• RMweb Gold

For interest, this is my High Level chassis.  As can be seen it has a bespoke gearbox unique to this kit.  Mine is built compensated to P4 and which allows room between the frames for the dummy valve gear which could be a problem in OO

attachicon.gifIMG_1617.jpg

I have used quite a large motor (1428 I think) which is positioned well centrally due to the clever design of the gearbox but does project into the cab a bit.  I extended the back head to compensate for this.  Since this photo, pickups have been added and it runs fine.

Here is the chassis under my closed cab 517 which is why it has 517 axle boxes instead of the High Level lost wax ones that came with the kit

attachicon.gifIMG_1425.jpg

That's a very fine job there.

I'd have to check, but from the photos, I'd say that if you were to try to transpose a Hattons/DJM body onto your chassis 'as built', then the gearbox might well protrude into the boiler space, possibly requiring the removal of some plastic, but the larger motor would certainly not fit inside the Hattons/DJM body space, certainly not without removing both the bulkhead in front of the backhead moulding and probably the backhead moulding as well.

That said, most of the smaller Mashima motors are perfectly sufficient to power a loco of this size (although I do generally support the notion of fitting the biggest motor you can, inside a given body space).

Good morning all! Well I did some more running with 5810 last night and all seems good, so hopefully on Sunday (Saturday I’m at Wakefield Show) I’ll get her weathered and looking the part!

I’ve had some GWR loco and BR Tail lamps arrive from Modelu, which have had a waft of white primer, ready for brush painting in white, then some weathering.

• Like 2

Home after another concert. Tonight’s was in Harrogate, and we shared the stage with none other than legendary actor Edward Fox!

Must get to bed shortly. Since I’ve been back, I’ve just given the Modelu lamps their second coat of white, ready for some weathering over the weekend before I add the lenses.

post-24300-0-26993000-1542326609_thumb.jpeg

I’m at Wakefield Show on Saturday (as a punter) which I’m looking forward to!

post-24300-0-26993000-1542326609_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 9

Lamps now weathered with lenses fitted (GWR loco lamps and BR standard tail lamps). I’ve some BR WR style tail lamps I’ve just give the first coat of primer.

post-24300-0-98916300-1542410181_thumb.jpeg

Tonight I’m putting the last of the detailing bits on 5810, most noticeably some plasticard representation of the ash pan.

post-24300-0-76677900-1542410217_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Tom, sorry if this has already been covered, but did you put any additional weight in your 58XX, particularly in the smokebox/boiler area, please?

Hi Tim, sorry I've just got back from Wakefield Show. 

No I've not added any weight, it doesn't have any trouble with the single kit built coach, so for the moment I do not feel the need to add any. Interestingly someone was selling a Hattons 14XX at the Show for £99.....it may surprise you that I didn't buy it! ;)

Didn't go mad spending at Wakefield Show, picked up a Gaugemaster 6 pin decoder which I may try out in my 14/58s. A Bachmann Bogie Bolster (I've one which I need to finish on the workbench) but I could certainly use another. 0.4/45/50 duly collected from squires (I can't be the only one that is always breaking them!)

Some impressive layouts, good to see Copanhagen Fields finally in the flesh, along with Mostyn. Most enjoyable though, is catching up with friends, and it was nice the interest shown today in my layout extension plans.

Intending to fit the plasticard ashpan pieces this evening along with any further bits onto 5810, ready for weathering tomorrow.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

So last night I starterd weathering 5810. So far I’ve done the initial work with the airbrush, which is essentially a case of getting paint on to the model and then removing it again.

I’ve also been adding some gunmetal to the wheels to just highlight metallic features. So far I’ve done just over an hour on the model ready for dry brushing and powder work today.

Hit a slight kink in the road. It was after finishing the work last night that I glanced at one of the photos of 5810 and noticed.....she was fitted with a short whistle shield....the Hattons model has a large whistle shield!

B*****S!!!

Anyhow after the initiall annoyance that I hadn’t checked more carefully, I have ordered a replacement from Modelu, so I can easily carry on weathering today.

Once the replacement arrives I’ll get it painted and weathered off the model and then just glue it in place.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

Tom, that really is splendid.

Thanks Tim!

I realised yesterday, it's the first loco I've weathered in nearly two years, and there was a touch of apprehension last night. It was also a test bed for me deciding to go professional with my weathering in the new year, so all in all it was rather rewarding!

