Ankh Morpork Light Railway

bridgiesimon

A quick addition as I found a piccie on here I forgot I took - 

a few months ago, one of the model railway magazines, Railway Modeller I think as Peco own Wills these days, gave away a pack of Wills SS37 market stalls - 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/120255/Wills_Kits_SS37_Market_Stalls_4_wheel_barrows_with_loads/StockDetail.aspx

(No personal link to Hattons, just for representation, other shops are available etc etc ...)

I had them sat in a spares box for ages then I got looking at them for possible use on Ankh Morpork, I realised that they could be a good basis with a little work - replace everythign below the table top!

Anyway, this is what I came up with and a pretty pleased!

post-3347-0-09172800-1536481267_thumb.jpg

A second one is on the go which will be loaded with a selection of loaves of bread (3d printed ones)

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Surely the market stall needs signwriting as 'cut me own throat dibbler' 

Looking forward to seeing this one progress  :good:

Or even, CMOT Dibbler. Mustn't forget that towards the end of the Discworld Series trains did actually make an appearance, so a cameo of Moist Von Lipwig might be appropriate?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I have already painted CMOT Dibbler complete with a tray of 'sausage in'a bun' so he will be present along with several recogniseable characters.

Simon

• Like 7

Thank you all for your interest and comments, not sure about including Harry King as he is heavily involved with the other railway, name escapes me at the moment, will look it up and add later.

The plan does include warehouses at the far end, possibly the Pork Futures Warehouse?

Some ideas so far - 

Special coach for Lord Vetinary, black obviously complete with his coat of arms.

Golem or Troll operated crane on the dock side

Got to include 'Music with Rocks in' I am a rocker at heart!

Inclusion of the 'Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device' in the dock area as well.

Possibly not 'The Mended Drum' but I will be including at least 1 inn/pub/bar thingy type place for quaffing and fighting!

I have the similar aim as with Hobbiton End - to have fun but not far enough to become a gimmick, push the boundaries of model making and keep to a decent standard and possibly most importantly, to ensure that anyone with an interest in Discworld will recognise the scene and enjoy it as much as I will be enjoying building and operating it.

Before anyone asks, YES this layout will be going out on the exhibition circuit should I be lucky enough to be invited out!!

Anyway, modelling/laptop time ending and reality takes over - shopping! AAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon
  • Like 8

Or even, CMOT Dibbler. Mustn't forget that towards the end of the Discworld Series trains did actually make an appearance, so a cameo of Moist Von Lipwig might be appropriate?

The gold suit is of course all anyone remembers about him, so should be easy to model...

This sounds like an excellent idea for a layout and the buildings look great. I shall look forward to seeing it.  Will we be seeing a clacks tower? - they must have arrived before the railway by at least ten, probably more like twenty, years and the light railway would surely be a bit later than the main line. The Watch had their own local network.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

Surely in honour of Leonard of Quirm it should be called the Ankh Morpork Light Large Kettle On Wheels That Travels On Long Bits Of Metal Device.

Will the trains have a "Luggage" van? And of course Death has to be in there somewhere!

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

...Got to include 'Music with Rocks in' I am a rocker at heart!...

Simon

A typo, I'm sure, but it's Vetinari, with an i at the end, unless he's taken up treating animals... ;)

Oh, and that music with rocks in sounds a bit Elvish to me... ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

This is a brilliant idea, the options for modelling being wide and varied.

Any thoughts on buildings that look like multistorey salt shakers; an exploding Alchemists Guild, etc?  Hope these new-fangled big kettle thingeys don't mean that Binky will be made redundant.

Looking forward to watching this one.

Regards,

Alex.

A typo, I'm sure, but it's Vetinari, with an i at the end, unless he's taken up treating animals... ;)

Oh, and that music with rocks in sounds a bit Elvish to me... ;)

yep a typo indeed!

Am reading Soul Music at the moment, for the umpteenth time - love it!!

'Luggage' van, will need lots of leg room, er sorry foot space!

The support from all you guys is fantastic, really appreciated!!

best wishes

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You did spot the colourful wares that actually look like food? There's no way that's Dibblers stall!! :stinker:

Lovely models, Iron Girder on the list? They do a nice poster at the Discworld Emporium

• RMweb Premium

This sounds like a brilliant concept, you can really go to town on the details. Is it possible to get appropriate characters in / near 0 scale? You really need Nobby and Colon "guarding" the station....

Hi,

Some fantasy wargames figures are a notional 1:56 (28mm), though they stand a bit too big for that (32+mm), so there may be some useful bits'n'pieces there (especially if you want a slightly short looking Rincewind).

Regards,

Alex.