'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Stephen,

......................or heaven forbid that someone might actually do some modelling by repainting them into what they might require.

Gibbo.

Well, yes, but I think the principal attraction of these models is the high standard of the decoration. If one has the skill to repaint them into an alternative, equally elaborate, livery, one probably has the skill to build more accurate models of one's particular prototype.

• Agree 12

One may have the skill, but whether one considers that the time is available to both build and to decorate is another question. Depending on individual levels of pedantry, the overall number of models that one wishes to acquire or build, and the amount by which the generics differ from the actual items that are ideally wanted, some, including me, might decide that the a generic 6 wheeler (with or without custom mods) partly or fully repainted suits as a sufficiently representative time-saving model of a particular type of carriage.

Edited by gr.king
Spelling mistake!
  • Like 5

Had a quick look, but 79 pages .... and tried a search to no avail. Question - what are the prospects for re-wheeling these to P4 or EM? I ask for myself, but also speculate that quite a few modellers in those gauges may have an interest in the period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodbine said:

Had a quick look, but 79 pages .... and tried a search to no avail. Question - what are the prospects for re-wheeling these to P4 or EM? I ask for myself, but also speculate that quite a few modellers in those gauges may have an interest in the period.

A P4 modeller who would like a generic coach.

You must be an EM modeller, surely :D

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

15 hours ago, IWCR said:

Following on from earlier post re IOW carriages.

Yes most of the SR era imports were LCDR many of which were originally Mainline six wheelers converted into 4 wheel Suburban stock around 10 years prior to transfer.

However there were five sets of LBSCR vehicles (2 Stroudley, 3 Billington), these had all been built as Suburban 4 wheelers.

The only 6 wheel passenger stock running was 2 ex Bembridge Line carriages which had been converted to full brakes during IWR days, these were withdrawn mid 20's.

Pete

Thanks IWCR.

Which company bought the LBSCR stock ? I suspect the IWCR.

I forgot the Bembridge ones, which I think were bankrupt stock, from the Golden Valley Railway up north. Strange vehicles with the W irons mounted on the outside of the solebars, or at least the centre ones were . I recall that I have book with an aerial picture of Bembridge Station showing the train with these coaches and the Manning Wardle 0-6-0 called Bembridge which was called up for service during the first World War. The loco did return to this country after the conflict, but did not return to the IOW.

Those coaches would make a nice model. Thanks for reminding me.

Now was that two six wheelers and a four wheeled luggage break ? Seem to recall open galleries at the coach ends as well.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

The LBSC sets were early Southern imports, the IWC had some early Brighton vehicles but these had gone by grouping.  Yes the Bemridge vehicles were as described, they were built by Oldbury for the Golden Valley Railway, repossessed following a failure to actually pay for them then offered to the IWR.

One of the 6 wheeler bodies was grounded at Totland and the Brake at St Helens, both now long gone,

Let me know when your are visiting, you will find me in C&W.

Pete

• Like 2

Like many following this thread,  I registered my interest in various liveried versions soon after they were announced.  Ok so now the models are getting closer to being available and certainly impress me, I have at last placed a firm preorder.  

After running problems over the years with various 6 wheelers (Stove R, Palethorpes etc) I decided my first purchase would be a Southern  green 6 wheeled full brake. My thinking is that  this model would look good with various LSWR and SR coaches in my collection. if this model runs well I will proceed to order a couple of the 4 vehicle sets in various Southern liveries.  if it does not I will try an individual 4 wheeler.  

What are others doing? Preordering individual models or going for the better value sets? Am I being unduly cautious about running problems with 6 wheelers? Interested to hear views now delivery is getting closer. 

regards

Barry. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, barrymx5 said:

What are others doing? Preordering individual models or going for the better value sets? Am I being unduly cautious about running problems with 6 wheelers? Interested to hear views now delivery is getting closer. 

Barry,

I decided to pre-order 25+ of these coaches (in various southern-based liveries) and so I went for the packs to save money. Normally, I am cautious but, as £36 per coach with lighting is a lot cheaper than Bachmann's birdcage coaches without it, I decided that I didn't want to risk them selling out (or the price to rise in the New Year). Personally, I am sure they will be better than the Stove-R (which I bought bought somewhat ambivalently). If the middle axis of the 6-wheeler coaches is problematic, so be it - they will at least look superb on display in a siding. Also, I admit that I didn't order all at once, having added to my original order twice as I have seen CAD and livery developments. 

