Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

Meanwhile back in the workshop..

 

With appalling weather out of the way, I had my delivery of building materials from Wickes on Monday morning.

 

I took advantage of the good weather to lay the 8' x 2' T&G Flooring chipboard, I'm using for the subfloor.

 

workshop_16.jpg.b0e5779272f281c118af4e99375cb004.jpg

 

workshop_17.jpg.8aeb85457362f77a6cc5b12f4da6c7fe.jpg

 

Today I got on with building the partition wall framing (for the shed part)..

 

workshop_18.jpg.419de5ff82d8e1186d447346d83b5a4d.jpg

 

workshop_19.jpg.5da06af33bdb918331e9c536005dfa9c.jpg

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Meanwhile back in the workshop..

 

With appalling weather out of the way, I had my delivery of building materials from Wickes on Monday morning.

 

I took advantage of the good weather to lay the 8' x 2' T&G Flooring chipboard, I'm using for the subfloor.

 

workshop_16.jpg.b0e5779272f281c118af4e99375cb004.jpg

 

workshop_17.jpg.8aeb85457362f77a6cc5b12f4da6c7fe.jpg

 

Today I got on with building the partition wall framing (for the shed part)..

 

workshop_18.jpg.419de5ff82d8e1186d447346d83b5a4d.jpg

 

workshop_19.jpg.5da06af33bdb918331e9c536005dfa9c.jpg

 

 

 

Its a bit relentlessly 1:1.  When are you going to weather it?  :jester:

 

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2020 at 14:54, Hroth said:

 

Its a bit relentlessly 1:1.  When are you going to weather it?  :jester:

 

 

Once the treated timber has stopped off gassing noxious fumes - I've decided to go for 60's BR Grey (Ronseal Fence Life Plus Matt Slate Grey), got the paint this morning ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

So after working myself to the point of exhaustion on Wednesday, I got the partition wall finished and the shed side completely panelled.

 

workshop_20.jpg.d4b8df4e4ca6799447790c2d4c5a4466.jpg

 

Workbench side of the workshop

 

 

workshop_21.jpg.ad8d6c5030695d01ad8b91d56cc87872.jpg

 

There's even a bench in the shed/storage side

 

 

workshop_22.jpg.b5736641aeb8067d5128b62b961aff5d.jpg

 

The side were the spray booth will go - the internal framing of the workshop side panel is out of square (not my framing lol)

 

workshop_23.jpg.6fe5e8eb15ad85f32da590e829721d78.jpg

 

Panelling complete.

 

I've got the chipboard for the bench and the shelving to finishing off the the storage area.

 

The doors for the storage area (and a new back gate) arrive on Monday and the insulation will arrive next week as well.

 

There has been some railway commission work to that's been going on, but I'd jump the queue to the Naughty Sofa, if I show it ;) 

 

I've also been experimenting with Lacquer Primer on the Tiffy - I'm suitably impressed.

 

typhoon48_18.jpg.7e8334ebd641b8cf1abc0428a234691c.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

 

Someone asked me where the bar and fridge is going lol

When is the grand opening banquet going to be held?  (Only 6 people at a time presumably). :smile_mini:

Edited by railroadbill
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, railroadbill said:

When is the grand opening banquet going to be held?  (Only 6 people at a time presumably). :smile_mini:

 

8, as two will be fed to the piranha's en-route as a sacrifice :butcher:

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2020 at 19:24, toboldlygo said:

So after working myself to the point of exhaustion on Wednesday, I got the partition wall finished and the shed side completely panelled.

 

workshop_20.jpg.d4b8df4e4ca6799447790c2d4c5a4466.jpg

 

Workbench side of the workshop

 

 

workshop_21.jpg.ad8d6c5030695d01ad8b91d56cc87872.jpg

 

There's even a bench in the shed/storage side

 

 

workshop_22.jpg.b5736641aeb8067d5128b62b961aff5d.jpg

 

The side were the spray booth will go - the internal framing of the workshop side panel is out of square (not my framing lol)

 

workshop_23.jpg.6fe5e8eb15ad85f32da590e829721d78.jpg

 

Panelling complete.

