A New Micro layout

A new project then.

For a long time I've been trying to find a way to use the UK outline stock I keep accumulating  here in the USA.  The latest issue of Model Rail with all the layouts built using Tim Horn baseboard kits struck a chord with me and so I started trying to come up with something. Doodling with track and structures to get some ideas.

IMG_7181.jpg.2903cc23a3ff876a1303b0e158976867.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg.4059da3a83c249d4156e111d64cb81a0.jpg

I liked what I was getting from the ideas. 

Enough to go out and build some baseboards.

Now despite my best efforts at total incompetency that included driving a nail into my thumb and measuring 13 9/16"  instead of 12" I have a pair of baseboards, 3 feet x 13 9/16" wide. One baseboard will house the layout and the other the sector plate fiddle yard. 

IMG_7194_HEIC.jpg.68f73af63289723308581eb9b14a7240.jpgIMG_7195_HEIC.jpg.1f42ad2b7d77e435fece81bd086cdf8c.jpg

Lets see what happens from here.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

Modelling of US based layouts has increased in popularity here in the UK in recent years
So it's great to see a UK layout project on your side of the pond :)

As has been said, any layout plan including a class 24 has to be worth keeping an eye on, and I'd agree with that.
The Bachmann model is a cracking runner too - so shunting should be reliable.

Glad to see you have checked the boards fit in your car first..... it has been the last check done, just before an exhibition ;)
(I promise to reveal no names, of course! lol)

• Like 1

As I had no cork tiles in stock to lay track on. I decided to take a leaf out of Chris Nevard's book and lay the track on 5mm foam board (I have loads of that, and I'm trying to keep expenditure to a minimum) This will be a new experience for me. Still a little unsure how that will work out, but hey, If it works for him, then it must be OK.

With that board down and a nice clean white surface to work on I laid the elements out. It looks very wide open. The tin tabernacle won't make it to the layout. I'll be looking for a bigger house for that location. I like my single ended platform, its quirky, light railway-ish. That'll stay. It'll soon be time to give the layout a name and location.

IMG_7206.jpg.9cdd4ea7c8eaf6e603b324602ab1c8e3.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looking good - will follow with interest.

Can I assume that the platform line will terminate at this stop and not carry on (either in reality or practically)? I say that because you could either put in the 'buffers' or suggest that the line continues - even if it doesn't!

I also love the rail bus and class 24 - right up my street.

All the best,

James

• Like 1

A selection of images from old postcards I’ve amassed over the years of the Lincolnshire coastal area, for inspiration.

A18AA3DD-C70A-4173-B67B-B91FD44CBC7B.jpeg.3d0ac2af8438a5ec91e9c44691aab34d.jpeg

Above: Perhaps that shelter at the right might make a good platform shelter.

EA1F5B1E-8B15-4435-8765-42694A34016F.jpeg.04e9fad7c1171ada28216e789b10895f.jpeg

Above: Be nice to have a dyke full of water in there somehow.

447335D7-29B4-4A9B-A5C4-9BF3C62DA936.jpeg.fa701fa7d7cd67332f72a3b701e4f51c.jpeg

Above: Damn! Lincolnshire is flat

8459A2D8-227C-456E-830B-270B67A2F66D.jpeg.f2faaba74c3c55454b373a2203600d80.jpeg

Above: A Wesleyan/Methodist Chapel would fit in nicely. Hornby Skaledale have a low relief one in their range.

some food for thought 

• Like 8

On 04/02/2019 at 09:59, marc smith said:

Glad to see you have checked the boards fit in your car first..... it has been the last check done, just before an exhibition

There’s a good chance the layout will even fit in the trunk of my Model T Ford :D

Found a Hornby Skaledale chapel on Ebay. It should make a most excellent view block. To me, who grew up with with The Hornby buildings of the 1970’s. A structure like this is quite remarkable FFCBB78B-7FCC-4FDD-926C-C67B1D653D0A.jpeg.daf106efcf489d3234239e73caa5370a.jpeg

Edited by Ian Holmes
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3

Nice to see such a building being used as a view-blocker Ian. Yes, the ready to plant buildings are really good these days, I agree.
A few years back, I picked up a building from the Thomas the tank range - I think it's a blacksmiths building. I got it cheap - because the box was tatty / damaged
It needs some toning down here & there, and perhaps a bit of filler in some of the joints between window frames and their surrounds, but it's basically a great little building.
It doesn't fit anywhere on my newest project - but it will fit somewhere.... one day!

