'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Yes, but given only 6 miles of the Met is underground, and the mainline used to be over 40 miles long there would be plenty of daylight for the guards. I think Met coaches tended to have small windows on the ends of the brake coaches.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

Yes, but given only 6 miles of the Met is underground, and the mainline used to be over 40 miles long there would be plenty of daylight for the guards. I think Met coaches tended to have small windows on the ends of the brake coaches.

Actually they had a couple of fanlights in the roof over the luggage compartments. The guards compartment was in the centre and was fitted with duckets and not much more than five feet wide, the width of the door and ducket combined so there was no room for any extra windows anyway.

14 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I suppose daylight was something of a notional concept on the steam-worked Circle anyway.... If there's not much to let in, why bother?

That was the thinking that led to the original City & South London Railway carriages... very small, high level windows. They became known as "Padded cells". Turns out people like seeing out, even if all they can see is tunnel wall and occasional stations!
image.png.8c1adc77949adcec7fb4f6f3c9bf9852.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually they had a couple of fanlights in the roof over the luggage compartments. The guards compartment was in the centre and was fitted with duckets and not much more than five feet wide, the width of the door and ducket combined so there was no room for any extra windows anyway.

Depends which stock we're talking about. ;)

I was thinking about Ashburys and Dreadnoughts'.

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

That was the thinking that led to the original City & South London Railway carriages... very small, high level windows. They became known as "Padded cells". Turns out people like seeing out, even if all they can see is tunnel wall and occasional stations!

Plus the practical purpose of seeing station names/tile patterns!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Plus the practical purpose of seeing station names/tile patterns!

They solved that in Japan by using tunes.

Each station has its own melody played on the tannoy.

Took me 3 days to realise this, by which time I knew when snoozing, when jt was my turn to get off. You can even buy them as chimes on a key ring if you like.

Its an excellant aid for the blind, they can connect stations by tunes outside the hubris of station noise.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Yes, but since when did the public ever listen to announcements?! :jester:

I'm always surprised that the gate stock persisted for as long as it did, given the high staffing requirement.

Back in the day people paid more attention to announcements. Until reliable automatic doors came along in the 1920's there was no alternative to manually operated gates, and at that time labour was plentiful and cheap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Its time for the next set of Genesis coach colour layouts with today's covering the London and North Western Railway vehicles.

These are to be produced in the fully ornate Plum and Split Milk livery. (We're aware that the name (either Spilt or Split Milk) can divide opinion :) )

Colour layouts for all vehicles can be viewed and pre-orders placed via the link below:

Hattons Genesis Coaches - LNWR livery colour layouts

As always, please let me know what you think either here on via Disqus on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-46Pack-301_RMweb.jpg.ad419c4128b02253b89b9a6d92db4265.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Just a shout out for the SR versions, they look great! A couple of brakes and a tool van will come in useful for military and department operations. =) 

Hi GreenGiraffe22,

Thanks for the feedback!

We haven't produced the approved artwork for the departmental SR version yet, but we'll be showing it here once its ready. In the meantime, check out the page below:

A full list of all the models across all liveries can be found via the link below:

Hattons Genesis coaches - List of all variations

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Today we're showing the approved colour layouts for the LNER pre-war brown livery.

Colour layouts for all vehicles can be viewed and pre-orders placed via the link below:

Hattons Genesis Coaches - LNER livery

As always, please let me know what you think either here on via Disqus on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-46Pack-601_RMweb.jpg.570ced45de03d4fdce46a588efdc33f7.jpg

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi GreenGiraffe22,

Thanks for the feedback!

We haven't produced the approved artwork for the departmental SR version yet, but we'll be showing it here once its ready. In the meantime, check out the page below:

A full list of all the models across all liveries can be found via the link below:

Hattons Genesis coaches - List of all variations

Cheers,

Dave

Most SR service stock was painted grey as per these two pictures.

You may want to consider this as an alternative that would go perfectly with the 45 ton crane.

service 1.jpg

service 2.jpg

• Like 6

Every time I see the thread I find it strange that Hattons have chosen to use Genesis as the brand name, when Athearn already use it. I know the two are unlikely to be confused, but it’s not like the model railway world has used all the brand names up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In some ways though Genesis is more appropriate to early stock that the high level detail range Athearn uses the name for ;) 

I doubt Athearn will do an apple / McDonalds and claim they invented the name though :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I doubt Athearn will do an apple / McDonalds and claim they invented the name though :lol:

Not unless they also want to take on the publishers for the first half of a rather heavily sold book. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

6 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Not unless they also want to take on the publishers for the first half of a rather heavily sold book. ;)

Not to mention Phil 'the drums, the drums' Collins and his progpals.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

In some ways though Genesis is more appropriate to early stock that the high level detail range Athearn uses the name for ;) 

IIRC Apple Computers had a cease and desist notice as regards music from Apple Corps (the Beatles' music/record company), so they don't always win.

When Apple Corps finally decided to stop using the brand they sold Apple Computing the rights. Hence we now have Apple Music.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Today we're showing the approved colour layouts for the Genesis coaches in LMS crimson lake.

These will carry the initial 'Period I' livery and also show the smoking signs added following feedback. Appropriate smoking signage for each livery will be added to the coaches and we'll be showing the revised colour layouts in due course.

GenesisLMSSmoking-RMweb.jpg.3cc48ef9c912c4af5252c43cc016cf8b.jpg

Hattons Genesis Coaches - LMS crimson lake

Cheers,

Dave

H4-46Pack-501_RMweb.jpg.41619037dcc46185898d3773f3ad171d.jpg

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For LMS fully lined livery (and Midland livery) there should be no yellow line around the bolection moulding of the fixed windows; the bolections themselves should be varnished wood, or on old carriages, perhaps painted mahogany brown. 

See LMS Carriage Association here - not sure about the yellow bolection moldings! Or for Midland livery, which is identical in this respect, the NRM's 6-wheel centre-luggage composite here.

On pre-Grouping stock with panelled ends, the LMS continued the Midland practice of lining the beading black.

I think the yellow lining should be a bit wider. It was 3/8" wide (0.125 mm) which is one-quarter of the 1 1/2" beading width but it was edged with a 1/16" vermillion line each side. The result is that on plain beading, the black is also only 3/8" wide. Obviously trying to represent the vermillion lines at this scale isn't to be expected but if the yellow is made wider and the black narrower, one can get closer to the effect. If you can find some photos of Larry Goddard's fully-lined 4 mm scale Midland and LMS coaches, you'll see how the master does it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I don't know enough about LMS livery to comment, although clearly someone that does has.

but is that gap in the footboard of the four wheeler to be expected on the final model??

Gary

I think its a six wheeler and there should be a wheel there.

• Like 1