1950/60 photo location help need

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

i have inherited my dads steam loco photos and need help to put locations to some 

none have any dates my Dad lived in Darlington 

Thanks John 

so to start with 3 all taken at the same place as a guess somewhere on the north end of the west coast mainline ?

45545  rebuilt LMS Patriot 

49013104692_1638f0b168_b.jpg45545 by john brace, on Flickr

unknown class 40 

49012897356_3d46a94783_b.jpgClass 40 by john brace, on Flickr

unknown LMS Stanier class 8P Princess coronation

49012897046_0fa6fcd959_b.jpgStanier class 8P Princess coronation by john brace, on Flickr

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Upperby again, you can see the roundhouse in the background of the first one.

Thought it was just want to make sure 

John

I had a look on Google maps; the road parallel to the railway appears to be Regent Street, and the one with the terraced houses is Hasell Street

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Upperby,+Carlisle+CA2+4SF/@54.8810833,-2.9280266,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487d1bd9bfee85af:0x1c979c78ba7366e9!8m2!3d54.869331!4d-2.934421?hl=en-GB

Looking at 'Streetview', the present-day Hasell St has not changed much.

The shot of the EE Type 4, with the fence in middle distance, and then seemingly open country beyond,  could be south of Hasell St, just near the point where Upperby Sidings join the main line.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes they look like the houses at the other side of the fence. I'm not that familair with Carlisle myself but I've spent many hours looking at maps and photos while building the layout. The Upperby area isn't modelled to scale, more representative but we have the bracket signal seen in your first photograph and a small segment of the roundhouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All Upperby except for 46222 which is taken in Kingmoor shed yard (south). 46223 is in Upperby 'Burma' sidings near Tyne Street. WD Mark s buildings behind. Behind D216 is what use to be a rubbish tip and where your first batch of photos looking towards the shed were taken from. The photo is taken from the footbridge as was the next two Coronations

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

The lower four would be Crewe, and I'd suggest the bottom one is 6256 rather than 6250.

thank you went by the number on the back of the photo but when you look up close it is 6256 

• Like 1

I am interested in the loco's chimney in the picture of 46223 at Upperby. You say it's not a great picture, but most of the details on the engine are quite recognisable. However, I can't be sure about the chimney. Is the casing missing, and what's showing is just the tops of the exhausts? Or is the chimney missing completely, and that dark shape (darker than anything else on the boilertop) actually part of the building behind? Or has the chimney been blurred so much that the lip just doesn't stand out?

Do you have a date for the picture? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, pH said:

I am interested in the loco's chimney in the picture of 46223 at Upperby. You say it's not a great picture, but most of the details on the engine are quite recognisable. However, I can't be sure about the chimney. Is the casing missing, and what's showing is just the tops of the exhausts? Or is the chimney missing completely, and that dark shape (darker than anything else on the boilertop) actually part of the building behind? Or has the chimney been blurred so much that the lip just doesn't stand out?

Do you have a date for the picture? 

having blown the picture up on the computer you are right the chimney is missing and what is showing is the building behind sorry no date all the info my Dad left me where the loco numbers on the back of each photo 

John 

Edited by jbqfc
my hopeless spelling
  • Thanks 1

The first three look to be just south of Clapham Junction trains on the South Western with the Brighton lines in the foreground.

I'm not familiar with the old Euston but the juice rails might suggest that for the last two ( a frequent 'home' for 10203 ).

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I love these old pics because they are the same sort of 'finish' I managed to get on the few I ever took as I never had a great camera, but they still contain loads of interesting detail. Thanks for showing them and hopefully more to come. They are of an age I remember so well.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2