21 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

The water effect looks a little flat to me so I’ve ordered some modge podge glue which is what Luke Towan recommends for creating small ripples on top of resin.

I was just wondering as I quite like the water as it is , but am I right in assuming that canal water is actually quite still as its not running water so to speak ?

Anyone know a bit more about this ,  do canals flow ?

Just to add not a criticism Luke of you wanting ripples just was interested in whether they would be still or flowing !

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, col_kilgore said:

I was just wondering as I quite like the water as it is , but am I right in assuming that canal water is actually quite still as its not running water so to speak ?

Anyone know a bit more about this ,  do canals flow ?

Just to add not a criticism Luke of you wanting ripples just was interested in whether they would be still or flowing !

Thats a good question! I have a very limited knowledge but I’m guessing that they tried to keep the canals flat so barges could travel both directions along the canal yet they did need to flow in some direction so that the water didn’t get stagnant. I assume that the rate of flow would change from area to area though depending on the geology and topography.

13 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thats a good question! I have a very limited knowledge but I’m guessing that they tried to keep the canals flat so barges could travel both directions along the canal yet they did need to flow in some direction so that the water didn’t get stagnant. I assume that the rate of flow would change from area to area though depending on the geology and topography.

Whilst I'm no expert: There is usually very little flow on canals, although locks will drain water downhill and a system of reservoirs and overflows maintain a consistent water level and slight movement. Flow is certainly heavily dictated by the particular canal you're on; those which share much of their course with natural rivers will have more than completely isolated stretches.
Not that this has everything to do with surface ripples; they are created by wind. If the canal basin is large and open there'll be some, but if it's narrow and sheltered as nearly all urban canals are, they're pretty smooth. I think what you've already got is perfect, but a few small ripples would add further visual interest and suggest a more open river or basin than a canal. Just go with what feels right for you!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Probably! I was at the stand at about 4 on the Saturday. 

Was experiencing the delights of Northern Rail back across the Pennines  :D

Decent day yet again :drink_mini: round a fantastic City - that's coming from a Lancastrian.

Ian

• Like 1

The mod podge arrived today so it’s been applied to the water. I used the airbrush just to create some random patterns by blowing air on the surface of the mod podge. It certainly smells a bit funny! 9747B779-6C75-4AB9-8377-0422706684A8.jpeg.d4e54952ae2c0963641576314ffbc254.jpegHopefully it will all be done by tomorrow then the water effect will be finished and I can move onto the buildings. I’d like to get all the buildings done first so that I can do the cobbles last which would allow them to be flush with the buildings. I’m still unsure how to go about doing the rails though. I could add check rails then add cobbles to the inside of that or I could out planking round the rails and points. I think maybe a mixture of them both would work well. 

• Like 3

I think I might have been too generous with the mod podge or put too much air into the glue with the airbrush but when I came to see how the glue had dried and it had turned a funny colour in deeper areas and it was also full of bubbles. Not impressed. Thankfully I was able to remove most of the dried mod podge as it peeled off with the help of the screw driver. This lead to some damage to th resin below and the stone quay bit. I then applied a much thinner coat of mod podge over the top which has worked really well. I think I definitely will be getting some barges/small boats to hide where I’ve messed up though. However, for a first ever attempt at water modelling I’m fairly pleased with it. It’s the sort of thing I might consider on future layouts now too.C5F36F04-A787-47FF-852B-E7125A7D52F9.jpeg.8ba87ffadd7a339b08fd9276de75f534.jpegAs you can see, the damage to the resin is in the bottom right hand sides and those spots of white is where the screw driver has unfortunately pierced the resin.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I did a bit more work on some of the buildings last night.  I added a second coat of paint onto the slate roof of the stone warehouse. I just used enamel paints on this. Its now nearing completion and just needs a few details and touch ups with the paint job before I’ll call it finished.AFC3743E-8ADC-4C9F-808C-A792F2AF4B48.jpeg.53f700254658c10e7539531e41291860.jpeg

I also got round to finishing off the other warehouse which has a single track leading into it which will hide the entrance to the fiddle yard. The roof is plasticard and the capping stones are bits of card. The small wooden door is thin strips of coffee stirrers. Now all the model needs is painting and some pipe work/ guttering adding.C15DEEBB-9E8B-44B5-9900-210B28E46A45.jpeg.78fa558f969e0dd68acf02dc382de7c5.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Finally found some more time to work on the layout. Just a simple job of painting the rails with humbrol enamel number 29. Didn’t take too long but made a big difference.0488ED52-CAA5-4A3D-8EB4-6F1D72791D51.jpeg.cdaa9c47d2b7ea21d72a69347ad51b9f.jpeg

Bottom left of that photo reminds me of a Thomas story! 

• Like 1

The backscenes are finally in! I’ve used one from the peco range and I think it suits the scene really well. I think it adds a lot more depth to the scene as you can see in the photos below.B2E23268-580F-4FDC-A09F-BAA3CDDF75C9.jpeg.3b901d9afa65c10e717421e1e85d9091.jpeg

61E6115D-7ED3-41ED-AED8-FEDFB12DC53D.jpeg.7625996467b3a16db32d5d659e722baa.jpeg

DC804206-96ED-4DC5-B015-F949099A016B.jpeg.5fdad46b339fdf4098cfd8f143cd0220.jpegI decided to curve the corners of the backscene a bit which i think has made a huge difference to the overall look of the layout - far less boxy. Don’t worry about the holes in the backscene, they will be covered up by buildings.

• Like 8

Already a perfect atmosphere, Luke! From low angles the warehouse and backscene look excellent. The wooden-inset track is a neat idea I might have to steal at some point, but it looks as if it's above rail height and fouling the van's coupling in the last photo. What are you planning on using the very front-left corner for? I can't think of anything useful that would fill that awkward space. So far though, it's a very good overall scene that I'm enjoying looking at, so you're doing something right!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

Already a perfect atmosphere, Luke! From low angles the warehouse and backscene look excellent. The wooden-inset track is a neat idea I might have to steal at some point, but it looks as if it's above rail height and fouling the van's coupling in the last photo. What are you planning on using the very front-left corner for? I can't think of anything useful that would fill that awkward space. So far though, it's a very good overall scene that I'm enjoying looking at, so you're doing something right!

Thanks Technic arrow. You are right about the wooden inset track fouling some of the couplings. It doesn’t help that the vans couplings do droop a little. I will be sanding it back prior to painting but when running trains I’ve not noticed it causing any problems.  For the front left corner I’m thinking maybe a large gate (closed) with a wooden archway or maybe a small boiler house and chimney. 

• Like 1