Bachmann TTA to TTB backdating - anyone done one?

As I model c.1970 with all vac braked stock, I'm looking to backdate some Bachmann TTA tank wagons to (what became TOPS code) TTB, ie Vacuum braked, through air piped, by fitting vac cylinder etc - assuming such mods are correct for this type of wagon.

I ask as photos of such wagons appear in this timescale in mixed freights so I assume they are vac braked, though accept they could be through piped instead.

I know its a fairly small detail to fuss over but can anyone help with the correct location for fitting a Vacuum cylinder on these please (or link to a clear photo as those I have seen do not show enough detail).

Would the chassis arrangement be similar orientation to the Heljan class A tank wagon?

If anyone has tackled this job, any photos of your model(s) would be welcome too.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
TTV reference corrected to TTB.
  • Like 1

Here’s one of mine Martyn,

I removed the air distributor and tank and fitted two vacuum cylinders. You could add some linkages if you felt like it but I’m not sure how they are laid out. This one is still a work in progress and will get safety loops before it gets out on the layout.

post-7228-0-87987700-1547741512_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 4

Here’s one of mine Martyn,

I removed the air distributor and tank and fitted two vacuum cylinders. You could add some linkages if you felt like it but I’m not sure how they are laid out. This one is still a work in progress and will get safety loops before it gets out on the layout.

Thanks very much for sharing that Dave, I did wonder if they might have 2 vac cylinders (As per the Airfix/Dapol Class B tank). I doubt I will get as far as the safety loops but your brake rigging looks good!

Cheers.

I've not studied the Bachy model, despite lots of my photos being used (and more to come) I've never handled the model.

This might help https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/wagondetailspoetc/e5343b2b2

However there are many differences in brake rigging in both Air braked and the original vacuum braked arrangement. Many TTA were not TTVs before, but many were. Hundreds of TTVs in my collections. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=ttv    https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fueltankwagons

Nice drawings by Peter in Bartlett, Paul W & Fidczuk, Peter (1992) Tank wagons, part 6. SMBP 45ton GLW tank wagons,       Model Railways vol. 9 (part 4) pp 182 - 188.

Drawing  SMBP 45t Class A tank wagon vacuum brake diag. TT026H/J/N (386 & 396) and Airbrake TT088F.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

I've not studied the Bachy model, despite lots of my photos being used (and more to come) I've never handled the model.

This might help https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/wagondetailspoetc/e5343b2b2

However there are many differences in brake rigging in both Air braked and the original vacuum braked arrangement. Many TTA were not TTVs before, but many were. Hundreds of TTVs in my collections. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=ttv    https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fueltankwagons

Nice drawings by Peter in Bartlett, Paul W & Fidczuk, Peter (1992) Tank wagons, part 6. SMBP 45ton GLW tank wagons,       Model Railways vol. 9 (part 4) pp 182 - 188.

Drawing  SMBP 45t Class A tank wagon vacuum brake diag. TT026H/J/N (386 & 396) and Airbrake TT088F.

Paul

Hello Paul, many thanks, your first link is particularly useful in showing the arrangement, couldn't really ask for more!

The other photos will help with identifying visible brake lever arrangements and differences and of course types with similar suspension set up to the Bachmann model hopefully. Somehow I missed many of those photos as I searched for "Class A tank" instead of using the TOPS code as I should have done.....hey ho!

Very grateful for your input.

Hello

One thing you don't need to do is alter the springs as the Bachmann TTA is basically a TTV to look at as they have leaf springs. The TTAs have Bruninghaus springs. So if you want an accurate TTA you need to change the springs. The reason to alter the springs was to increase speed especially in Speedlink trains.

Cheers

George

Hello

One thing you don't need to do is alter the springs as the Bachmann TTA is basically a TTV to look at as they have leaf springs. The TTAs have Bruninghaus springs. So if you want an accurate TTA you need to change the springs. The reason to alter the springs was to increase speed especially in Speedlink trains.

Cheers

George

Thanks George, that is handy to know!

One thing you don't need to do is alter the springs as the Bachmann TTA is basically a TTV to look at as they have leaf springs. The TTAs have Bruninghaus springs. So if you want an accurate TTA you need to change the springs.

I’m not sure it’s entirely true that air brake conversion happened at the same time as the fitting of Bruninghaus springs George.

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Cheers

George

George is too modest to mention his article in, I believe, Model Rail, on the subject.

Mike.

I’m not sure it’s entirely true that air brake conversion happened at the same time as the fitting of Bruninghaus springs George.

Bruninghaus spring figment on many of the TTAs was a later mod.

Thanks all, I realise tank wagons are a complex subject with so many different users, brake and springing variations, conversion dates etc which could no doubt fill a book or 3 quite easily.

As I'm looking to keep things quite simple I will be leaving the axlebox/spring arrangements as they are, and concentrating on brake cylinders, renumbering and weathering mainly.

