Jump to content

Andy Y

Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Recommended Posts

*Cough*Hunt Couplings*Cough* ^_^

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pleased to say my TFD has arrived from Hattons. The TS x3 and TSD are due tomorrow. 

 

Beautiful work on the model - a vast improvement on the previous Hornby Mk3s. Pleased to also see the roof colour matches the first release HST powercars too. The bodyside colours differ very slightly, but not that noticeable (to me anyway). I'll be attempting to remove the valence on the PCs as the prototype got the mods by the time the Mk3SDs came in. 

 

Bravo Hornby. 

IMG_20200501_150438_724.jpg

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

 

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-for-new-Hornby-mk3s-with-sliding-doors-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-p-51

 

Note these one have a specific design by the looks of it. Not sure these come with the ones for the loco though?

 

Hmm yes, the description isn't specific enough on the website.  Drop the guys an email or message.  They do two specific types for the two types of HST trailer, but this does now make a 3rd?   The other two types DO include couplings for the power cars.  Best to ask before ordering.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

 

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-for-new-Hornby-mk3s-with-sliding-doors-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-p-51

 

Note these one have a specific design by the looks of it. Not sure these come with the ones for the loco though?

 

I emailed them this afternoon and they said they'll offering them as sets for the SD's with the Power car couplings by Sunday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, axlej said:

 

I emailed them this afternoon and they said they'll offering them as sets for the SD's with the Power car couplings by Sunday.

 

I'll keep an eye on the website then, ready for when the ScotRail ones turn up. Although says R3 and above, I'm sure all of my loops on the station have R2 somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if at some point in the (relative near) future, the MK3 will be re-done with on-board lighting, doors that can open with a function button and maybe even speakers that would give that wailing upon entering / exiting a station.

Clearly costing £150 each...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing a few videos on YouTube of these coaches, I’m very much looking forward to the scotrail coaches!

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered and paid for 22 XC and GWR MK3s from KMS Railtech.. I'm quite taken by these to be honest and as yet have nothing to moan about which is unusual.. apart from some naff livery application in the photos above by Bryn Jones. Hopefully mine are all ok. Scotrail set is on order when it arrives. Can't run anything until the club reopens after lockdown, but overall these look fab. Dirt cheap too, making it really easy to buy a rake in one hit. These will sell out I'm sure, hence why I haven't waited. 

 

Alex

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2020 at 13:56, TomScrut said:

 

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-for-new-Hornby-mk3s-with-sliding-doors-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-p-51

 

Note these one have a specific design by the looks of it. Not sure these come with the ones for the loco though?

Hi @TomScrut they are for 10 pairs, but if you require a pair of the hst powercar coulings included just drop a message on checkout, a HST pack with the power couplings will be available from Tommorow, just got to finish the photos, regards Chris

Edited by Westhillwagonworks
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lochnagar said:

Just ordered and paid for 22 XC and GWR MK3s from KMS Railtech.. I'm quite taken by these to be honest and as yet have nothing to moan about which is unusual.. apart from some naff livery application in the photos above by Bryn Jones. Hopefully mine are all ok. Scotrail set is on order when it arrives. Can't run anything until the club reopens after lockdown, but overall these look fab. Dirt cheap too, making it really easy to buy a rake in one hit. These will sell out I'm sure, hence why I haven't waited. 

 

Alex

 

Christ, that's a fair few quid!

 

My XC coaches have had very very minor paint marks, to the point where I'd not notice them if I wasn't looking up close. 

 

Looking forward to my Hunt Couplings arriving (along with other mk3/mk2 ones) so I can get them all converted.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 11:36, Jack Mc said:

Do they have spare power cars? I know for certain that 43155 is still in use with GWR however it doesn't appear on these lists.

 

Jack

 

Yes, still got spares as the powercars need work more frequently than the coaching stock. There will be 28 powercars in total so there will always be spares to cover for heavy maintenance or any other issues.

155 is currently spare at Laira, it was stood down for B exam towards the end of April.

 

Al

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interlocked for Mk3SD (some Angel, some First Rail holdings):

43004, 005, 016, 040, 041, 042, 092, 093, 094, 097, 098, 122, 153, 154, 155, 158, 170, 186, 187, 189, 192, 194

 

Angel Trains on hire to GWR (spares/retention) - NOT interlocked:

43009, 010, 020, 022, 023, 027, 029, 088, 156, 160, 162, 171, 172, 191, 198

 

GWR asset for retention/conversion of First Rail Holdings:

088, 156, 160, 162, 195 (156/162 currently at Wabtec for interlocking (156 in GWR green)).

