Underground ernie electric train chassis

pewky

dear all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever removed the body of the underground ernie Bachmann series (not the inspection vehicle but all the other units from the serie)?

In other words what kind of chassis/motor/drives is there?

thank you for your help?

Luc

Yes - I am using them under MDC boxcabs and Bertiedog (on here) has posted some pictures - needless to say I can't find them!) The chassis picks up on one bogie, and the motor is cental, driving one (traction tyred) axle on the other bogie and picking up on the other axle of that bogie also. My chassis are weighted to slightly over 200 grams, and run fine with a variable pulse width DC controller

I was wondering if anyone has ever removed the body of the underground ernie Bachmann series (not the inspection vehicle but all the other units from the serie)? 

In other words what kind of chassis/motor/drives is there?

The chassis is a central motor type with the capability to drive all axles, but the implementation used in the Underground Ernie models only drives both axles on one bogie (two car EMUs don't really need any more traction). I suspect that you could buy a new double-ended motor and with the parts from two chassis make a four axle drive chassis, and do away with the traction tyres if you are keen. The chassis is DCC ready with an 8-pin socket. As supplied top speed is not very high (I would guess about a protypical 30-40 mph in 7mm) so you might like to consider that if remotoring. Current pickup tends to be a bit temperamental out of the box, but they get better after ten or so hours of running - another reason to remotor and do away with the traction  tyres.

• Informative/Useful 1

post-6750-127256240599.jpg

The chassis with sideframes, push on, the pickups are split frame, and all wheel pickup, but to work well it needs weight added. The traction tyre is on the inner pair of the power car. The design is a little odd, the gear remains fixed as the bogie pivots, so the worm contact is slack by design.

post-6750-12725623954.jpg

BE WARNED, there is a very tiny plastic drive shaft between the the motor and gearbox, easily lost if the motor is removed. It is not possible to have a dual drive with the original motor, there is no shaft at other end as you can see in shots.

To dual drive the chassis, it would need a second unit, and a dual shaft Mashima to make it work. The gears are Nylon, with a brass worm. They seem accurate and are not forced on to steel axles, so should not split.

post-6750-12725623887.jpg

The shot shows the drive shaft, I don't think it worth dropping the traction tyre, it works fine with weight. The fitted motor is quiet and powerful, a three pole standard design. The Chassis is DCC ready.

It is quite quiet and smooth, and powerful when weight is added above the power bogie. The whole design is totally different to the UE inspection chassis, every detail is different.

Stephen.

Great bit if info again thank you very much,

It seems to be a decent enough piece of mechanics.

I am looking for making a chassis for a diesel Bo Bo. The prob is the boogies are side by side without any space between them.

Using such a chassis like the ernie one will mean a lot of engineering because I don t think that the non powered boggie will fit under the motor.

My safest option so far was to get a power boggie like the triang one or old lima. But they are old and still a bit pricy for what they are.

I am thinking about it

thank you again

Luc

Guest stuartp

Currently ten quid a pop in Yorkshire Trading for those of you between the Esk and the Humber. No doubt other purveyors of overstocks and similar quality merchandise have them too.

Great bit if info again thank you very much,

It seems to be a decent enough piece of mechanics.

I am looking for making a chassis for a diesel Bo Bo. The prob is the boogies are side by side without any space between them.

Using such a chassis like the ernie one will mean a lot of engineering because I don t think that the non powered boggie will fit under the motor.

My safest option so far was to get a power boggie like the triang one or old lima. But they are old and still a bit pricy for what they are.

I am thinking about it

thank you again

Luc

Luc,

If you want this to power a Bo Bo locomotive, that suggests you want the locomotive to pull around some stock as well. Keep in mind that this mechanism drives two axles only out of 4 available. That's a pretty poor design for a locomotive, barely OK for underground stock.

Geoff

Luc,

If you want this to power a Bo Bo locomotive, that suggests you want the locomotive to pull around some stock as well. Keep in mind that this mechanism drives two axles only out of 4 available. That's a pretty poor design for a locomotive, barely OK for underground stock.

Geoff

It pulls about ten US cars as "standard", (Central Valley/Kadee trucks), but can't pull my test house brick on delrin trucks, too heavy, but with about 300grms added it will pull it. But it is relying on the traction tyres to do this, and they would wear quickly if used with such heavy trains. The brick is equivalent to about 30 boxcars, but without the friction of the bogies. The gears would be all right, but the top worm would wear the first gear as the pivot does not turn the worm gear, relying on slack.

