The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, micklner said:

No obvious V2 video just photographs on Facebook ? @ £330

17 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Having seen this 

Having seen this FB video, I'm rather glad I already have one of the updated DCC chassis versions dating from 2013.

I can't see a video either. 330 is the sound equipped version. They're pretty pricey.

@ Black 5 Bear. What's your reasons for your comment?

24 minutes ago, davidw said:

I can't see a video either. 330 is the sound equipped version. They're pretty pricey.

@ Black 5 Bear. What's your reasons for your comment?

Apologies, the video reference was forwarded from a colleague, which is admittedly wrong and yes these are quite obviously pictures.

I think looking at the new model you will draw your own conclusions as have I.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo

38 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Apologies, the video reference was forwarded from a colleague, which is admittedly wrong and yes these are quite obviously pictures.

I think looking at the new model you will draw your own conclusions as have I.

I  understand thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's nice to see the proper hump back on the boiler but I'm afraid I can't justify that level of expenditure on a loco any more. There comes a point where you have to accept that you just have to do without.

I still have an old style body and an old Hornby A3 she'll so I'm off down that road with a Comet chassis I think 

Unless Mike Trice can help me with one or two of his excellent bodyshells.  Those don't seem easy to find though 

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

LocomotionModels Green Arrow now in stock.

Its now crunch time - I do stick with the LNER Green model and the awful, too wide, black cab-firebox join, but lovely livery (and fond memories of its final trip out of KGX), or move to the BR Green version (which I saw when freshly outshopped from the NRM in 2008)?

If Apple Green, what chances the cab join will be improved in future batches and a replacement body can be sourced and renumbered...?!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

I’ll just point out one significant feature of said video and yes it certainly is a bullet through the foot experience for Bachmann I agree. That is that there is clear evidence that it was taken a while ago and as such is a pre production sample. But put another way I hope it is ….Why put into public view a product that’s going perhaps to make its adoring public nervous ? 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’ll just point out one significant feature of said video and yes it certainly is a bullet through the foot experience for Bachmann I agree. That is that there is clear evidence that it was taken a while ago and as such is a pre production sample. But put another way I hope it is ….Why put into public view a product that’s going perhaps to make its adoring public nervous ? 

and that issues is....?

It has the straight/retooled running plate, so that would suggest it is a production model...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

LocomotionModels Green Arrow now in stock.

Its now crunch time - I do stick with the LNER Green model and the awful, too wide, black cab-firebox join, but lovely livery (and fond memories of its final trip out of KGX), or move to the BR Green version (which I saw when freshly outshopped from the NRM in 2008)?

If Apple Green, what chances the cab join will be improved in future batches and a replacement body can be sourced and renumbered...?!

Chance of an ‘improved’ tool fairly high I think because that cab join looks awful in the LNER version. Chance of a reasonably priced replacement body much less certain I fear. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Chance of an ‘improved’ tool fairly high I think because that cab join looks awful in the LNER version. Chance of a reasonably priced replacement body much less certain I fear. 

And chance of a re-release of 4771 once cab improved.... ?

This is what I'm juggling in my mind right now...

It does annoy me that Bachmann improve obvious errors in batch 1 and don't offer redress for those who purchased the models. The first batch of A2s with the awful cab sloop caused by the too thick cab front is a perfect case of this. I ended up purchasing a cheap second batch model to renumber... but won't do that when models cost £220...

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

And chance of a re-release of 4771 once cab improved.... ?

This is what I'm juggling in my mind right now...

It does annoy me that Bachmann improve obvious errors in batch 1 and don't offer redress for those who purchased the models. The first batch of A2s with the awful cab sloop caused by the too thick cab front is a perfect case of this. I ended up purchasing a cheap second batch model to renumber... but won't do that when models cost £220...

Got to accept that rerelease of 4771 in one version of another is a dead cert - how many versions of the last model did they release as 4771/60800, loads!

Not entirely true to say they haven’t issued replacement bodies where problems have arisen although I think I am right in saying its only been where there has been a factory error  - off the top my head the weathered 73050, the original 60800 and very recently the current class 20. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Got to accept that rerelease of 4771 in one version of another is a dead cert - how many versions of the last model did they release as 4771/60800, loads!

Not entirely true to say they haven’t issued replacement bodies where problems have arisen although I think I am right in saying its only been where there has been a factory error  - off the top my head the weathered 73050, the original 60800 and very recently the current class 20. 

Its a tricky one. They released 4771 in the early 1990s, then nothing until 60800 some years later (I think split chassis), initially with an incorrect double chimney, then a few releases of 4771 in late 2000s/early 2010s with split chassis, and most recently DCC ready chassis.

I immediately note the greatly over-done width of the black band at the junction between the cab and the boiler. In reality, the black band there was certainly wider than a normal boiler band, but not nearly so marked as the clumsy representation on that model.

• Agree 3

On BR black and green versions far less noticable. It's better than the previous Bachmann model. But as already  noted there are some significant slip ups. Disappointing TBH.

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I immediately note the greatly over-done width of the black band at the junction between the cab and the boiler. In reality, the black band there was certainly wider than a normal boiler band, but not nearly so marked as the clumsy representation on that model.

A very poor attempt at hiding a yawning gap in the mouldings between Boiler and Cab ? .

Its not helped by the overscale bright Silver Valve Gear and clumsy Driving/Bogie wheels , which again are'nt helped by leaving them with plain oversize Silver rims.

Silver painted Buffers ? on a £200 plus model.

Rating 5/10

What the real one looks like in preservation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_V2_4771_Green_Arrow#/media/File:Green_Arrow_at_Toddington_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Having also taken delivery of my Green Arrow today, while the black paint at the meeting point between the cab and firebox is thicker than I would have expected it does not detract from the look of the engine. There is definitely no major gap between cab and firebox, it's ultimately down to the livery application.  

The 'polished' valve gear and tyres are very brightly done, but since they are polished on the preserved engine it is at least replicating current appearance. 

Regardless, neither feature detracts from what is a very impressive model which captures the character of there real thing very nicely

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, micklner said:

A very poor attempt at hiding a yawning gap in the mouldings between Boiler and Cab ? .

Its not helped by the overscale bright Silver Valve Gear and clumsy Driving/Bogie wheels , which again are'nt helped by leaving them with plain oversize Silver rims.

Silver painted Buffers ? on a £200 plus model.

Rating 5/10

What the real one looks like in preservation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_V2_4771_Green_Arrow#/media/File:Green_Arrow_at_Toddington_1.jpg

Its not hiding the gap. As noted on the BR Green models, there is no gap. It is a simple c*ck up by the CAD or tooling designers who made the strip that on the prototype connects the cab to the firebox far too wide on the cab front, and the subsequently the livery designers working with this error and constraining the green (and lining) to the edge of that strip.

I did raise this issue with Bachmann at the decoration samples stage, but no one bothered to reply to me (although Locomotion models did, but without committing to rectifying it...).

This was NOT an issue at all on the old V2 model, the cab/firebox interface had the correct (very thin) amount of black in it. And the tip of the green on the cab front reached down to level with the bottom of the running numbers. For me this is the biggest let down to this new model. I'm awaiting mine any day, and I hope it doesn't detract to much.

TBH the rest of the model, valve gear, buffers and all, I think looks very nice for a polished up preserved loco.

The first batch of the Apple Green Bachmann Tornado had silver painted buffers and I think it works.