A country lane level crossing

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I saw how you'd made your gate, and just copied the idea but using wood instead of plastic.  With it being 7mm and potentially very close to the camera, it seemed the right thing to do.

Time will tell if I can paint it convincingly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep I agree, given the scale and how close to the camera it will be, using wood makes complete sense.

Are you going to go for crossing-gate white as a finish or leave it as natural wood?

If the latter, maybe Colron (á la Allan Downes' ) or other wood-stain might work?

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going for white, though it might have seen better days...  given the time span of the module is about 30 years, it needs to look careworn but looked after, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

it needs to look careworn but looked after, if that makes any sense whatsoever. 

Yep.

It would probably be planed timber originally, rather than the rougher look it has at the moment, but I guess over time that might get worse.

Nice clean black ironwork, and white paint, sounds good.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I gave the gates and posts a coat of H34 Matt white.

It wasn't very impressive as I think the white has 'gone off' (probably hasn't, probably needed more mixing...).

So today I gave one gate a coat of what I thought was gloss white - nope - it was Ivory (H41).

Which resulted in a lunchtime trip to KMRC to purchase some more paint, and a backscene with clouds.

I found myself looking at the O gauge locos and thinking, 'Hmm, not that expensive..."

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The road surface has had the first coat of paint and a dusting of gravel ( talc).

20190227_184931.jpg.8161398a986b36ac4e1599396c71cd1b.jpg

20190227_184947.jpg.7fb2991c63a9bd8b62c3f79f2a0757ce.jpg

Further ground cover will add more gravel to the off-road area and more tarmac-ish stuff to the road surface.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I really need to make some progress on this (and 'Adelstrop'), before the end of the month.

Excuses such as being made redundant and having to apply for new internal jobs is not really the issue. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:55, Stubby47 said:

Er, they are all boys...

I'll only use one of three, possibly the one nearest the camera. I also need to find a suitable young man and ideally a scooter (Vespa).

Must get my eyes tested, the middle one looked as though they were wearing a skirt, on closer inspection it is shorts.

• Friendly/supportive 1