Just my personal view - other's may take a wait and see approach.

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyKarl
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 19/08/2020 at 13:10, Wickham Green too said:

I think the choice for populating coaches is underscale people from the Continent or heavy metal ones from the UK aftermarket ! ........... neither option's cheap.

On 19/08/2020 at 15:02, MarkSG said:

Given that passengers inside a coach are only going to be partly visible, you might as well get a job lot of cheap ones from eBay - especially if you're going to have to repaint them anyway to make them appear a bit more Edwardian. They're not as detailed as those from the likes of Noch or Preiser, but inside the glazing most people will barely notice. Something like this would probably be a useful starting point.

Might I also suggest Dart Castings' passengers:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/PP1.php

They appear to be off-casts of Monty's Models, but quite a bargain at only 8 of your Great British drinking tokens for 14 bums (my experience, n=3, is 15).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 13:37, That Model Railway Guy said:

Just saw that Hattons have added the LB&SCR livery artwork to one of their 3D renders. Gives a very good impression of what the finished model will look like. You can see it here: 

Apologies, I didn't have chance to share this properly here on Friday so for anyone who's missed it, please take a look at the link below.

Hattons Genesis coach - LBSCR colour render

As with all the other renders we've shown so far, you can view the coach from any angle you wish without any additional software.

Keep an eye on our site as we'll be showing more livery renders soon :-)

Cheers,

Dave

GenesisLBSCR_RMweb.jpg.9033990c4d82266081346842a1220249.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Here's our next batch of Genesis colour layouts. We're leaving the South behind for now and taking a first look at the Great Northern Railway vehicles.

Please note that these colour layouts don't feature the wood grain finish but this will be present on decorated samples and the finished models.

Check out the full images for all vehicles and pre-order yours via the link below:

Hattons Genesis coaches - GNR colour layouts

As always, please let us know what you think either in this thread or the Disqus box on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-46Pack-201_RMweb.jpg.4a6cb03067f8a68c8899ad33d5ce9416.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Dave, these are looking very nice!

I'm especially liking the way you've gone for the squared-off lining on the GNR carriages, as this disguises the round-edged panelling somewhat, and the blue-edged golden lining looks like it will be exquisite!

A quick thought - would it be possible to arrange to have the smoking compartments (I assume those are what the compartments with ventilators are meant to be!) have "Smoking" etched in the glazing (well, presumably printed in light grey on the inside of the glazing) where appropriate? For example, on the LBSCR ones, this was etched in a rectangle thus:

image.png.c2565d336d40e9a0b0ef8abf5c636a1e.png

while other companies used different shapes, or stickers. The LSWR, for example, had etched oval shapes:

London_and_South-Western_Railway_carriag
Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_and_South-Western_Railway_carriage.jpg, CC copyright details at link

An example of the Southern's "No Smoking" stickers can be seen on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway stock, and a photo can be seen here:

100-Seater-slam-doora.jpg
Source: http://citytransport.info/Compartment.htm

Just another thing that could add a little extra railway-company-specific detailing through printing?

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A rectangular frosted panel with "smoking" in clear would be sufficiently generic for 19th-century practice, I think. Perhaps the later pre-Grouping and Grouping liveries should have company-specific labels? I think these came in during the Edwardian period. 

The railways were slow to allow smoking on their premises and in carriages, then slow to get rid of it, as I can well recall from Inter-City journeys in the late 80s/early 90s!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well, if one is going to the trouble to do different tampo printing designs for each livery, it oughtn't be too much extra work to have an extra colour or two for the etching? That being said, I think it's a big enough detail that it would help to "set" the intended company - those Southern Smoking/No Smoking signs are quite bright and visible from the outside!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, if one is going to the trouble to do different tampo printing designs for each livery, it oughtn't be too much extra work to have an extra colour or two for the etching? That being said, I think it's a big enough detail that it would help to "set" the intended company - those Southern Smoking/No Smoking signs are quite bright and visible from the outside!

But it is more work/effort/cost, because it's on the glazing, not the body, 

so it's a different/extra process.

• Agree 4

30 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But it is more work/effort/cost, because it's on the glazing, not the body, 

so it's a different/extra process.

