Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition - Stevenage 12/13 Jan 2019

adrianmc

• RMweb Premium

My first visit to Stevenage and I did fully enjoy the time I spent at the exhibition and viewing some old favourites and some wanna see layouts in the form of Oldham Kings Street.

As an out of town traveller though, I was disappointed that there were no signs from the M1 and also the lack of breakfast catering. Possibly spoilt by other exhibitions but I always enjoy the day more if fuelled by a breakfast. Doesn’t need to be cordon bleu but if my alarm is on for six and I’m up shower and out, an adequate breakfast and some guidance surely isn’t too much to ask for.

Will I return? Doubtful if I’m honest but my show choices are always heavily dependent on the layouts attending but with this years personal negatives that list will need to go some to attract me back.

As an out of town traveller though, I was disappointed that there were no signs from the M1 and also the lack of breakfast catering. Possibly spoilt by other exhibitions but I always enjoy the day more if fuelled by a breakfast. Doesn’t need to be cordon bleu but if my alarm is on for six and I’m up shower and out, an adequate breakfast and some guidance surely isn’t too much to ask for.

Will I return? Doubtful if I’m honest but my show choices are always heavily dependent on the layouts attending but with this years personal negatives that list will need to go some to attract me back.

As a general point of discussion, I would add that a lot of the signage used by other shows is often too small or ill thought through (and often illegal). Plus in the case of Stevenage, you won't necessarily want to be directed to the venue, and there's no guarantee every driver would choose the same car park. The only real solution for 2019 and its driving styles is to use a satnav and choose your own destination (which could include another station in the ECML considering how close Stevenage station is).

I'd agree with you regarding the layouts, however I feel this is one of the few shows that I could trust to provide an excellent list every year.

• RMweb Gold

As an out of town traveller though, I was disappointed that there were no signs from the M1

To the exhibition? Must admit, have not been to a railway show yet where it is signposted from the motorway. A banner and a few signs a few streets away from the venue is about the best I have seen for shows elsewhere.

Would be a shame if that and breakie puts you off as it’s always an excellent show...

Edited by bcnPete

My first visit to Stevenage and I did fully enjoy the time I spent at the exhibition and viewing some old favourites and some wanna see layouts in the form of Oldham Kings Street.

Having come up along the A1m, I didn't really need signage to find the venue. But as a stranger to town having found the venue I wasn't sure I found the right location and had to ask if it was he correct place. I didn't see any external signage saying a show was on, but I was told there was one. I thought there could of been some signs pointing you in the right direction near to the venue perhaps.

Not sure I would expect signs from the M1 for Stevenage never mind the show!

I visited on Saturday and was most impressed, again. I was going to go by rail to avoid car parking issues but weekend closures caused me to get the car out of the garage. Actually the parking wasn't too bad.

Good trade, outstanding layouts and an excellent series of demos including one on scenics to a pair of boys who were delighted to get hands on to make a flowering shrub. I just watched and learned, now I now how to do it as well.

Many thanks to the CMRA for another really good show.

• RMweb Premium

The cafe upstairs was open on Saturday morning before the show opened. They probably can't afford to open it on Sunday when there wouldn't normally be much custom for it anyway. It was the same at St.Albans.

As for signs around the venue, yes they could be better. New-town centres can be mazes to the unwary.

My understanding is that legal road signs (such as AA) can only be put up if your event has dedicated car parking

I remember being told once at Colchester (when the venue was at the institute there) that there were no road signs permitted for the model railway exhibition because the venue itself was signposted.

Displaying a large banner on the building itself could be another option, if the building permits it.

Anyway, it was another very good show. CMRA have never disappointed with this.

• RMweb Premium

On Saturday 12th January 2019, I made my first visit to the Chiltern Model Railway Association show, in Stevenage. I thought it was a really great event, with a good balance of layouts, trade and demonstrations.

Thanks to the organisers for the event and, probably, the best *free* showguide, ive ever seen - well done chaps! It was really nice to see lots of layouts that were new to me, as well as a couple of old favourites.

I did get a bit miffed when a small group of old men stood for ages, in front of a popular layout, harping on about roadworks and immigrants and what should be done with them! Sorry guys, but take your chat elsewhere - maybe even moderate your subject matter in public - and let the rest of us, enjoy the cracking layouts!

Here is my footage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that a model railway exhibition failing to lay on a breakfast for you is a valid complaint, there are numerous places to get a breakfast within a couple of minutes walk of the venue. The organisers job was to lay on a good spread of high quality exhibits for your enjoyment which they most certainly did in spades.