 

I've got the chipboard for the bench and the shelving to finishing off the the storage area.

 

The doors for the storage area (and a new back gate) arrive on Monday and the insulation will arrive next week as well.

 

There has been some railway commission work to that's been going on, but I'd jump the queue to the Naughty Sofa, if I show it ;) 

 

I've also been experimenting with Lacquer Primer on the Tiffy - I'm suitably impressed.

 

typhoon48_18.jpg.7e8334ebd641b8cf1abc0428a234691c.jpg

 

Which laqcuer primer is it please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2020 at 19:25, toboldlygo said:

 

Why are you going to buy it for me?

 

 

How much ???  That looks like a glorified cooker hood fan, stood on its side with a few bits of plastic glued around it to make the hood !  :bye_mini:

 

You can get a extractor (cooker hood) off Ebay for under a hundred and glue your own plastic on, 3 speed extraction, built in filter and light :good_mini:

Edited by Mattc6911
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mattc6911 said:

 

 

How much ???  That looks like a glorified cooker hood fan, stood on its side with a few bits of plastic glued around it to make the hood !  :bye_mini:

 

You can get a extractor (cooker hood) off Ebay for under a hundred and glue your own plastic on, 3 speed extraction, built in filter and light :good_mini:

 

That was an inside joke with one of my clients - Mr S ;)

 

You could convert a cooker hood, if you were just spraying water-based paints, but I wouldn't trust it with Lacquers. Besides there are cheaper spray booths, that will do the job and those plastic bits tender to end up in the spares bin ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

So it's been a busy 7 days...

 

Storage area part of the Workshop is finished and I've started on the insulation (and built a new back gate)…

 

 

workshop_24.jpg.d3c6e7b2b8521f386158b39b790428b0.jpg

 

 

workshop_25.jpg.7b5b9f0ebabbc3830749d3a6928ce534.jpg

 

 

workshop_26.jpg.5c13276d32a986772a2b7acd33df5cfe.jpg

 

 

The GWR Engine Shed is finished and with it's owner and the final part of the blog for it is up.

 

 

engineShed_79.jpg.af8997c2d0a9c31f03fd52a5eb0101e4.jpg

 

 

And somewhere during the week, I managed to get a Modified Hall finished.

 

 

6976_02.jpg.cf42dfe4bb06429053bdb4000dca08f4.jpg

 

 

6976_06.jpg.e7e929b6cb71ad6f80b5fa3fed1cd65e.jpg

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Has that modified Hall had the Brassmaster front end etch fitted James.

 

So is it a modified Modified Hall? No, it's the Replica one with traction tyres.

 

The only mods I carried out are screw-link couplings, adding a fall plate, reduction in the gap between the tender & engine, adding a Modelu crew and etched plates (which required some major surgery).

 

Oh and some subtle weathering.

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

 

So is it a modified Modified Hall? No, it's the Replica one with traction tyres.

 

The only mods I carried out are screw-link couplings, adding a fall plate, reduction in the gap between the tender & engine, adding a Modelu crew and etched plates (which required some major surgery).

 

Oh and some subtle weathering.

The Replica body is pretty good. I've got three, all now running on Bachmann split-frame chassis (for the time being...).

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's been a while since my last update, so here goes..

 

The Workshop, there's been some progress, however last Monday I managed to injure my upper back, so I've had to take it relatively easy.

 

The insulation is all done..

 

workshop_28.jpg.d8b3f4f60c46a9d3bd7acd1e015a8a1e.jpg

 

 

workshop_29.jpg.340838428a26260666fa3bd0a83804b9.jpg

 

And as of this morning I've got a minimum of 1 coat of paint on the outside (the front's had a second coat).

 

workshop_27.jpg.e3399e8ad93d7f81a8cecb88b0805504.jpg

 

I may start the ceiling cladding this afternoon, as I have a huge order coming from Wickes tomorrow to for the workshop (plasterboard, guttering & more cladding) - just in time for lockdown 2.

 

Railway commissions, I've been fitting those in - I'm currently working on half a dozen coaches.

