Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Advance Notice - The Wishlist Poll 2018

BMacdermott

• RMweb Premium

Chris M was correct, you highlight this as a general whishlist poll and then make it OO only as you are not sufficiently interseted in anything else. If you had titled this as only a OO wish list then no problem; but you did not.

Why not do one yourself if you're that enthused.

Where can we see/ find the list as it stood last time the poll was run? 

It's heartening to know that all these subjects are being added, but as several before me have tripped over, there's little point in my suggesting a Class 66, Britannia, Met-Cam DMU or Pannier Tank if they are already on the list from before.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Chard

One way is to go to the 'search' box at the top right of the page, then enter Results - The Wishlist Poll 2016 in the Forum Index. You will find the results presented in three different ways as PDFs. Any probs, give me a shout.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Hello Chard

One way is to go to the 'search' box at the top right of the page, then enter Results - The Wishlist Poll 2016 in the Forum Index. You will find the results presented in three different ways as PDFs. Any probs, give me a shout.

Thanks Brian, I'll do that!!!

EDIT to add:

It's actually in the box that follows the last post in the topic, if we scroll down, it's marked thus: 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wishlist Poll Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

Hello Chard

Leave that with me. It's not my area of knowledge but I know The Team has discussed it but discounted it for (seemingly) good reasons.

By chance, the two Team members I need to mainly speak to about this are on trains on their way to see me. I will speak with them, then email the rest of The Team and will get back soon. Allow three or four days, but I will probably get back sooner.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hello MJI

Those are already in The Poll and have been for some while. 

Sorry didn't notice

But I find 8 hours per 2B is a lot of time on one vehicle, some decentish ones would be nice

• RMweb Gold

Sorry didn't notice

But I find 8 hours per 2B is a lot of time on one vehicle, some decentish ones would be nice

Hello MJI

The stock has been High Polling since 2012 and has been either in The Top 50 or only just outside it since then.

• RMweb Gold

On a slight aside, but I guess that as the subject base gets smaller, so will the 'niche' element grow pro-rata. Driving to your natural conclusion, the poll will be:-

Steam,

Diesel,

Electric

Other.

Green,

Black,

Sky-blue pink,

Tea,

Coffee,

Milk,

Sugar.

I'm highly entertained by the polls, and I missed seeing the last one. Well done Poll Team & associates; a thankless task.

Happy modelling,

Colonel Knuttt (retired, walking the dog).

• Like 2

There are I feel systematic sophistication upgrades possible for the survey, that the wishlist team may care to look at for medium term inclusion.

Most of the significant traction classes designed since 1923 now have models, and I would expect remaining gaps in this coverage will continue to be filled. But what of the earlier introductions? Should there be an appraisal of those that are now significantly poorer than current standard, and ready for upgrade? This is effectively happening piecemeal, but could be systematised.

I also support the 'joined up thinking' notion. Let's say that the N2 0-6-2T is in the 'time for an upgrade' slot. It's natural partner the GN Quad-Art sets should be a linked item, with a further linkage to all the other traction known to have worked these vehicles. (It's quite a list!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello 34

The purpose of The Poll is clearly stated, with a cut-off date of 2000 so that we don't make 'subjective quality and fidelity judgments'.

If I understand where you are coming from here, it would mean running a Poll - or an add-on to what currently runs -  that listed all items made since 2000 and an 'upgrade' vote made against those items. 

Bachmann, for example, has introduced around 70 locos, DMUs and EMUs since 2000, and much in the way of coaches and wagons etc. And then there are liveries, body variations, sound fitting complications and so on to consider. Things could get massively data-centric very quickly.

It could be done in bite-size chunks - say, Bachmann steam locos that need upgrading, then Hornby steam locos, then Heljan steam locos etc - but, I'm sorry to say, it won't be The Poll Team running them and that is due to the time constraints noted in Post #1.

Or were you meaning that we select those that we feel need 'upgrading' no matter when they were made? Even so, it would still breach our cut-off date and 'no quality judgment' criteria.

There might well be a case for stating a little more clearly what stock ran with what locos and I will look into that as part of an Agenda proposal for 2019. We already make reference where reasonable within The Guide, but it might be possible to have some sort of 'look-up table'.

