The later pictures see, to show the guards door and panel inboard of it in the photo below swapped over.

FD4AED37-B8A3-40EF-9D34-EF468CB11E8B.jpeg.173988641028aa97019db6ebaaae6850.jpeg
 

As an example look at the picture of the quad art behind N2, 4757 in this article.

 

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/gresleys-quad-art-coaches-history

 

Based on this I think I need to swap the two panels over. I’d be grateful for confirmation from any quad art experts out there.

 

My other concern is how to create the illuminated destination window in the guard’s compartment. Can anyone give me a tip / suggestion on this?

 

Andy

 

 

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not entirely sure that I've understood the question, and I certainly wouldn't want to set myself up as a 'quad-art expert', but for what it's worth, as far as I can see, all the GN section quads, early or late, had double doors to the guard's compartment, with the guard's door (the one with the droplight), always being the left hand one, as per the upper side in the photograph above.

 

The arrangement on the lower side is not one I've seen.  Even if it was used on any of the quads, which I  don't think it was, it would want the handle on the other side of the guard's door.

 

D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

I'm not entirely sure that I've understood the question, and I certainly wouldn't want to set myself up as a 'quad-art expert', but for what it's worth, as far as I can see, all the GN section quads, early or late, had double doors to the guard's compartment, with the guard's door (the one with the droplight), always being the left hand one, as per the upper side in the photograph above.

 

The arrangement on the lower side is not one I've seen.  Even if it was used on any of the quads, which I  don't think it was, it would want the handle on the other side of the guard's door.

 

D

 

Darryl,

 

Thank you - you’ve hit the nail on the head!

 

I was slavishly trying to follow a symmetric pattern between the sides without thinking that those two panels are a pair. So I was thinking of a single guard’s door. The diagrams I have are of one side and show the upper sides while the photos of later quad arts were all of the lower side. I didn’t put two and two together - doh!

 

Easy enough to correct!

 

Andy

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve now corrected the schoolboy error which Darryl pointed out and have let in the three panel sections so they now look more like brake sides. I’ve even cut out slots for the illuminated destination blinds but still not sure how I’m going to produce them. I’m thinking that I will print onto OHP slides and try to cut out and fit in the aperture.

 

9C783FA9-D951-40E8-A77A-5E043342DB5C.jpeg.3318f5ac07f2380715036a383aa16892.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a little plug for Light railway Stores/ Narrow Planet. They do etched builders plates for specific locos, so one can get the exact plate for the loco one is building. I have previously had a pair for a 4mm N2 which were very nice but hardly readable and I couldn’t photograph them for here because they were too small. But today I received a 7mm pair for my N1 and I think they’re superb. Not quite in focus, but they are crisp in reality. They’re not cheap at £4.95 a pair but excellent value given the work involved.

 

C6F44F9E-24CF-4F22-B8C5-CF342AF8AA9D.jpeg.a92c4005f83b46924c868fbbf7b44183.jpeg

 

The N1 itself is away being fitted with synchronised steam but I’ll post another photo when I get it back and attach the works plates. 
 

No connection to Narrow Planet etc.

 

Andy

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I received my latest kit from Andy at Isinglass yesterday. This is a D.183 GNR 58’ BCL. I’ve been nagging Andy to produce this kit for some time as he produced a similiar GNR 58 footer but this one is the one which worked most out of KX in the pre Mark 1 era. It arrived on Tuesday looking like this.

 

42F42B4B-3907-4639-9217-6FB25D4276DD.jpeg.2c0f75d5477b6914518237db69536aab.jpeg

 

I spent a couple of hours sanding it on Tuesday evening and glued the sides and ends together. This was problematic as my superglue gel didn’t want to hold it, so I left it overnight and strengthened it yesterday with epoxy. Then I added the roof with epoxy and dropped the Hornby bogies into the clip on underframe. So I now have a rolling chassis.

 

FCABE53F-51E9-4D26-A9C9-D3CCCCBD1333.jpeg.621099dd7036a49d6f9a133019479218.jpeg

 

08128318-005F-4308-9C00-C60F65F00E3C.jpeg.d3b2e972915523f555052c3350b2b52f.jpeg

 

51BC27A3-8E38-4B0C-815A-C6A87F912A2D.jpeg.fdd9d04dc01f85a313c3e1bf83bf6ba5.jpeg

 

What a delightfully simple kit! It will take a lot of finishing as I have to source most of the underframe/ buffers etc. And those couplings will need replacing!

 

I intend it to form part of one of my pre mark 1 outer suburban rakes - either the teak 1948 version which is usually hauled by an Atlantic or the crimson 1952 version. Does anyone care to offer an opinion on whether these vehicles would have been in teak or coach brown in 1948?