 

Improving a B-Set, I added lamp brackets to the outer ends, hand painted all the droplights and axle-box covers - then the coaches will be weathered. However I'm just waiting on a replacement allocation decal for one of the ends (as yet again Railtec decals have disintegrated on me).

 

b-set_02.jpg.bde624cd733a772362a1c42680122564.jpg

 

Improving a Hornby Auto Coach, painted the interior - not a particularly easy job, as the interior is part of the body moulding. Added lamp brackets and resprayed the roof.

 

autocaoch_01.jpg.46350e7e8f6c79b768339555f0a7ef86.jpg

 

autocaoch_02.jpg.c62057179d7852c9f4cef43f427ac35e.jpg

 

The other 3 are all masked up ready for their roof's to be resprayed, oh and I've added destination board brackets to one of them as well ;) 

 

Completed a number of commission's mostly for @gwrrob - including a certain WD 2-8-0.

 

77294_01.jpg.6b64c4015e617bcd384cc4257628dc3f.jpg

 

77294_05.jpg.be72265e1d6d5c3143b350b184244c3d.jpg

 

And a third Skytrex Water crane for another client.

 

crane3_02.jpg.d98ff2c6b65b3d7b5c599db275ef4b59.jpg

 

Other projects

 

Eduard 1/48th Scale Hawker Typhoon, I do bits on it when I have a quiet few minutes. It's now to the stage were exterior paint is being added.

 

typhoon48_23.jpg.3c3cb4b04d70cac0722e55d924cb7aa2.jpg

 

 

typhoon48_24.jpg.0e197a37c4a52d1cf8deb40ddebbb2fe.jpg

 

I'm also working on a little ship..

 

Abercrombie_14.jpg.1fbe15aae3dce27ae6f8b5c1a1c9c411.jpg

 

There's also been a few new arrivals for the stash

 

Ho229_01.jpg.e1ec523bf4d1dcccb0d48a0276fe40e1.jpg

 

 

T35_85_01.jpg.b3a18ec9520ede9c7f0424998145750f.jpg

 

 

Next update won't be too long.

 

  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you've taken my "weathering" comment a while ago to heart, the shed looks almost exactly the same colour as the WD 2-8-0...

 

The ship looks like some sort of Monitor.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I see you've taken my "weathering" comment a while ago to heart, the shed looks almost exactly the same colour as the WD 2-8-0...

 

The ship looks like some sort of Monitor.

 

 

@gwrrob will have you sent to the naughty sofa for that remark ;) 

 

Yes it's a Monitor, but what class?

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

 

@gwrrob will have you sent to the naughty sofa for that remark ;) 

 

Yes it's a Monitor, but what class?

Now here it get's interesting, because the model depicted was named after a British general who had a class of monitors named after him, but not this class. There is however a relationship (NPI) with some ships of the class of monitors build after the first mentioned class, as in that the guns that were used on some ships of that class came from a ship that didn't use the guns that were later used on the monitor that the model is going to depict. But the class itself was named after yet another British army bigwig  affectionately called "Bobs". So Bob's your uncle.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Trains&armour said:

 So Bob's your uncle.

 

How did you know I have an Uncle Bob?

 

Have you been planting listening devices in Robin's commissions?

 

It's Applecrumble not Roberts btw ;) :P 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

 

How did you know I have an Uncle Bob?

 

Have you been planting listening devices in Robin's commissions?

 

It's Applecrumble not Roberts btw ;) :P 

 

So its a 16" monitor then?  :jester:

 

(ok, so its got two 16" bang-sticks, but that would make my reply too cumbersome...)

 

As for the colour, I can't help it if you ran out of paint for the WD.  However, you could use the same colour for the Monitor!!!

 

Saunters off, looking innocent...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

 

As for the colour, I can't help it if you ran out of paint for the WD.  However, you could use the same colour for the Monitor!!!

 

Saunters off, looking innocent...

 

Guilty as hell more like  ;) 

 

No the Monitor is multi coloured..

 

Abercrombie_03.jpg.94b87fc73433df7ce8424ce91403e0bb.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.