With only two 58s on the branch, I've got a soft spot for her!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Didn't realise you were planning on this.

Very best of luck with it, you should do well!

I really hope so!

I have time off in the week due to my peripatetic music pupil numbers. Plus working from home, I haven’t the worry of heading out in the 40 mile commute in horrendous weather!

It makes sense to go for this. Already have some commissions booked for the new year which is great. I’ll post more in small suppliers in the new year.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks pretty much the part, 97; my basic spec for weathered vehicles is that they should look as if you'd get your hands dirty if you picked them up.  The estate agent woman who supervised the sale of the house my flat is in, and visited to ensure that all was clean and in order several times, was horrified that I'd actually gone to an effort to make my trains look dirty; some people just don't get it, do they?   I had to make her reluctantly handle a locomotive to show that she (and what she called a bedroom but I call a railway room that I sleep and keep my clothes in) wasn't actually going to be contaminated by it, but she remains of the opinion that there is something seriously wrong with me.  What sort of rational, sane, person deliberately makes something clean look as if it's dirty!

But when did rationality or sanity ever have any place in the pursuit of a hobby?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

That looks pretty much the part, 97; my basic spec for weathered vehicles is that they should look as if you'd get your hands dirty if you picked them up.  The estate agent woman who supervised the sale of the house my flat is in, and visited to ensure that all was clean and in order several times, was horrified that I'd actually gone to an effort to make my trains look dirty; some people just don't get it, do they?   I had to make her reluctantly handle a locomotive to show that she (and what she called a bedroom but I call a railway room that I sleep and keep my clothes in) wasn't actually going to be contaminated by it, but she remains of the opinion that there is something seriously wrong with me.  What sort of rational, sane, person deliberately makes something clean look as if it's dirty!

But when did rationality or sanity ever have any place in the pursuit of a hobby?

Some people! I know of one gentleman who doesn't model (commissions) and refuses for anything to be weathered, he wants it pristine.... I can't get my head around that!

I can confirm, that special thanks are in order to Alan at Modelu, as he's let me know the Whistle Shield will be in the post tomorrow! It is also hoped that I will be having another operating session a week on Sunday!  :locomotive:

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

Some people! I know of one gentleman who doesn't model (commissions) and refuses for anything to be weathered, he wants it pristine.... I can't get my head around that!

It's a funny old world Tom. My preference is to have my models look as close to the real thing as possible - in the 1960s period.  I know that railways were seriously in decline then. A steam loco may well have left the paintshops at Crewe or Swindon on Tuesday, but by Friday the frames and wheels would have a coat of grime albeit thin.    

• RMweb Gold

It's a funny old world Tom. My preference is to have my models look as close to the real thing as possible - in the 1960s period.  I know that railways were seriously in decline then. A steam loco may well have left the paintshops at Crewe or Swindon on Tuesday, but by Friday the frames and wheels would have a coat of grime albeit thin.    

If it was a wet day and any industrial or urban area was traversed in the journey, the loco would have got a good coating of muck on the delivery run from the works to the shed, and the same applied to diesel and electric traction in those days!  The atmosphere is very much cleaner now, and the rest of the environment has followed it even in very heavily industrialised locations.  On Cwmdimbath, a South Wales mining valley in the 1950s, I weather with the usual track/brake block colour and then put a layer of matt black on top of that as a nod to the coal dust that pervaded the scene.

Coal dust was a problem on hot, dry, days as well, clouds of it blowing off running trains and spreading itself all over the area.

On Cwmdimbath, a South Wales mining valley in the 1950s, I weather with the usual track/brake block colour and then put a layer of matt black on top of that as a nod to the coal dust that pervaded the scene.

Coal dust was a problem on hot, dry, days as well, clouds of it blowing off running trains and spreading itself all over the area.

This just reinforces my belief of how important in modelling and in particular ‘weathering’, observation is.

Speaking of which I’m currently looking at a lovely colour photo of sister loco 5811 at Tan-Y-Manod. She is cleaner than 5810 (but still grubby on top of the boiler). I’m going to crack on converting the second Hattons 14XX into 5811 in the coming weeks I think! :)

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Hot off the press!!!

Derek Lowe (co author with Martin Williams of the new 'Bala Branch' book) has just emailed me to say that the book has arrived (days early) at the Lightmoor Publishing warehouse. This means it will most certainly be available for purchase at Warley this weekend.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/the-bala-branch/L8474

post-24300-0-04652400-1542827641.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8