This layout is looking good. It's got a nice sense of space about it. That can be quite tricky to achieve, with smaller layouts. But you're not tempted to try and cram too much in.... which is great, and I think will work here

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Found a Hornby Skaledale chapel on Ebay. It should make a most excellent view block. To me, who grew up with with The Hornby buildings of the 1970’s. A structure like this is quite remarkable FFCBB78B-7FCC-4FDD-926C-C67B1D653D0A.jpeg.daf106efcf489d3234239e73caa5370a.jpeg

1 minute ago, marc smith said:

Nice to see such a building being used as a view-blocker Ian. Yes, the ready to plant buildings are really good these days, I agree.
A few years back, I picked up a building from the Thomas the tank range - I think it's a blacksmiths building. I got it cheap - because the box was tatty / damaged
It needs some toning down here & there, and perhaps a bit of filler in some of the joints between window frames and their surrounds, but it's basically a great little building.
It doesn't fit anywhere on my newest project - but it will fit somewhere.... one day!

This layout is looking good. It's got a nice sense of space about it. That can be quite tricky to achieve, with smaller layouts. But you're not tempted to try and cram too much in.... which is great, and I think will work here

Ian,

This is coming on nicely. I agree that works really well in hiding the entrance/exit to the fiddle yard. Better than the bog standard overbridge which would obviously not be very fitting given the Lincolnshire setting!

David 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, marc smith said:

I agree the resin building are very good, and the Thomas the Tank Engine range should not be overlooked, I picked up a nice steel water tank with a good distressed finish.

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, d&h said:

I agree the resin building are very good, and the Thomas the Tank Engine range should not be overlooked, I picked up a nice steel water tank with a good distressed finish.

Yes, I had one of those on my old Hendre Lane layout. It was an ideal size for a small layout. The distressed, rusty look was pretty good too.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 04:11, marc smith said:

Thanks Marc. Yes the feeling of space is very important to me. Some folks seem to feel that because the layout is in a small space you have to cram as much as possible in there. Less is More for me.

I just discovered the Hornby Skaledale Old Toll cottage. It looks awfully like the one on the A153 just outside of Louth. I might have to try to fit that building in too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Thanks Marc. Yes the feeling of space is very important to me. Some folks seem to feel that because the layout is in a small space you have to cram as much as possible in there. Less is More for me.

I just discovered the Hornby Skaledale Old Toll cottage. It looks awfully like the one on the A153 just outside of Louth. I might have to try to fit that building in too

Ian,

I would agree and think you're starting to do an excellent job in conveying that sense of space. Capturing that 'wide open spaces' atmosphere of Lincolnshire will be the challenge in a relatively small space but something I am sure you will rise to!

This photo should give you an idea of the track arrangement. There’s a short siding for the rail bus. A longer siding for a freight train (or a 2 car DMU if I’m so inclined) the middle two lines for the passing loop when aligned correctly. I think I saw this idea on Iain C. Rice’s Hepton Wharf. D855B98E-24BD-470E-A919-DA599B44A60A.jpeg.b8a04c197a2361f10780bd2513b3f13b.jpeg

• Like 10

Hi Ian

If you've not come across it before might I point you at Scalecenes by John Wiffen? As you are in the US his downloadable buildings might be just the ticket! Certainly his lock keeper's cottage or crossing keeper's cottage might fit very nicely into your layout. No connection other than impressed customer!

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1