RTI up for sale.

PhilJ W

Sadly the owner of Road Transport Images, Frank Waller, has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. He is therefore seeking a buyer for the entire business etc.

That is a !!!

Big C strikes again!!!?

If you know the man, please give him my best!

He dosen't know me, but I have bought and built his stuff. Enjoyed doing it!!

Chris.

• Like 1

That is a ######!!!

Big C strikes again!!!?

Yes, a terminal diagnosis is devastating. But it might not be cancer and these days it can be treated.

I was diagnosed earlier this year with a particularly rare and aggressive cancer but after four operations over this summer have effectively been given the all clear - although, of course, it could return and I need constant monitoring and regular check-ups now.

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

That is a ######!!!

Big C strikes again!!!?

He dosen't know me, but I have bought and built his stuff. Enjoyed doing it!!

Chris.

Yes, a terminal diagnosis is devastating. But it might not be cancer and these days it can be treated.

I was diagnosed earlier this year with a particularly rare and aggressive cancer but after four operations over this summer have effectively been given the all clear - although, of course, it could return and I need constant monitoring and regular check-ups now.

G

All the information I have is that it is a terminal illness. It could be any one of a number of illnesses, I will keep you updated if and when I receive any further information.

I understand that Frank's illness is heart-related, not cancer, but don't quote me on that. Whatever, I hope that his remaining time is spent as painlessly and peacefully as possible, and hope that the range that he created will continue and grow under new leadership, whoever that may be. Best wishes to Frank, his family and his close friends at this difficult time.

• Like 1

Pedantically, and light heartedly, we've all got a terminal illness, it's just that most of us don't know what it is yet.

Mike.

- It's called life, and nobody can survive it forever. It's what you do with it whilst you've got it, and Frank has managed more than many others of us.

• 1 month later...

Just received a message from Franks Family to say that 

Frank lost his battle with terminal cancer and passed away on 18th September 2018. 

it also went on to say that any RTI orders and enquiries will not be processed until the future direction of the business has been determined

Just received a message from Franks Family to say that 

Frank lost his battle with terminal cancer and passed away on 18th September 2018. [/size]

it also went on to say that any RTI orders and enquiries will not be processed until the future direction of the business has been determined

Sad to hear. Without his foresight would be a lot of very similar lorries on layouts. Pleased that Troutons will be able to display some of his products. I hope that someone does take on the range.

This is so sad. I have just gone to his shop to order more cabs to stock up for the future only to find this bad news. It would be an interesting business to take on (and more fun than the 12" to the ft truck business I currently run)  but It would be out of my reach financially however I do hope it does carry on as it is an excellent range of models not available elsewhere.

Graham

• Like 1

Yes, very sad news. I received a letter from one of his family this morning, confirming it was cancer.

Frank was an excellent bloke and I reckon he'll be sorely missed at the shows. His models were superb and second to none. I think about 90% of road vehicles on Harford Street are from RTI. They look good and are a joy to put together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, very sad news. I received a letter from one of his family this morning, confirming it was cancer.

Frank was an excellent bloke and I reckon he'll be sorely missed at the shows. His models were superb and second to none. I think about 90% of road vehicles on Harford Street are from RTI. They look good and are a joy to put together.

As with some other modellers who have passed away, it's not so much the passing of a decent and helpful bloke, it's the knowledge which we no longer have access to, if only humans had a hard drive to save memories from!

Mike.

As with some other modellers who have passed away, it's not so much the passing of a decent and helpful bloke, it's the knowledge which we no longer have access to, if only humans had a hard drive to save memories from!

Mike.

We've all had that facility for centuries in the form of pen and paper, but sadly most of us never bother to record our knowledge. Sadder still is that when someones' old notebooks are discovered, they usually end up in the bin, discarded as "clutter" by uninterested individuals.

We've all had that facility for centuries in the form of pen and paper, but sadly most of us never bother to record our knowledge. Sadder still is that when someones' old notebooks are discovered, they usually end up in the bin, discarded as "clutter" by uninterested individuals.

Good point but with the advent of all the various social media this will change now as records potentially being being in the public domain forever 

• RMweb Premium

Good point but with the advent of all the various social media this will change now as records potentially being being in the public domain forever 

I agree, but will it be possible to access it as well as separate it from the other 99% drivel?

It’s still a better way of exchanging information. Although people have a vast knowledge in their heads unless you know that person or have a way of contacting them then you don’t have access in the first place at least with the net and google you can search a vast database without actually knowing the person. (other search engines are available)

Does anyone here know how Frank did the casting of his cabs? were they contracted out to a casting company or did he do them himself, and if so using what method. I might have a go at making some 80s trucks but don't know how I'd go about casting or moulding a one piece hollow cab having only ever done flat casting. I don't know if a laser cutter would etch styrene without melting it or possibly brass which would allow for decent grill patterns to be made. 

Any advice would be gratefully received

Graham

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone here know how Frank did the casting of his cabs? were they contracted out to a casting company or did he do them himself, and if so using what method. I might have a go at making some 80s trucks but don't know how I'd go about casting or moulding a one piece hollow cab having only ever done flat casting. I don't know if a laser cutter would etch styrene without melting it or possibly brass which would allow for decent grill patterns to be made. 

Any advice would be gratefully received

Graham

Its quite probable that the business will be up for sale and such information should be available to prospective buyers. I do believe that he did all his own casting. The best method of producing grills IMHO is photo-etching.

• Like 1

Its quite probable that the business will be up for sale and such information should be available to prospective buyers. I do believe that he did all his own casting. The best method of producing grills IMHO is photo-etching.

Hi Phil,

I think it would be out of my price range to be honest. The truck I actually want now wasn't in the RTI range, I did speak to Frank about it and he did say he would look at it but I didn't know then about his illness, had I known I wouldn't have bothered him. I also want to make a couple of trailers which would be nice to release as a cast model. Ive never tried etching but was once given a large UV light from a commercial etching company when they had a clear out so maybe its time to give it a try. The truck I'm hoping to make is a Fiat from the 70s - 80s (lima made an Ho one)  and if successful would be nice to release as a casting.

Graham

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

I think it would be out of my price range to be honest. The truck I actually want now wasn't in the RTI range, I did speak to Frank about it and he did say he would look at it but I didn't know then about his illness, had I known I wouldn't have bothered him. I also want to make a couple of trailers which would be nice to release as a cast model. Ive never tried etching but was once given a large UV light from a commercial etching company when they had a clear out so maybe its time to give it a try. The truck I'm hoping to make is a Fiat from the 70s - 80s (lima made an Ho one)  and if successful would be nice to release as a casting.

Graham

Frank did most, and probably all of his own casting, I'd guess they were two/ three piece moulds, the inner interlocking with the outer. The idea is to pour a quantity of resin into the outer mould, insert the inner mould and clamp the two together. The resin is displaced upwards to fill the void between the two moulds.

I've seen these in use with the two moulds contained in two halves of a Lego brick "box" to surround the actual moulds, ensuring perfect alignment when the two halves were brought together. A small I think there may be something on YouTube showing this method.

• 2 months later...

Hi Phil,

Graham

Hi Graham,

This is Frank's daughter. I've been made aware of your post - if you have any questions regarding RTI feel free to send me a private message on here. 

Thank you

Diane

• Like 3