Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

My reading of Southern Wagons Vol. 3, caption to plate 104, is that the five wagons that survived in traffic with BR did so because they had been allocated since 1933 to a specific traffic - paper between Aylesford and Blackfriars - but that could be a misinterpretation on my part: the literal sense of the text is that the one wagon in the photo was allocated to this traffic in 1933. It could have been put back into general service and the other four survivors might never have been so allocated.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Many thanks to everyone who has ordered and shown interest in the model.

Whilst we wait for some decorated samples, I thought I'd share an image of the CAD design which shows the level of detail the van has.

*snip*

Oliver, will the final version have sprung buffers? I have two on pre-order regardless!

18 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The roof needs to be a smidge longer and a smidge wider.

I'm also not sure where the upper edge of the headstock is.

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Leafing through Southern Wagons Vol. 3, I'd say a smidgeon in each dimension.

It seems to be characteristic of the construction of these vehicles that the upper face of the headstock is at floor height, per the CAD model, though the reference photo for the BR-lettered Southern brown livery (plate 104) is an exception, with the end floor board visible - presumably the headstock had been renewed. 

(1) re the roof; it looks OK to me on the CAD, but I see your point about the roof as seen in the photograph.

(2) I was about to post something similar to Compound; I think everything he said in his post is exactly right.  All I can add is some pictures that illustrate the point and that show the CAD correctly reflects the construction of the wagons.

I don't have a GA, but here is the end view from a livery drawing:

236143126_1424End1.JPG.580db7d23e5d532d08fcfc3c4b0fe7c8.JPG

Compare it to this nice end view 1936 photograph of the earlier SER D1422, to an essentially similar design:

1347624643_1422End.JPG.25fa7e6f7b10be9a515ba91ed0794c97.JPG

Finally, here is a picture of another D1424 (same as the model), if you look to the left of the left-hand stanchion, you can see enough to confirm the height of the headstock.  

1496379591_1424End2.JPG.f0c8e85ab1b1d0940891696af1e74890.JPG

In fact, this seems to be an entirely standard form of construction.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In fact, this seems to be an entirely standard form of construction.

I think it goes back to the earlier designs with the four uprights forming the end framing, flush with the headstock, and the boarding inset (giving a shorter internal length relative to the length over headstock than the later form of construction) - and indeed in common with the construction of similar externally-framed 19th century covered goods wagon designs on, for example, the Midland and LNWR.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Does this wagon have NEM coupler boxes?

2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

The sample I fingered did have these.

I believe the painted samples on the Rails stand had couplings fitted.  The other sample that I saw did not.  I had the presence of mind to photograph the underside.  It has standard Dapol mounts integral to the base.  The Dapol version of the NEM coupling arrangement screws into a hole in the mounting and this gives it the necessary lateral play - an essential, if sometimes overlooked, factor. 

210362487_York3-Copy.JPG.82c652f1290a889f302a005d201532df.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Very few British wagons have the "swinging link" arrangement common on European stock, which makes it impossible to fit some types of coupling. However tension-locks and Kadees—which aren't sufficiently rigid to work well with the swinging link arrangement—are the types most likely to be used in the U.K.

Pesonally, I find the Dapol arrangement works well, better than the almost rigid style favoured by Bachmann and Hornby, especially on longer wagons.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/04/2019 at 16:46, CarriageShed said:

Thank goodness you're not producing a shrink-rayed version for us underprivileged N gauge modellers of the Southern, otherwise I'd have to buy at least two or three...

And me

• Agree 1

I would be interesting to know more about how and who is actually manufacturing the model. There is no mention of Dapol in the RM news page, and I would not be surprised to see prices going up in the future. Quite often when new technology comes along, costs are guessed at but later have to be adjusted to be sustainable. The world of 3D printing is developing so fast that there is no chance for it to settling down to allow prices to even out .

4 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I would be interesting to know more about how and who is actually manufacturing the model.

It took me about 5 seconds to guess who the manufacturer was (from clues early in the thread), and I did offer my guess in a post. The post was removed within minutes, which confirmed my guess was spot-on.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I would be interesting to know more about how and who is actually manufacturing the model. There is no mention of Dapol in the RM news page,

Dapol is mentioned in the very first post in this topic:

Rails of Sheffield in partnership with Dapol have announced that they will produce an OO gauge model of the BR (ex-SE&CR) Diagram 1424 Box Van

I think they are implying that Dapol are having them 3D printed by a third party as I don't think that Dapol do 3D printed models themselves.

It's not like it's been printed on one of those printers that you can build if you collect 120 fortnightly magazines. :jester:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

19 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I would be interesting to know more about how and who is actually manufacturing the model. There is no mention of Dapol in the RM news page, and I would not be surprised to see prices going up in the future. Quite often when new technology comes along, costs are guessed at but later have to be adjusted to be sustainable. The world of 3D printing is developing so fast that there is no chance for it to settling down to allow prices to even out .

Maybe the Coopercraft saga with the moulding machine not working properly is now over? Has he got an even better machine?

Stewart

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...

Asked Rails today how things were going with this wagon and had a reply :)

Hi Gareth. Things are moving along nicely. We should hopefully have updated images shortly and further updates on delivery to follow.

Cheers Rails :)

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

UPDATE

Final checks have been made and production is due to begin early next week. If all goes as expected then we expect the vans to be completed and ready to despatch late June / early July 2019!

Low numbers remain to pre-order. We have less than 20 pieces (total) left to sell. The order book will close very soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4