MRJ 271

Blue Max

Picked up a copy on Tuesday (Smiths at Bristol TM) and there were copies in IA in Brum that day too.

Another cracking issue, not much in my scale/area of interests, but plenty of excellent modelling on show to inspire. Those Midland signal boxes are exquisite... and tiny!

Andrew

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:50, NHY 581 said:

I must say this issue was a corker. 

For myself, based purely on my own interests, Surrey Arms was THE article to return to. A nice layout and as alluded to above, a fine demonstration of making a small space seem a lot bigger.

However,  Jerry's signal boxes are a tremendous example of the finest of finescale modelling. I now have an urge to build a Midland signal box. Truth be known, one was always going to be needed for a future Midland layout set in Bristol but Jerry's article may have prompted an earlier look than planned..............

I was wondering what to do next.

Inspired by Surrey Arms, prompted by Jerry...............Ramsbottom Down seems quite likely now.......

Top stuff.

Rob.

I seem to recall a while ago there may have been a potential dabble in 7mm. May this be it...?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tricky said:

I seem to recall a while ago there may have been a potential dabble in 7mm. May this be it...?

Not for the time being Richard. Probably do something following the arrival of the Dapol 14xx but for now 4mm remains the weapon of choice.  

Two projects remain really. The terminus at Lamb Regis and an ex Midland station in Bristol as alluded to above, Ramsbottom Down........

That should keep me going.........but a 7mm ex GWR backwater would be an attractive project all the same.....all a bit 1400 and milk tankers.........Lambstock sounds good...

Rob. 

• Like 1

There seems to be quite a time lapse between those receiving their copy by subscription and those of us who put business the way of the local village shop. I feel it is very important to keep this lifeline alive. A very good read, by the way. I particularly liked both South Pelaw and Surrey Arms.

Stephen

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/05/2019 at 20:46, Porcy Mane said:

Expo EM Autumn with fair winds and following seas and the added bonus of Black Cherry crumble by the Crocodile Sisters.

P

Other interesting attractions will also be available...........................:rolleyes:

Will it definitely be Black Cherry Crumble??!:yahoo_mini:

On 25/06/2019 at 16:13, 5050 said:

Other interesting attractions will also be available...........................:rolleyes:

A chance meeting of the old crocks with some of the Crock sisters  on Westgate come Saradda neet is a distinct possibility.

On 25/06/2019 at 16:13, 5050 said:

Will it definitely be Black Cherry Crumble??!:yahoo_mini:

Hopefully after the uddersfield experience.

18 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

But Expo is going to be a bit of a challenge by public transport. Nearly fours on the train and then a bus to track down.

Jonathan

The buses run every 10 minutes from the bus station (5-10 minute walk from railway station at most) and will drop you of outside the venue.  Wakefield bus station is a big modern one and overhead displays show the departures etc.  I must admit that getting from Newtown by train will not be easy.  However, is there anyone locally that you could share transport with?

• RMweb Premium

I have been to Wakefield before for Scalefour North. It is a bit long but only one change at Birmingham NS. Thanks for the info on buses. I am sure i shall get there, but not as early as in the past when I spent the night before hand at Altrincham. 

Anyway, only a couple of weeks before our next dose of MRJ.

Jonathan

On 30/06/2019 at 09:04, Enterprisingwestern said:

Easy peasy, you should try starting from Alicante!

Mike.

An aeroplane and two bus rides, what's yer problem? :jester:

You should try doing it from my place by Arriva Cross-Country on a Sunday.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

You should try doing it from my place by Arriva Cross-Country on a Sunday.

Apart from major conurbations, travelling anywhere in the UK by public transport on a Sunday can be a nightmare. Only fair though that Bus/train drivers (including Easyjet & Ryanair tube aimers) deserve a day off.

9 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Apart from major conurbations, travelling anywhere in the UK by public transport on a Sunday can be a nightmare. Only fair though that Bus/train drivers (including Easyjet & Ryanair tube aimers) deserve a day off.

I added Sunday as an afterthought, but going anywhere at anytime by Arriva Cross-Country is sadly not a pleasant experience.

• Agree 4