 

Finally, the Isinglass drawing references a photo in Locomotives Illustrated 67 (page 21). I have this mag somewhere but can’t put my hands on it. If anyone has a copy available could I ask whether the photo is worth a major search of my mag stash?

 

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I received my latest kit from Andy at Isinglass yesterday. This is a D.183 GNR 58’ BCL. I’ve been nagging Andy to produce this kit for some time as he produced a similiar GNR 58 footer but this one is the one which worked most out of KX in the pre Mark 1 era. It arrived on Tuesday looking like this.

 

42F42B4B-3907-4639-9217-6FB25D4276DD.jpeg.2c0f75d5477b6914518237db69536aab.jpeg

 

I spent a couple of hours sanding it on Tuesday evening and glued the sides and ends together. This was problematic as my superglue gel didn’t want to hold it, so I left it overnight and strengthened it yesterday with epoxy. Then I added the roof with epoxy and dropped the Hornby bogies into the clip on underframe. So I now have a rolling chassis.

 

FCABE53F-51E9-4D26-A9C9-D3CCCCBD1333.jpeg.621099dd7036a49d6f9a133019479218.jpeg

 

08128318-005F-4308-9C00-C60F65F00E3C.jpeg.d3b2e972915523f555052c3350b2b52f.jpeg

 

51BC27A3-8E38-4B0C-815A-C6A87F912A2D.jpeg.fdd9d04dc01f85a313c3e1bf83bf6ba5.jpeg

 

What a delightfully simple kit! It will take a lot of finishing as I have to source most of the underframe/ buffers etc. And those couplings will need replacing!

 

I intend it to form part of one of my pre mark 1 outer suburban rakes - either the teak 1948 version which is usually hauled by an Atlantic or the crimson 1952 version. Does anyone care to offer an opinion on whether these vehicles would have been in teak or coach brown in 1948?

 

Finally, the Isinglass drawing references a photo in Locomotives Illustrated 67 (page 21). I have this mag somewhere but can’t put my hands on it. If anyone has a copy available could I ask whether the photo is worth a major search of my mag stash?

 

Andy

Lovely looking resin mouldings.
That's what resin carriage kits should be like!
Speaking as a sometime aircraft modeller, us railway modellers are getting good quality gear.
Nice work.
Regards,
Chris.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve made some progress with the Kirk O gauge quad art sides but have run into a problem. Here is the state of play.

 

8198DAC4-7C62-45CF-93D4-5CF1D743D558.jpeg.09ae58956b9ecd5d79bcf92b9361006d.jpeg
 

The problem I’m having is with the coach numbering transfers as you can see on the three sides below.

6A502F66-4BEB-455C-800F-4945299D8ABC.jpeg.cbfe5799c10d3ea97f0c1bba5626243a.jpeg

 

The compartments were so tight on the quad arts that the space for the numbers is very tight and I’m struggling to get the transfers to fit. I’ve just about squeezed them in but they look very cramped. I’ve been using Fox transfers which have worked well on the other coaches I’ve built but they’re too big for this one.

 

The choices I have are to keep on cramming them in or to find some smaller transfers. I could use Fox’s loco bufferbeam transfers as left below which are slightly smaller but less ‘florid’ than the coach transfers (right). 
 

9FBC0095-37E4-44ED-BE12-C3BD064B248E.jpeg.805d739658b77cde08ca4552fbf13b66.jpeg

 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

 

Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

The compartments were so tight on the quad arts that the space for the numbers is very tight and I’m struggling to get the transfers to fit. I’ve just about squeezed them in but they look very cramped. I’ve been using Fox transfers which have worked well on the other coaches I’ve built but they’re too big for this one.

 

Andy

I suspect the problem is the sides rather than the transfers. It looks as if the vertical beading on the lower panels is not located correctly.

crop0016.jpg.39efce37695999c67b8641c26ec099a2.jpg

Edited by MikeTrice
Photo added
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the 4mm transfers would look better, even though obviously too small.

 

Looking at Mike's photo I'm sure the 4mm kits have the same feature, and presumably this was something to do with making the panelling distinct on the moulds? In another way it's quite useful for us, giving a bit of extra space for the holes for the vertical grab rails.

 

John.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

I suspect the problem is the sides rather than the transfers. It looks as if the vertical beading on the lower panels is not located correctly.

 

I see what you mean Mike. Not much I can realistically do about that! I'm sure some people would tell me to scrape the beading off and re-apply it in the right position....but life's too short!

46 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I wonder if the 4mm transfers would look better, even though obviously too small.

 

Looking at Mike's photo I'm sure the 4mm kits have the same feature, and presumably this was something to do with making the panelling distinct on the moulds? In another way it's quite useful for us, giving a bit of extra space for the holes for the vertical grab rails.

 

John.

