The Attack of the 60ft Spider from Mars!

Hroth

Prelude

Earlier last week, I had been rummaging in the attic and discovered a box of 2mm scale trains, ranging from Lone Star OOO push-alongs, Trebel-O-Lectric and mid 70s conventional N gauge from a long dismantled layout.

I've submitted Cakebox Challenge entries in 3mm, 4mm and 7mm scales but nothing in 2mm, which is a pretty glaring omission, I think you'll agree! Foe a moment I briefly considered using the OOO push-along material for a final entry, but clearly it was too late, seeing as the quickest of my previous entries took nearly 3 months to get from the original idea to submission.

So there it stood, until three things happened over the last weekend.

1. I watched the GMRC on Channel 5
  2. Stubbby47 presented his excellent quick-build cakebox challenge
  3. I had a lightbulb moment while shopping on Sunday

Here's the scenario:

A locomotive and its train are passing a signal box, approaching a roadbridge (deliberately made not wide enough for the statutory bus), when a Giant 60ft Spider from Mars plunges down the embankment to attack it, in the spirit of all those daft late 50s horror/alien invasion movies.....

The diorama will be constructed entirely from a single cereal box, some plaster bandages, paint, flock and the remaining lichen from other entries.

The railway is represented by:

• A signal box
  • 4 pieces of OOO push-along track
  • A Cattle Wagon
  • A Jinty locomotive

and to wrap things up

THE SPIDER!

Constraints will be as follows:

Buy nothing in, apart from the Spider
No scale-specific construction materials
Minimal "realism"
The end of the week!

Photographs of the construction will be posted as it progresses.  If I get it finished by Thursday, I'll submit it for inclusion in the Challenge.  Otherwise it'll stay here as a bonkers idea that didn't quite make it!

Let the struggle commence!!!

First, there has to be a PLAN

post-21933-0-85136400-1538988023.jpg

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

Seems like an interesting concept, certainly something a little different! In fact, this does remind me of a kit which I seem to recall used to be available from Airfix many years ago, ie a diorama based on, as far as I recall, a 50s (or was it 60s?) sci-fi/horror movie, only in this case the "monster" (again if memory serves me correctly) was in the form of a giant lobster-like "nasty", descending upon some low-relief buildings. A bit scary! But back to the present, I look forward to seeing how this venture turns out,  & good luck re beating the deadline.

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

Progress Report #1

Luckily, I was able to do some work on the basics this morning.

post-21933-0-79083300-1539003469.jpg

The raw material for the diorama!

post-21933-0-68425100-1539003477.jpg

3 pieces of card cut from the box and glued together for a bit of stiffness.  The outline of the layout drawn in on top.

post-21933-0-07908600-1539003488.jpg

First dry run of track, signal box and rolling stock.

post-21933-0-50412800-1539003500.jpg

The Road Bridge!

post-21933-0-16505400-1539003508.jpg

From the rear - more evidence of the cereal box...

post-21933-0-19521000-1539003516.jpg

Cutting side former.

post-21933-0-55639200-1539003524.jpg

Bridge and cutting side positioned to check appearance.

post-21933-0-74348400-1539003538.jpg

And the railway items added for further checking!

Onwards!!!

Progress Report #1.1

Plaster bandage applied to cutting side.  Looks good but boring, so no photo.

Guests arrived this afternoon, so tomorrow is probably out, unless I can sneak some modelling in..... :sungum:

Next spasm will involve paint, much paint on all surfaces and a bit of drying time.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 7

Progress Report #2

Being a quiet afternoon, I've had at it with paint, flock and lichen....

I used artists acrylics as they were to hand.

post-21933-0-98441100-1539098779.jpg

First I painted the baseboard

post-21933-0-67874500-1539098789.jpg

Then the bridge

post-21933-0-92950800-1539098798.jpg

Then the cutting side.

post-21933-0-75928600-1539098812.jpg

Putting them all together with the railway stuff...

post-21933-0-36308800-1539098825.jpg

A bit of flock for the grass and lichen for hedges and bushes and it looks ok!

Once everything has dried, I'll tone down the lichen and rub some weathering powder into suitable spots.

post-21933-0-46553400-1539098837.jpg

A different view, through the bridge.

• Like 4

Progress report #3

And FINALLY!!!!

INTRODUCING.........

post-21933-0-95964000-1539099073.jpg

The Attack Of The 60 Foot Spider From Mars!

post-21933-0-23504700-1539099088.jpg

In Glorious Technicolor and CinemaScope!!!

(Whaddya mean, you thought the spider would have 60 feet?  Its an arachnid, its only got 8 legs!  But it IS a scale 60ft across. I measured it...)

• Like 12

Anyway there you have it.