Further to this subject, I wish to keep my tanks with "Esso" markings suitable for c.1970 period as per the Bachmann model, albeit with renumbering on a few:

post-28743-0-86990700-1548072388_thumb.jpg

However, a rather good photo (P.59 in "Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region", Strathwood) of such grey class "A" tanks being shunted at Oban in 1971 appears to show the "BRT" Owners logo painted out with a dark grey rectangle (judging by the size and location on the tank barrel); did Esso own them at this point?

Also would this have applied to the whole Esso fleet at this time? Interestingly, closer study shows all the other tanks in the photo to be Shell/BP black class "B" tanks (presumably supplying the ferries etc).

Thanks for any further pointers.

• RMweb Gold

Oh no! if I convert one to VB I will need to do all 20....

Will stick at renumbering them I think and ensure that we have no major shunts that could reveal the underframe details....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

Oh no! if I convert one to VB I will need to do all 20....

Will stick at renumbering them I think and ensure that we have no major shunts that could reveal the underframe details....

Phil

Hi Phil, if I was doing 20 I would be of the same opinion! In fairness the Vac cylinders would be fairly well hidden at the end where there are brake hangers on both sides of the chassis (with the cross bar, to which they would be attached of course); further study is called for before I start attacking any of my 4.... :yes:

Edit: looking again at Paul Bartlett's photo of the chassis linked in his post above, the Vac cylinders seem very close to the cross bar or even directly above it, but his photo here shows the Vac cylinders position to be inboard:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/smbp64100-64399/h1c2d7c1e

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

Further to this subject, I wish to keep my tanks with "Esso" markings suitable for c.1970 period as per the Bachmann model, albeit with renumbering on a few:

attachicon.gif20190121_120307.jpg

However, a rather good photo (P.59 in "Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region", Strathwood) of such grey class "A" tanks being shunted at Oban in 1971 appears to show the "BRT" Owners logo painted out with a dark grey rectangle (judging by the size and location on the tank barrel); did Esso own them at this point?

Also would this have applied to the whole Esso fleet at this time? Interestingly, closer study shows all the other tanks in the photo to be Shell/BP black class "B" tanks (presumably supplying the ferries etc).

Thanks for any further pointers.

Esso owned some of their tanks, others were hired.

Paul Bartlett has the BRT owned ones here, there are photos in the 80's with the BRT visible:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brttanks

Esso owned ones were in a different number series:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essomonobloctank

• Like 1

Esso owned some of their tanks, others were hired.

Paul Bartlett has the BRT owned ones here, there are photos in the 80's with the BRT visible:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brttanks

Esso owned ones were in a different number series:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essomonobloctank

Thanks Giz, might perhaps be a trick of the light due to the angle in the photo I referred to, could just be that the BRT logos are filthy, much like this one:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brttanks/h40125a2

• RMweb Gold

Weren't some of these wagons coded 'TTF', as they were fitted with Automatic Freight Inshot brakes which had two, differently-sized vacuum cylinders?

Ah - that makes sense - take a look at Paul's first link back up in post 4 above....

Phil

• Like 1

Hello

I may be wrong but I think the Esso owned TTV/TTA tanks had different steps to the type in your photograph. They has a single ladder down one end and not two , one on each side. I did a rake for our Towcester layout using Skits etches. See the pictures on Paul Bartlett's site.

Cheers

George

I have made a start on a generic vacuum brake conversion in a similar manner to Waveydavey's post earlier, which I am covering on p.28 of my work bench thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112980-signaller69s-projects-tanker-tinkering/page-28 .

I hope repeating a couple of photos here is ok. As can be seen from progress thus far the visual difference is not too obvious so it remains conjecture as to whether it is particularly worthwhile:

post-28743-0-57819400-1548102213_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-25351700-1548102238_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-17240100-1548105855_thumb.jpg

There is a bit more to do yet.

Hello

I may be wrong but I think the Esso owned TTV/TTA tanks had different steps to the type in your photograph. They has a single ladder down one end and not two , one on each side. I did a rake for our Towcester layout using Skits etches. See the pictures on Paul Bartlett's site.

Cheers

George

Thanks George, yes funnily enough I noticed that a lot of the photos showed a single end ladder so will probably attempt that on some if not all.

Beware, those ESSO wagons with single ladders are TSV not TTV (only 36 tonnes GLW). They have different dimensions to the usual TTV/TTA wagons, the wheelbase is the same but the overall length and barrel length and width are smaller:

TSV

post-7112-0-09159300-1548116989_thumb.jpg

TTA

post-7112-0-13665200-1548117053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood

Beware, those ESSO wagons with single ladders are TSV not TTV (only 36 tonnes GLW). They have different dimensions to the usual TTV/TTA wagons, the wheelbase is the same but the overall length and barrel length and width are smaller:

TSV

TSV.jpg

TTA

Diagram TT088P.jpg

Thanks Flood, that is quite relevant to me so I'm glad you pointed that out, saves chopping ladders around, at least from my point of view. Cheers for posting the plan views too.