Jump to content

Rails announce SECR box van in OO


AY Mod
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Whereabouts on the southern network were these seen, away from the former SECR lines? 

 

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

Ordinary, non-specialised wagons were pooled during and after the Great War, so assuming these ordinary vans were in the pool, they could appear anywhere in mainland Britain. Certainly later SECR stock - particularly that built post-Great War - seems to turn up in 1920s photos in all sorts of remote places, e.g. on the Cambrian and Highland. 

 

Once pooled - WW1 onwards - any common user wagon could be seen anywhere; it's a common solecism, for instance, to see 1930s GW layouts with GW wagons predominating; logically there would always be more LNER wagons as they were the biggest contributor to the pool.

 

Some wagons might be reserved for special traffic. For instance, according to An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Vol.3, at least one of these was reserved for paper traffic in the '30s. 

 

With a life span of 1904-1956, I expect it parallels the careers of many suitable locos. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

 

 

Most likely using the equipment purchased a couple of years ago?

 

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/2017-Archive?post_id=44

 

 

That refers to injection moulding equipment, which doesn't quite square with this sentence -

 

On 18/04/2019 at 08:46, AY Mod said:

•     A build process using the very latest light technology and is infinitely flexible for making all variants.

 

Maybe someone can find out more at York.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I spent ages scratch building one of those......

 

I'd be interested to see a photo of one in BR grey. I thought they ended their lives still in SR brown.

Do you have BR-period photos? It would be useful to see them.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We - Edwardian and I - think that the five vans of this type surviving nationalisation were allocated to newsprint traffic on the SE section, but we have this confirmed only one one of them. We think the the vans we allocated this flow c.1938 and BR kept the allocation. We don't know whether the vans stayed on this traffic until scrapping or whether they were rotated back into the general pool. There are body-side fittings to secure a wagon sheet, to make absolutely sure that no rain can get in even if the roof canvas is imperfect. This fits with a specific, water-adverse load.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

It wasn't a numerous type anyway, so you'd be unlikely to see squadrons of them together even on their home turf. 

 

True, there were significantly more numerous designs of pre-Grouping wagons around - we're talking tens of thousands here, not hundreds - which survived in moderate numbers into the 1950s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Nile said:

 

I think this all points to Dapol having acquired a fancy new 3D printer. It opens the possibility for more commissions. Interesting times.

 

Yes... There is something really grainy about the finish in the photos. I would guess its an SLS printer. Maybe an HP Jet Fusion, but they say the plastic is PU so I'm not really certain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

I believe there was alterations to the brakes. I think they had an earlier type of brake on one side only when built.

 

More like the LCDR version.

 

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/158/4f01-lcdr-8-ton-goods-van/

 

 

 

Jason

Specifically, these vans were built with Hill's patent either-side brakes which are quite a bit more complex than the single-shoe brake on the LCDR stock.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

logically there would always be more LNER wagons as they were the biggest contributor to the pool.

 

I hope I will be forgiven a moment of marginally off-topic pedantry. This statement gets repeated sufficiently frequently that I suppose it must have appeared in print from some well-known author. Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, gives numbers of wagons contributed to the pool by the big four at various dates from 1922 to 1946. The LMS share was consistently around 43%, LNER 39%, GWR 13%, and SR 5%. The total number of wagons in the pool was only a little bit more than the total number of private owner wagons.

 

Of course for a particular location, local factors come into play.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

I hope I will be forgiven a moment of marginally off-topic pedantry. This statement gets repeated sufficiently frequently that I suppose it must have appeared in print from some well-known author. Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, gives numbers of wagons contributed to the pool by the big four at various dates from 1922 to 1946. The LMS share was consistently around 43%, LNER 39%, GWR 13%, and SR 5%. The total number of wagons in the pool was only a little bit more than the total number of private owner wagons.

 

Of course for a particular location, local factors come into play.

 

Damn, I knew it was one of the two! I stand corrected - more LMS wagons!

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

 

Is 'PU' polyurethane?

 

Probably. I think details of the production process are still confidential, but having handled a sample I can confirm that vans are printed in a dense, hard resin. It seems  denser than that used at Shapeways or in the Mousa range of kits.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2019 at 08:46, AY Mod said:

AN ALL UK PRODUCED MODEL!

 

P1020063.JPG

 

 

Wow brake safety loops and holes in the bottom lugs of the brake blocks. No wonder it's £28!

 

Though the brake blocks do seem to be a bit proud of the wheels tyres - why don't Rails just go for broke and sell it with EM or P4 wheels...

Edited by Compound2632
EM / P4 humour added.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

Ordinary, non-specialised wagons were pooled during and after the Great War, so assuming these ordinary vans were in the pool, they could appear anywhere in mainland Britain. Certainly later SECR stock - particularly that built post-Great War - seems to turn up in 1920s photos in all sorts of remote places, e.g. on the Cambrian and Highland. 

 

Perhaps not surprising to see them on the Highland. Probably transporting RN supplies from Chatham to Scapa Flow.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, pete_mcfarlane said:

The only photo I've seen is the one in the 'Ashford' series of wagon photos that's in one of the SR wagons books, showing stock in SR brown but with BR numbering. 

Yes, in Bixley+ Illustrated History of Southern Wagons vol 3. That's the justification for the model in brown livery with slightly BR-adjusted letteringjust the S prefix on the number). The assumption is that the SR painted them brown at rebuild c.1938, and BR did the absolute minimum repainting in 1948, just adding the prefix (the one shown in Bixley+ may have had a special repaint, also in brown, for the official photo). Since the five vans lasted into the mid-'50s, they likely got repainted once more, and we expect BR grey livery for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

Perhaps not surprising to see them on the Highland. Probably transporting RN supplies from Chatham to Scapa Flow.

 

Could have originated from anywhere, not necessarily a Southern station. That's the point.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Just now, Compound2632 said:

 

Could have originated from anywhere, not necessarily a Southern station. That's the point.

 

Could have, yes. But I too recall photos with what would seem like a disproportionate quantity of SR constituent wagons. Naval traffic was very significant on the Highland so it seems likely as the reason for SR wagons there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

Since the five vans lasted into the mid-'50s, they likely got repainted once more, and we expect BR grey livery for that.

That's a good point. 

 

Maybe I'm just being a little cynical with RTR model wagons, as it's not the first time one has been produced in an iffy livery....

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

What would one have to do to backdate the vehicle to early 1900's condition. Assuming it would be mostly underframe differences?

 

This

 

Also, IIRC, the earliest ones had shorter springs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...