Model Rail 254? November 2018

grahame

I received an email last week as a subscriber saying the next/new issue of Model Rail was on it's way. It's now a week later and nothing has turned up. Has any other subscriber received their copy to confirm it has been produced and posted and that mine might have gone astray in the post, or it there some sort of known delay/problem. The last issue says it should be on sale today (presumably in shops) and I usually receive my subscription issue a good few days before that 'on sale' date.

G.

Edited by grahame

Thanks for that - I now know it is published and out as usual. I'll give it a couple more days and if nothing arrives I'll have to get on to them on the assumption it's gone astray in the post.

G

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today, same day as it appeared on the Newsagents shelves so no longer any advantage in subscribing in terms of lead times it would seem.

Oddly no thread prior to publication on here either.

Interesting use of the platform edging by Peter Marriott to form the bridge side but surely the bridge side and the wall to the viaduct is too low - the wall should be high enough to stop a track worker from falling over it and it looks, compared to the exposed part of the coach bogie, more like trip rail height.

You make an interesting point about the height of the wall and bridge.

You are probably correct. When I made this layout it was a bit of a compromise between the height of my polysterne blocks to support the track behind the retaining wall. I recall testing a figure outside the ballast and seem to remember the top of the wall/bridge came above his waist. That still might not have been enough!

Again, thanks for your observation.

Kind regards,

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived a few days ago but the competition still does not work. Hopefully it will start to work in the next few days.

Another interesting issue with plenty of interesting ideas.

Edited by Chris116

Another interesting issue with plenty of interesting ideas.

Yes, some wide ranging subjects and facets of the hobby not touched by other mags forming interesting articles and projects. And what I particularly like is that much is translated in to actual and potential modelling.

And my issue did eventually turn up at the weekend.

G.

The Western on the front cover was from a batch or 20 or so that I recently purchased from a gentleman who was a regular customer of mine.

Chris saw a pic of it on here and snapped it up!

post-40-0-50515000-1541162858.png

It's now famous!

For reference, it is a Heljan model, detailed with LED lights, valances, brake gear, crew and etched parts

The roof has been re-profiled and it has been renumbered and renamed.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Further to my previous comment I still cannot get the competition to not work. Has anyone managed to get Google to find the right address as all I get is competition 253 which is last months edition.

EDIT - Solved the problem by using my computer instead of my phone! Phone has had all cookies removed but still insists the latest competition is 253!

Edited by Chris116

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in two minds of the water splash ford. It looks very effective in photos, and would make a great cover shot much like last months, (any plans to reproduce the water trough cover, which according to a MRC album that used to be in our loco library used a chain smoking member of staff to emulate the spray effect) can't help but feel it would look odd as a static effect on a moving layout, much like the football match a few months back.

Just read Chris Leigh's article on the wet platform cover photo reconstruction.  It was a pleasure.  The backstory, of how our Young Hero was dragooned into inventive modelling for the magazine covers, was followed by a very good step-by-step guide to the creation of the model, with a brief diversion into GWR canopy design, and this made for a very interesting combination.

Often I find it difficult to be gripped by 'how-to' articles, important as they are, unless I am about to try similar.  They are more for reference.  This one, however, was a good read.

Just read Chris Leigh's article on the wet platform cover photo reconstruction.  It was a pleasure.  The backstory, of how our Young Hero was dragooned into inventive modelling for the magazine covers, was followed by a very good step-by-step guide to the creation of the model, with a brief diversion into GWR canopy design, and this made for a very interesting combination.

Often I find it difficult to be gripped by 'how-to' articles, important as they are, unless I am about to try similar.  They are more for reference.  This one, however, was a good read.

Thanks. I freely admit that it was one that I really enjoyed writing. There was a story behind many of those Gifford-inspired MRC covers. With the rose-tinted specs of hindsight, they were certainly interesting to do, sometimes 'character-building' for a teenager, and on one occasion at least, I left the office in tears having failed to produce exactly what was wanted and facing the prospect of doing it all again. (CJL)