 

Direct Award 3 is widely understood to include in the short term an additional three ’Castle’/GTI sets to be confirmed shortly, including two further class 43 spares from Angel....shall see though what passenger numbers are like! 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Interlocked for Mk3SD (some Angel, some First Rail holdings):

43004, 005, 016, 040, 041, 042, 092, 093, 094, 097, 098, 122, 153, 154, 155, 158, 170, 186, 187, 189, 192, 194

 

Angel Trains on hire to GWR (spares/retention) - NOT interlocked:

43009, 010, 020, 022, 023, 027, 029, 088, 156, 160, 162, 171, 172, 191, 198

 

GWR asset for retention/conversion of First Rail Holdings:

088, 156, 160, 162, 195 (156/162 currently at Wabtec for interlocking (156 in GWR green)).

 

Direct Award 3 is widely understood to include in the short term an additional three ’Castle’/GTI sets to be confirmed shortly, including two further class 43 spares from Angel....shall see though what passenger numbers are like! 

 

I'm afraid that list is both out of date and wrong - 023 is now at Ely and has been for a few months, while 088 / 156 / 160 / 162 were Porterbrook locos since sold to the First Greater Western Franchise (Not First Rail Holdings etc - they're franchise assets). 063 (Angel owned) is also at Laira. 

 

Also, Porterbrook owned 43091 has also made a return to Laira, with 086 taking it's place in Long Marston. 

Edited by surfsup
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Afroal05 said:

 

Yes, still got spares as the powercars need work more frequently than the coaching stock. There will be 28 powercars in total so there will always be spares to cover for heavy maintenance or any other issues.

155 is currently spare at Laira, it was stood down for B exam towards the end of April.

 

Al

Hi @Afroal05 the powercar couplings are now available to be added or purchased seperate, see our facebook post here: 

 

 

Edited by Westhillwagonworks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2020 at 16:23, TomScrut said:

if we are out of stock please check back in store when you can, more sets of all our couplings are added daily to our store as they are produced 7 days a week!

 

Regards Chris Bower - West Hill Wagon Works

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Westhillwagonworks said:

not available to be added

 

I presume that's meant to say now? I put a note asking for a pair of power car fittings to be substituted into my order, I presume you'll see that and do it?

 

Or do I have to order the power car ones separately and if so can I add to the order without paying postage again?

 

Sorry for asking on the thread but thought the reply may be useful info to others.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

 

I presume that's meant to say now? I put a note asking for a pair of power car fittings to be substituted into my order, I presume you'll see that and do it?

Thank you :-) autocorrect mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

 

I presume that's meant to say now? I put a note asking for a pair of power car fittings to be substituted into my order, I presume you'll see that and do it?

 

Yes got your note all sorted :-)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my GWR set, extremely happy with them and Hornby have done a fine job on these. Just hope that the slam door variant will get this treatment and older/more liveries will follow. (My preference being the First Great Western dynamic lines again)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did notice on mine, the bogies are clipped in, like the older mk3. I also noted 4 little plastic prongs on them, that looked very similar to the mounting points for light pick ups on my mk2E. So they have given the tooling availability for lighting in the future. They might use similar parts and refresh the mk3, they’ll need to keep the cost down though, Given that the 91 is coming out and they are doing the buffered hst they might re tool them for early use, but they’ll probably do mk4s instead. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2020 at 11:20, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder if at some point in the (relative near) future, the MK3 will be re-done with on-board lighting, doors that can open with a function button and maybe even speakers that would give that wailing upon entering / exiting a station.

Clearly costing £150 each...

 

If any coach deserves this gold standard treatment it would be the iconic slam door Mk3. I have wondered why nobody has tried producing some where the doors can be opened by hand. Would only require a couple of tiny hinges. I’m not saying it would be cheap but it would be revolutionary. Imagine being able to market a model coach as having opening doors. :superman:

 

More likely they’ll just be redone with interior lighting and more realistic interior seat mouldings unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of gimmicks I'd never use I'd rather see retooling that corrects the error on the roof of the slam-door TGS coach, adds a proper TRSB/TRFB coach into the range and has another go at the TRUB/TRBF but without the inaccurate CDL/passenger door at the counter end. Update these and do replacement interiors to reflect the later seating layouts and colours, more detailed ends and coach connections and I'd be in the market for some, provided they went through some of the InterCity/early privatisation liveries.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.