The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

4 hours ago, 45568 said:

Queried Rails of Sheffield regarding the tender wheels on their 60964 and was disappointed to find they are spoked. Does anyone know if Bachmann disc wheels will be available as spares?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

That's really odd as the latest ROS link showing all three releases, 60964 is clearly fitted with disc wheels wheels. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0225/2858/9896/products/IMG_2758_720x.jpg?v=1639736585

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:
4 hours ago, 45568 said:

Queried Rails of Sheffield regarding the tender wheels on their 60964 and was disappointed to find they are spoked. Does anyone know if Bachmann disc wheels will be available as spares?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

That's really odd as the latest ROS link showing all three releases, 60964 is clearly fitted with disc wheels wheels. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0225/2858/9896/products/IMG_2758_720x.jpg?v=1639736585

Both new V2s I've bought - 60964 and 60800 - have disc wheels on the tender, if that's reassurance for you.

Pete T.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Picking up (pun intended) briefly on the reported issues with the effects of the engine/tender drawbar, I must agree with some others that it would appear to be an over-convoluted design. Electrical connections with socket and plug may not appease all, but in terms of fault finding and repair, many would find it preferable to this latest arrangement. Like it or not, faults do arise, and the ease with which they can be traced, identified and rectified is most important.

Are we to assume that this new connection method will be de rigueur for all new tender locomotives from Bachmann?

Hopefully....not, probably....yes!

Seemingly unnecessary “improvements” of this nature must only place additional costs to production.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PJT said:

Both new V2s I've bought - 60964 and 60800 - have disc wheels on the tender, if that's reassurance for you.

Pete T.

Thanks for that Pete, the link that Black 5 Bear kindly sent shows 60845??

If you have indeed got the latest all-singing Rails special 60964 and it has disc wheels, then I may go all Nelson to the other faults and get one, as I intend to do 60835. Bachmann in their wisdom decided to model their BR green example with outside steam pipes, which severely limits renaming/numbering choices and time frame.

Thanks to all for your quick responses!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Judging by other third-party images on a well-known online auction platform, the smokebox door as modelled by Bachmann is very light- and angle-sensitive.

From dead ahead the door straps have the correct ‘face’ and seem convincingly proud of the door itself. From certain side views, the straps are much more subtle and almost invisible when not picked out in silver. 

FWIW here’s a couple of phone shots of 4791 I grabbed (through a glass display cabinet) in a model shop a few weeks ago. Looks alright to me. 

8EE5AC02-9C37-461F-8397-5D28E74541A1.jpeg.889483e6daf79cd876aec0ca38b59d21.jpegE3DC6470-11AE-498E-9006-236DBFF310A1.jpeg.099310266d69447f487bd1362efdcc7f.jpeg

Presumably the raised section and 3 bolts that mar the buffer beam represent the top of the AWS bang plate that is only appropriate for 4771 as preserved and the BR Green version? Strange curates egg of a model this new V2 - expect and usually get better attention to detail from Bachmann. 

• Agree 2

Hi Peter

You could maybe look at replacing the wheels yourself but this is not something we would do, not sure on the spoked wheels but this is the decision that was taken to produce them as such.

Kind regards

Heather

On 18/01/2022 04:45, Peter Chandler wrote:

Thank you for the prompt reply Simon. Is there any way that the spoked tender wheels can be replaced with the correct disc type? It seems all other variants on your website have disc wheels, were you unlucky to catch the only wrongly spoked wheels?

60964 is of interest to me as it represents the variant I wish to model.

Regards,

Peter Chandler

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 9:29:58 PM
To: Peter Chandler
Subject: Re: V2 Durham Light Infantry

Hi Mr Chandler

They are spoked wheels.

Kind regards

Simon

On 17/01/2022 10:28, Peter Chandler wrote:

With regard to your special edition of the Bachmann V2 60964, can you tell me whether the production models have spoked or disc wheels please?

Thanks,

Peter Chandler

I attach the correspondence from Rails, now I am confused!!!!

PJT, can you attach a pic please?

Cheers,

Peter C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

PJT, can you attach a pic please?

Here you go:

IMG_0981.JPG.b2436048893a1aad77adbdaef61e5f32.JPG

Hope that helps.  It's pretty conclusive, isn't it?   Presumably the Rails staff who replied to you were looking at photos of earlier samples.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Added comment
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Could I ask what your thoughts are regarding the sound please ?

Yes, though they're a bit limited by not having had enough time to really fiddle with it yet.  In my opinion it's a very nice sound project, though as always with steam sounds it could do with more low-down grunt - but I think we all know that the ideal for steam is a speaker and chamber far larger than you could fit in the loco. 

Having the sound coming from the loco rather than the tender is a real positive, as you'd expect, and I know I'll be playing around with the speaker in the loco to improve the sound, rather than adding another in the tender.  Early days at the moment, though - I haven't yet removed the body to see how the sugar cube in the loco is set up or how well it's sealed in its chamber, or if there's sufficient space for a better speaker, or a bigger chamber, or a second sugar cube alongside the first. 