It would suit light use, it matches the 44 tonner type in size, and pulls about the same as Bachmann's model with smaller dual motors. The later 44 tonner works better, the early suffered from split gears, from the usual moulding standards being too low.

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2010 at 18:48, bertiedog said:

post-6750-127256240599.jpg

The chassis with sideframes, push on, the pickups are split frame, and all wheel pickup, but to work well it needs weight added. The traction tyre is on the inner pair of the power car. The design is a little odd, the gear remains fixed as the bogie pivots, so the worm contact is slack by design.

post-6750-12725623954.jpg

BE WARNED, there is a very tiny plastic drive shaft between the the motor and gearbox, easily lost if the motor is removed. It is not possible to have a dual drive with the original motor, there is no shaft at other end as you can see in shots.

To dual drive the chassis, it would need a second unit, and a dual shaft Mashima to make it work. The gears are Nylon, with a brass worm. They seem accurate and are not forced on to steel axles, so should not split.

post-6750-12725623887.jpg

The shot shows the drive shaft, I don't think it worth dropping the traction tyre, it works fine with weight. The fitted motor is quiet and powerful, a three pole standard design. The Chassis is DCC ready.

It is quite quiet and smooth, and powerful when weight is added above the power bogie. The whole design is totally different to the UE inspection chassis, every detail is different.

Stephen.

Old thread I know but very useful info as I’m finally thinking of doing something with my three units if I can work out what. Bertiedog - How did you get the block off from over the powered bogie that has the eyes/eye swivel mechanism? They are on the Hammersmith and City, which I’ve partly taken to bits and IIRC from memory also on the Circle units (boxed and in store so inaccessible tonight).

When I bought these bogie units in the big sell off I hadn’t realised they weren’t the same power units as the inspection truck. 

Edited by john new
Spelling

• 1 year later...
On 19/10/2019 at 21:04, john new said:

Old thread I know but very useful info as I’m finally thinking of doing something with my three units if I can work out what. Bertiedog - How did you get the block off from over the powered bogie that has the eyes/eye swivel mechanism? They are on the Hammersmith and City, which I’ve partly taken to bits and IIRC from memory also on the Circle units (boxed and in store so inaccessible tonight).

When I bought these bogie units in the big sell off I hadn’t realised they weren’t the same power units as the inspection truck. 

Sorry to resurrect this after another fairly long break, but did you ever find out how to remove the eye mechanism? I think that's the last piece I have to remove, having finally spotted the screw hidden under a mass of wires that was holding the decoder pcb in place.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Sorry to resurrect this after another fairly long break, but did you ever find out how to remove the eye mechanism? I think that's the last piece I have to remove, having finally spotted the screw hidden under a mass of wires that was holding the decoder pcb in place.

Sadly project put on hold. Not touched these units recently as I am working on a shunting plank.

• Like 1

climaxErniechassis.jpg.b048d291292acba2789488a6f0e65c50.jpg

I thoroughly recommend the Underground Ernie chassis, I shortened one as much as I could and fitted a home made plasticard body on top to produce a Climax style logging loco. Which was a type of gear driven Bo-Bo steam powered machine. My model has as much lead shot over the driven bogie as I could fit in. It is a nice slow runner and controllable.

She can propel several wagons up the slope to the coal drops very easily.

5 out of 5 for Ernie.

climaxerniwagonslopeA.jpg.a00d3c3e79ed7f2423a6ee596df61f2d.jpg

Non powered end next to the wagon, looks like the coal merchant has a load of coal delivered in a hired wagon from Stewart and Lloyds.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2022 at 16:56, Wolf27 said:

I’ve just bought this today as it was only £20. No idea what I will do with it though4E53AA39-CB5D-45E6-BC21-FD8A9F40B62A.jpeg.f6fb254cd072b0ade15825e1523e7b75.jpeg

Found this for the bogie stock.

The vital statistics are:

Bogie wheelbase: 24mm
Wheel diameter: 10.5mm
Bogie centres: 69mm

Still looking for Ernie1 stats....

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2022 at 15:10, newbryford said:

Hi all, does anyone have Ernie1, the inspection vehicle to hand? If so, is it possible to measure the wheelbase in mm please. 

Ta.

I’ve got one somewhere, if I can remember where I’ll measure it up!

I’ve got plans to turn it into one of those  remote control gurneys they have at etches park on the wheel lathe or at Donnington for moving units around

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Is it possible to remove the chassis from the body? If I was doing something similar, I'd try and make a freelance DMU or prototype HST.

Yes, with patience. There are an awful lot of screws holding on the body and eye mechanism. (I have the number 16 in my head, but it might be less... or maybe even more!)

• 1 month later...