I've just had a look at my 4mm version and it does have the same feature. But I finished that in BR maroon so smaller transfers anyway and it wasn't a problem. I did consider 4mm transfers for this but they'd be a lot smaller. Maybe I'll try one side to see what it looks like.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy

 

Are there any coaches with 4 figure numbers? ..... I expect that you’ve already checked any way.

 

Assuming there aren’t, then the buffer beam numbers look ok to me. 

 

Also wondering whether some gentle weathering, applied and then brushed off, would collect on the beading and disguise the numbers that are touching the beading.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

Andy

 

Are there any coaches with 4 figure numbers? ..... I expect that you’ve already checked any way.

 

Assuming there aren’t, then the buffer beam numbers look ok to me. 

 

Also wondering whether some gentle weathering, applied and then brushed off, would collect on the beading and disguise the numbers that are touching the beading.

 

Thanks Jon,

 

All 5 figure numbers sadly. And most seem to use ‘fat’ numbers. Not many ‘1’s or ‘7’s which might be easier to squeeze up!

 

There’s a good post here which gives the set numbering. I’d gone for set 80 for no particular reason other than it had to be later than set 77 to suit the kit and I wanted an earlier build to increase my possible time period.

 

 

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Adding link
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The sun came out this morning which allowed me to photograph my latest (almost) complete projects.

 

Here is my 0 gauge GNR liveried ride C12.

33630A67-2072-48D4-91F3-1E3065C5640C.jpeg.f5439a04b2f9c3d60e636f6a30225387.jpeg

 

ABF31359-1C15-4182-8A99-47AA2D2B7F6A.jpeg.e3e19a45d352ee3bb18ead2d647db1e2.jpeg

 

CD109AC2-7FE2-465A-83F3-D3170D64C61C.jpeg.24c7b2eef6a0dfc89035bc6f025d100a.jpeg

 

A31B7C06-3121-4B3A-969A-B4D6EA97A7E8.jpeg.905f3e9ba3efb6e1aa5ae1990d27393f.jpeg

 

1E7FB0EB-0D57-417E-9540-45B9200F4123.jpeg.4ab7d2d9c657da925419120b124f18ea.jpeg

 

Sunlight and the close ups are a bit cruel on the paint finish, but I’m rather pleased with the way she’s come out.

 

You may ask why she’s in GNR livery. Well, I was going to paint her black but club member Rob ( @woko ) told me that she had to be green as black was boring. We’re taking a wide time period on our club 0 gauge layout to include late pre grouping and big 4. I did wonder what I could produce for her to pull in GNR days, but Rob’s a 3D printing whizz and offered to knock off some GNR six wheelers. So I went with GNR livery on that basis - no pressure Rob! And what a pretty livery!

 

She will get Dingham couplings when I run off another batch and needs a rear vac hose because the white metal one has broken too many times - that will come when I can get to a show because I’m too mean to pay postage!

 

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy,

 

I have, somewhere, a photograph of a train which happens to have a QuadArt in the background with the number visible.    I haven't found it, but I stumbled over another example.  There's a fairly well known shot of C1 3290 bringing the Dynamometer Car and Coronation stock back through New Barnet on July 3rd 1938 after Mallard had been failed at Peterborough.   To the right N2 2680 is at the head of a QuadArt, Set 86.   There's some foreshortening, but the panel with the numbers is clearly 'full'.   I accept what Mike says about the beading, but I don't think what you've ended up with is too far from reality.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Andy,

 

I have, somewhere, a photograph of a train which happens to have a QuadArt in the background with the number visible.    I haven't found it, but I stumbled over another example.  There's a fairly well known shot of C1 3290 bringing the Dynamometer Car and Coronation stock back through New Barnet on July 3rd 1938 after Mallard had been failed at Peterborough.   To the right N2 2680 is at the head of a QuadArt, Set 86.   There's some foreshortening, but the panel with the numbers is clearly 'full'.   I accept what Mike says about the beading, but I don't think what you've ended up with is too far from reality.

 

 

 

 

Thanks Jonathan, that’s reassuring. I’m not familiar with that photo. Can you say which book it’s in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

 

You may ask why she’s in GNR livery. Well, I was going to paint her black but club member Rob ( @woko ) told me that she had to be green as black was boring. We’re taking a wide time period on our club 0 gauge layout to include late pre grouping and big 4. I did wonder what I could produce for her to pull in GNR days, but Rob’s a 3D printing whizz and offered to knock off some GNR six wheelers. So I went with GNR livery on that basis - no pressure Rob! And what a pretty livery!

 

Absolutely stunning work Andy cracking job sir! I told you the GNR livery was definitely the way forward, and now you have mastered it, perhaps a C1 next in GNR or and N2? :)

 

Not sure about being a 3d printing whizz, but I will certainly do my best to create  those lovely Howlden 6 wheeler Carriages to go behind this beautiful C12 of yours! Can't wait to see, hopefully you will bring it along tomorrow night :)

 

Rob 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...