I'll add a couple of finishing touches tomorrow when its a bit drier, then photograph it properly, edit up the statutory 200ish description and send it off to PP before its too late!

Phew!

Looking good. Are you ballasting between the tracks or leaving it to be more in keeping with the Lone Star track? An interesting fact about the initial push along stuff was that it was based on Hornby and Triang 00 reproduced at half size, complete with 8.25mm gauge rather than 9mm.

The intention is to present it as it is, flat colours are more appropriate to the push-along models and the track is "pre-ballasted", sort of...  I just tried to make the grey look similar to the track colour.  I was going to use some Treble-O-Lectric stock as it looked more "interesting" then I found out/remembered the gauge difference...

The intention is to present it as it is, flat colours are more appropriate to the push-along models and the track is "pre-ballasted", sort of... I just tried to make the grey look similar to the track colour. I was going to use some Treble-O-Lectric stock as it looked more "interesting" then I found out/remembered the gauge difference...

You may be alright with that as it doesn't have to move so potentially it could balance on the rail. I think the stock you've got suits it though.

• Like 1

Funny you should bring up spiders.  There is a particularly large one here that is harmless but looks about the same size as the one in the picture.  However as I am into O, its not so fearsome but he visited the layout but didn't stick around long enough for his close-up!  The question is now though, where did he go? :scratchhead:

Brian.

Funny you should bring up spiders.  There is a particularly large one here that is harmless but looks about the same size as the one in the picture.  However as I am into O, its not so fearsome but he visited the layout but didn't stick around long enough for his close-up!  The question is now though, where did he go? :scratchhead:

Brian.

You know that spot at the back of the layout where the running is a bit hit-and miss?  :O

Funny you should bring up spiders. There is a particularly large one here that is harmless but looks about the same size as the one in the picture. However as I am into O, its not so fearsome but he visited the layout but didn't stick around long enough for his close-up! The question is now though, where did he go? :scratchhead:

Brian.

I remember watching a documentary once about spiders in Australia. They had all the poisonous ones, obviously, but I think it was mentioned that one of the most deadly is large but fairly harmless - crawling out from spaces in cars and causing people to lose concentration and crash.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Prelude

Earlier last week, I had been rummaging in the attic and discovered a box of 2mm scale trains, ranging from Lone Star OOO push-alongs, Trebel-O-Lectric and mid 70s conventional N gauge from a long dismantled layout.

I've submitted Cakebox Challenge entries in 3mm, 4mm and 7mm scales but nothing in 2mm, which is a pretty glaring omission, I think you'll agree! Foe a moment I briefly considered using the OOO push-along material for a final entry, but clearly it was too late, seeing as the quickest of my previous entries took nearly 3 months to get from the original idea to submission.

So there it stood, until three things happened over the last weekend.

1. I watched the GMRC on Channel 5
  2. Stubbby47 presented his excellent quick-build cakebox challenge
  3. I had a lightbulb moment while shopping on Sunday

Here's the scenario:

A locomotive and its train are passing a signal box, approaching a roadbridge (deliberately made not wide enough for the statutory bus), when a Giant 60ft Spider from Mars plunges down the embankment to attack it, in the spirit of all those daft late 50s horror/alien invasion movies.....

The diorama will be constructed entirely from a single cereal box, some plaster bandages, paint, flock and the remaining lichen from other entries.

The railway is represented by:

• A signal box
  • 4 pieces of OOO push-along track
  • A Cattle Wagon
  • A Jinty locomotive

and to wrap things up

THE SPIDER!

Constraints will be as follows:

Buy nothing in, apart from the Spider

No scale-specific construction materials

Minimal "realism"

The end of the week!

Photographs of the construction will be posted as it progresses.  If I get it finished by Thursday, I'll submit it for inclusion in the Challenge.  Otherwise it'll stay here as a bonkers idea that didn't quite make it!

Let the struggle commence!!!

First, there has to be a PLAN

attachicon.gifPlan 1.jpg

If only I had seen this thread earlier. There was a magnificent specimen on my kitchen floor this morning which had to be removed before wife saw it. You could have had it for free.

• Like 2

I remember watching a documentary once about spiders in Australia. They had all the poisonous ones, obviously, but I think it was mentioned that one of the most deadly is large but fairly harmless - crawling out from spaces in cars and causing people to lose concentration and crash.

That would be a Huntsman spider, some are as large as your hand, hide behind the sun visor in your car, scare the living daylights out of you but don't bite you, they hunt other spiders so we don't kill them. check the visor before driving off

All done and dusted, its been submitted...

Just for completeness, the finished scene:

post-21933-0-18904600-1539201584.jpg

Looking at the film poster, I wonder which famous actors, then taking their first steps in the film world, would be embarassed today by the performances of their callow youth?

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8