...The purpose of The Poll is clearly stated, with a cut-off date of 2000 so that we don't make 'subjective quality and fidelity judgments'.

If I understand where you are coming from here, it would mean running a Poll - or an add-on to what currently runs -  that listed all items made since 2000 and an 'upgrade' vote made against those item ...

Brian,

With all respect to the Poll team - and you know I feel you have done a sound job over the years - this upgrade process is now observably underway on post 2000 product introductions. Key exhibits: Bachmann's 24 and 66 by SLW and Hattons respectively,  Heljan's 47 and 52 by Bachmann and Dapol; and I don't think it will stop there.

So it would be reasonable to consider advancing the date for inclusion in the survey from 2000 at some point.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 34

Point taken. We always review the cut-off date as part of each year's Agenda and it has stood the test of time - up until now. It was always on the 'game plan' to definitely move forwards from 2020 anyway.

The subject will be fully explored. 

Thanks again.

Brian

It's always difficult to select the models to include I can see that, was the 24 from Bachmann so bad it needed updating or did SLW come in with something spectacular?

The Hornby A4 is well regarded, did it need a Dapol Black Label version or was that simply a chance to try something different.

All those years of wanting a new Dean Goods, did people get what they wanted, for some perhaps not, does that then mean it has to go back into the survey because I think you can bet there won't be another one along in the next decade.

If I was modelling BR I'd be quite happy picking up people's offloaded Bachmann 24s over the price of an SLW - it's personal preference and that's where having a cut off works on this survey, it's a nice line in the sand we can all understand.

• RMweb Gold

Woods, you seem to be working to the principle that the RTR trade are supplying demand from us.  They are, but this is very much a secondary concern, and if their marketing people tell them they can make a profit doing something, they will usually go for it rather than give us something we've said we want, because their main concern is to make profits.  So, Dapol presumably saw an opportunity to make profit out of an A4 despite Hornby's making them and the secondhand market is flooded with them.  It wasn't what the market needed, or the chance to do something different, it was a chance to make money.

There were only 34 of the things anyway; I have no idea why they are so popular (tongue in cheek a bit).  They are more or less useless on most layouts, which do not have the room for their trains or curves big enough for their speed.  But we keep buying them (not me personally, but you know what I mean) and as long as we spend our money, they'll keep making 'em.

It's always difficult to select the models to include I can see that, was the 24 from Bachmann so bad it needed updating or did SLW come in with something spectacular?

Well, the fact that even Bachmann are replacing the 24 with new tooling might give you your answer.

And there are 2 (maybe 3) new 25's coming.

So it would seem both the market and the manufacturers agree that some of the now older tooling isn't to what many current people in this hobby expect.

Woods, you seem to be working to the principle that the RTR trade are supplying demand from us. They are, but this is very much a secondary concern, and if their marketing people tell them they can make a profit doing something, they will usually go for it rather than give us something we've said we want, because their main concern is to make profits. So, Dapol presumably saw an opportunity to make profit out of an A4 despite Hornby's making them and the secondhand market is flooded with them. It wasn't what the market needed, or the chance to do something different, it was a chance to make money.

There were only 34 of the things anyway; I have no idea why they are so popular (tongue in cheek a bit). They are more or less useless on most layouts, which do not have the room for their trains or curves big enough for their speed. But we keep buying them (not me personally, but you know what I mean) and as long as we spend our money, they'll keep making 'em.

I was badly trying to describe how personal preference might have some people call for replacements for modern models because the shape wasn't quite right and how difficult that might be to manage in the poll. I clearly spectacularly failed in that attempt. Ha ha

Edit to add a ha ha as I can't use emojis from the iPad

Edited by woodenhead

The Hornby A4 is well regarded, did it need a Dapol Black Label version or was that simply a chance to try something different.

All those years of wanting a new Dean Goods, did people get what they wanted, for some perhaps not, does that then mean it has to go back into the survey because I think you can bet there won't be another one along in the next decade.

If I was modelling BR I'd be quite happy picking up people's offloaded Bachmann 24s over the price of an SLW - it's personal preference and that's where having a cut off works on this survey, it's a nice line in the sand we can all understand.

Pardon my ignorance but who are SLW?