That's a very good point, thank you! My point was more aimed at the idea of having one generic shape on the windows of all liveries of carriage, but you make a very good point - every detail adds to the final price! 

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Surely it would be easy for someone with a laser printer and decal paper to produce such signs as an aftermarket accessory?

The difficulty is either you have to print on clear decal paper (in which case you need to have white toner in your printer which most consumer printers won't have) or print on white paper and then cut very very carefully around each one to get the nice white borders around the transfer. That being said, it ought to be simple enough for a transfer manufacturer with the ability to produce white transfers on a clear background to make them! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a laser printer with ghost white toner and decal paper. See ianmaccormacmodels.blogspot.com in about 5 mins!

And see the pre-grouping thread on here also.

Cheers Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/08/2020 at 13:20, wainwright1 said:

P.S. Forgot to say that I hope to be visiting the Island again in October and the steam railway.

Will be pleased to see what progress they have made with the Oldbury's.

All the best

Ray

I live on the island and have seen the gradual restoration of the oldbury that is up and running right now. It really is rather splendid, the stained glass top windows are a particular highlight. I wasn’t actually aware of a second oldbury but I only visit a few times a year so I don’t know the ins and outs of the stock there. Anyway, have fun on your trip!

Otis 

• Like 3

On 23/08/2020 at 19:21, barrymx5 said:

Like many following this thread,  I registered my interest in various liveried versions soon after they were announced.  Ok so now the models are getting closer to being available and certainly impress me, I have at last placed a firm preorder.  

After running problems over the years with various 6 wheelers (Stove R, Palethorpes etc) I decided my first purchase would be a Southern  green 6 wheeled full brake. My thinking is that  this model would look good with various LSWR and SR coaches in my collection. if this model runs well I will proceed to order a couple of the 4 vehicle sets in various Southern liveries.  if it does not I will try an individual 4 wheeler.  

regards

Barry. 

For me it honestly depends on when I have the money. I am interested in a number of sets and would like to order each company version in a good number instead of individually ie: probably buying the sets of 4. To be honest though, the Genesis stock isn’t high up my priorities list at the moment with a Hornby W1 and various bits from rails already ordered. I, unlike some others, am not too worried about the availability of these coaches as I think (although I can in no way confirm) that they will have a big enough batch to last a good while. Hopefully they will be continually produced as a standard product also unlike the Andrew Barclay and P class. I think there would be more than enough demand to sustain that production model especially with the steady increase of pre group RTR. 

Kindest regards,

Otis

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

For me it honestly depends on when I have the money. I am interested in a number of sets and would like to order each company version in a good number instead of individually ie: probably buying the sets of 4. To be honest though, the Genesis stock isn’t high up my priorities list at the moment with a Hornby W1 and various bits from rails already ordered. I, unlike some others, am not too worried about the availability of these coaches as I think (although I can in no way confirm) that they will have a big enough batch to last a good while. Hopefully they will be continually produced as a standard product also unlike the Andrew Barclay and P class. I think there would be more than enough demand to sustain that production model especially with the steady increase of pre group RTR. 

Kindest regards,

Otis

Interesting Otis. No concerns about 6 wheeler running reliability then?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Surely it would be easy for someone with a laser printer and decal paper to produce such signs as an aftermarket accessory?

I think that they are already available on the Methix/Pressfix Southern Coach transfer sheets.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

I live on the island and have seen the gradual restoration of the oldbury that is up and running right now. It really is rather splendid, the stained glass top windows are a particular highlight. I wasn’t actually aware of a second oldbury but I only visit a few times a year so I don’t know the ins and outs of the stock there. Anyway, have fun on your trip!

Otis 

There are actually five Oldbury's, all different types, so they can make up quite a nice set from them. They had already started on the second one when we visited the museum last year.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 23/08/2020 at 19:21, barrymx5 said:

I don't model pre-grouping, or even Big Four, so there's really only one that's appropriate to me and that's the one in BR breakdown train red - it's the ideal match for the Bachmann crane.

When these were announced I did kick myself a bit for not buying the Rapido Stirling Single, as not having anything suitable for it to pull was one of the reasons I decided against, and now of course that reason no longer applies. But the Single is silly money on eBay now, so I'm not planning on reversing that decision. Besides, I've already got too much stuff that's outside my core era that I bought just because I fancied it at the time, and until I do finally get the loft converted there's no prospect of  having a layout to run it all on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1