Ankh Morpork Light Railway

bridgiesimon

• RMweb Gold

I love the concept of this, my one regret in the series is that the Undertaking that the Dwarfs seemed to be in the process of building under AM never saw the light of day. I love Raising Steam (See my signature on every post here since it was released) but I really wanted to see AM get its own underground railway, so much seemed to be pointing to it, with the Devices as the power source etc.

Have you thought of including a clacks tower against the backscene?

Andi

• Like 4

I love the concept of this, my one regret in the series is that the Undertaking that the Dwarfs seemed to be in the process of building under AM never saw the light of day. I love Raising Steam (See my signature on every post here since it was released) but I really wanted to see AM get its own underground railway, so much seemed to be pointing to it, with the Devices as the power source etc.

Andi

Defo will include a clacks tower somewhere, got to be included hasn't it!

Best wishes

SImon

Andi

Agreed regarding the Undertaking. One of my favourite moments in Thud! is the similarity between the mine sign for ‘mine’ and the symbol for a certain subterranean public transport system in the UK...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Also enjoying the this, remembering the RMweb thread on warning signs for model railways a couple of years back, I posted then:

Hi,

Just for fun I purchased a couple of Discworld stickers a few years back, I hasten to add that even if the layout gets completed I don't have any notion that it'll get to any shows :jester:

https://s-media-cach...e487a039aa3.jpg

Text:  Protected by the Assassins Guild A-M / Automatic Contract / Unauthorised meddling with this property will result in an automatic contract on your life

https://s-media-cach...beb3675253a.jpg

Text:  Issued by the Ankh-Morpork Guild of Thieves / This item has been deemed Theft Exempt / Protected by Guild Enforcers

Regards, Gerry.

Can't imagine a more appropriate application once you're ready for public exhibition! (I'm fairly sure TP would have had 'views' on self-referential quotes).

I've also worked up for my own layout a modern day van logo for a combined assault on the public of culinary repasts from the team of C.M.O.T. Dibbler and Mrs Miggins (of Blackadder infamy).

Looking forward to more.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1

Have you seen Hugh Norwood's Angst-Lesspork?

http://file770.com/take-a-ride-on-a-discworld-inspired-model-railroad/

I was going to say something similar. Nice to see you using 28mm figures. My only concern is that it might too too similar to what Hugh has done. I would have looked at somewhere outside of the city. Plenty of different locations in the books.

Prompted by this thread I suggested and received Raising Steam for my birthday, so far I’ve got to about chapter 3. As mentioned it’s a bit sad to see the effect that TP’s condition had on his writing, although as it gets into the flow it improves. I read many of the books 25 years ago when I discovered them, but since then I’ve missed any new ones so I’ve got something to look forward to!

• RMweb Premium

Prompted by this thread I suggested and received Raising Steam for my birthday, so far I’ve got to about chapter 3. As mentioned it’s a bit sad to see the effect that TP’s condition had on his writing, although as it gets into the flow it improves. I read many of the books 25 years ago when I discovered them, but since then I’ve missed any new ones so I’ve got something to look forward to!

Raising Steam wasn't TP's best book. It's far more fragmented due to the timescales than his other work. The Shepherd's Crown (his last book, posthumously released) shows he could still hold the story together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Raising Steam wasn't TP's best book. It's far more fragmented due to the timescales than his other work. The Shepherd's Crown (his last book, posthumously released) shows he could still hold the story together.

The first half is rather good for us railway nuts, though. The magic of the steam loco arriving and the first steps before time speeds up so much.

(sorry Simon for the off-topic-ness!)

Never been tempted to read any of Mr Pratchett's books, but the buildings etc look excellent. Will keep an eye out for updates

Oh dear, you should read at least one! My first was Witches Abroad second hand bedragled paperback never looked back I have them all. Trying to replace the aging paperbacks with hardbacks but the cost!!!

All the best Steve

• Agree 1

I've just started on my own Ankh-Morpork based micro over here, albeit in 00. I'll be watching this topic with interest.

There's a mention of the "Undertaking" with underground streets being constructed as part of that in one of the books (Making Money I think?). Perhaps he just thought it was more interesting to go for a more real world transport revolution. At the risk of being morbid, my personal theory is that he was aware that he probably wasn't going to be able to complete many more novels, so he figured he might as well wrap things up by bringing a proper industrial revolution to the Disc. Both this and The Shepherd's Crown suggest that the world is changing forever.

I was looking at ideas based on Raising Steam using some of the lovely Roco and Trix old German locos but mauling expensive models put me off, but I do have a bargains search on evilbay ;)

I've been going for fairly budget locomotives - a slightly-adapted Bachmann John Bull and a Roco Bourbonnais are my fleet at the moment, with Iron Girder to be represented by an adapted Lord of the Isles. As the works are at Swine Town, I figured a Great Western look was appropriate.

• 1 month later...

Serious lack of updated recently, my wife has not been well for a while and has meant I have, correctly, spent time helping to get her on the road to recovery rather than model making. Now that she is defo on the right road, I am hoping that the new year will see a few developments, the plan is to actually start board construction as well as more figure figuring/building building and stock er stocking? 

Best wishes and happy Hogswatch!!

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have acquired a new addition for the layout arrived today - 

a Plywood kit for a small boat, not large scale so the top section will not be useable but my thinking is that the hull will be perfect. It is around 9 inches long and 3 inches wide. 

This is a screen shot of the model made up, acquired through an app called 'Wish' for £7 including postage and packing, bargain!!

post-3347-0-77796200-1547235938_thumb.jpg

Now that it has arrived, I am pleased with the detail in the plywood pieces - 

post-3347-0-27915500-1547235958_thumb.jpg

Am now looking forward to a time when I will make it up, not sure I will start it yet as it would only go straight into a box until the layout is started.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

a Plywood kit for a small boat, not large scale so the top section will not be useable but my thinking is that the hull will be perfect. It is around 9 inches long and 3 inches wide. 

Tell us more about your boat kit!

Edited by Podhunter