Jerry  

• RMweb Gold

We had a very enjoyable weekend exhibiting at the show and, as usual, were very well looked after - many thanks to all involved. Thanks to TomE, we had an hour on Sunday afternoon to look round ourselves and were very impressed by the quality of exhibits assembled.

We were next to Ian Smith's beautiful Modbury and about the only picture I took all weekend was of Tim Watson's P2 stretching its legs in south Devon in the time honored tradition on 2mm layouts of completely inappropriate visitors!

post-1074-0-37889900-1547457316_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 4

On Saturday 12th January 2019, I made my first visit to the Chiltern Model Railway Association show, in Stevenage. I thought it was a really great event, with a good balance of layouts, trade and demonstrations.

Thanks to the organisers for the event and, probably, the best *free* showguide, ive ever seen - well done chaps! It was really nice to see lots of layouts that were new to me, as well as a couple of old favourites.

I did get a bit miffed when a small group of old men stood for ages, in front of a popular layout, harping on about roadworks and immigrants and what should be done with them! Sorry guys, but take your chat elsewhere - maybe even moderate your subject matter in public - and let the rest of us, enjoy the cracking layouts!

Here is my footage.

Many thanks for posting your excellent videos, partly because as an exhibitor myself I hardly saw any of the other layouts despite being there for the whole time and partly because you took some fantastic shots of my own layout  - zooming in to detail that is hard to see with the naked eye at an exhibition.

The venue was very close to Stevenage station so directions to that should have got you close enough to find a car park. There are in any case permanent signs (not from the M1 admittedly) to the Arts and Leisure Centre. Because of an eye problem I unusually came by train (from London,so not affected by the "improvements"  it was much more pleasant than the M25/A1M so I will do so again) and had to wait for my friends so had a coffee in the upstairs café. It was very good coffee and the only downside was that their offer on coffee plus a cake was far too tempting. For shows where I know the coffee will be catering instant and an urn I usually take a flask. 

Because Stevenage is further for me to travel than was St. Albans I only went because my friends were going with our annual "absent friends" curry afterwards but I'm really glad I did and cerrtainly intend to be there next year. It's always pleasing when a show exceeds your expectations and this one certainly did. 

As I've written elsewhere I enjoyed a great day out. Ferring was the outstanding layout for me. 

The only thing that I thought needed to be improved was the coffee. Mine was coloured, hot water.

Couldn't get back to town quickly enough for a Pret Latte at Canary Wharf(!)

The cafe upstairs was open on Saturday morning before the show opened. They probably can't afford to open it on Sunday when there wouldn't normally be much custom for it anyway. It was the same at St.Albans.

As for signs around the venue, yes they could be better. New-town centres can be mazes to the unwary.

Thankfully my step father (from St.Albans) in the end decided in the end not to attend. His sense of direction is pretty poor at the best of times (and would have ended up by default at the car park over the railway line despite me copying and pasting him the earlier posts about this).

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the videos - people spend all weekend clicking and filming away and we see very little of what they produce. It's both interesting and useful to see someone else's take on a layout you've been involved with.

I enjoyed what was a quality show, but the temperature in the sports hall was very uncomfortable all day on Saturday and after a better, cooler, start on Sunday suddenly warmed up to equally uncomfortable levels. It can't have help ed the layouts and it certainly did nothing for me. The main hall was much more temperate.

This was my first visit since it left St. Albans and I have to say, my whinge above apart, this is a far superior venue.

• Like 2

Excellent videos, a real pleasure to watch, but I'm sure my trains on 'Clearwater Harbor' weren't running that fast though! - I'll have to check the brake blocks as well as clean the wheels now and it's  no wonder some of the couplings need adjustment.

Brilliant bit of filming. Many thanks.

As an exhibitor to the show I must congratulate and thank the CMRA for an excellent event and organisation. It was a tiring but thoroughly enjoyable experience hopefully to be repeated next year as part of the  45ft of 'Orange River and Portland' (FN3) or (15mm:ft ) or 1:22.3 layout team.

Edited by steve W

• RMweb Premium

I would add my thanks for the posted shots and videos with a question if I may. Are there two Oldham King Street 7mm layouts in existance? Web searches seem to come up with two entirely different ones.

thanks,

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I would add my thanks for the posted shots and videos with a question if I may. Are there two Oldham King Street 7mm layouts in existance? Web searches seem to come up with two entirely different ones.

thanks,

Izzy

His original layout was OKS and this one is OKS Parcels....

• RMweb Premium

His original layout was OKS and this one is OKS Parcels....

Ah, thanks, that explains it. I kept reading OKS was previously Ian Futers that had moved on, but just couldn’t square the differing track configurations. The new design really nails the urban setting although I guess it’s probably rather larger than the previous version.

Lovely whatever.

Izzy