I also haven't, in the five days I've had the V2 so far, got around to altering the volumes of individual sounds - but I will because I usually find some too quiet relative to others while some others are too loud or shrill and that's certainly the case with this V2.  What I will say is that the loco ran absolutely perfectly on DCC straight out of the box - I haven't had to fine tune any of the CVs for the loco's running and the synchronisation of sound to driving wheel rotation seems on the factory setting to be as good as it could be.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Presumably the raised section and 3 bolts that mar the buffer beam represent the top of the AWS bang plate that is only appropriate for 4771 as preserved and the BR Green version? Strange curates egg of a model this new V2 - expect and usually get better attention to detail from Bachmann. 

Well spotted, hadn’t seen that before. From what I can see in pre-war V2 photographs the bufferbeam was flat and didn’t feature that raised section as modelled.

I’d be semi-tempted to carve it off with a scalpel and a steady hand but most likely with the three-link front coupling fitting and hanging over the bufferbeam that area would be well obscured and largely unnoticeable when the model is running. 

• RMweb Premium

I love the Rails of Sheffield video showing their two exclusive Bachmann V2 models. Shot on Neville Grove, the excellent camera work really shows off the locomotives very well. To make it clear, I've no link with Rails (although I did buy my V2 from them), just love the video.

Edited by curlypaws
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, curlypaws said:

I love the Rails of Sheffield video showing their two exclusive Bachmann V2 models. Shot on Neville Grove, the excellent camera work really shows off the locomotives very well. To make it clear, I've no link with Rails (although I did buy my V2 from them), just love the video.

Both with spoked tender wheels!!! I really must get out more!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Has anyone acquired 35-202 BR green St Paul's School as yet ?

I'm wavering on this model and would like some feedback and some pictures if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I bought one yesterday afternoon.  Haven't fitted any of the bits or done much else with it yet, but here's a quick snap I took last night. Can confirm it's a good runner!

IMG_4420.jpeg.cadfaeb36274b79d88bf742fdaa1af60.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Has anyone acquired 35-202 BR green St Paul's School as yet ?

I'm wavering on this model and would like some feedback and some pictures if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I have both BR versions on order ( greedy boy) as In my youf I saw both .A saving grace with these is that the motion below the running plate is darkened. Much has been posted here concerning the overscale rendering which regrettably stands out like the proverbial sore thumb on all LNER versions as can be witnessed from the excellent video seen above. I’ll stick with my order because it’s the best I’m likely to get and the impression from the video is that the clumsy motion is just about acceptable. Hornby get it right,as they have with the various versions of the W1,despite sometimes shedding a hex nut that hasn’t been properly secured or otherwise factory mangled.

For comparison in the wider scale,look at recent examples and releases in HO DB/DR & SNCF models from both Roco and Piko.The latter’s new BR 78 tank raises the bar and in any case,Bachmann Europe have similar examples to demonstrate what can be achieved both sides of the running plate. The 78 can be purchased for a smidgeon over £250 btw within the UK.  That said,I’ll enjoy my V2’s when they arrive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I have both BR versions on order ( greedy boy) as In my youf I saw both .A saving grace with these is that the motion below the running plate is darkened. Much has been posted here concerning the overscale rendering which regrettably stands out like the proverbial sore thumb on all LNER versions as can be witnessed from the excellent video seen above. I’ll stick with my order because it’s the best I’m likely to get and the impression from the video is that the clumsy motion is just about acceptable. Hornby get it right,as they have with the various versions of the W1,despite sometimes shedding a hex nut that hasn’t been properly secured or otherwise factory mangled.

For comparison in the wider scale,look at recent examples and releases in HO DB/DR & SNCF models from both Roco and Piko.The latter’s new BR 78 tank raises the bar and in any case,Bachmann Europe have similar examples to demonstrate what can be achieved both sides of the running plate. The 78 can be purchased for a smidgeon over £250 btw within the UK.  That said,I’ll enjoy my V2’s when they arrive.

Thanks Ian,

Having just watched the latest "Neville Grove" V2 Rails exclusives video it might well sway me.

Enjoy your new additions when they arrive !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

I bought one yesterday afternoon.  Haven't fitted any of the bits or done much else with it yet, but here's a quick snap I took last night. Can confirm it's a good runner!

IMG_4420.jpeg.cadfaeb36274b79d88bf742fdaa1af60.jpeg

The green looks great

• Agree 3

On my BR late crest 'St Peter's School' I started to fit the nameplates yesterday. Had to modify them as Bachmann don't supply any support to enable attachment to the running plate. Being etched  they are too thin to get a reliable attachment at the base. I fitted a thin square section of plasticard to the base reverse side of the nameplate, about 3mm in from each end, so it can't be seen. This was painted satin black and the new plasticard base was fitted to the running plate with glue n glaze.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 minutes ago, rembrow said:

On my BR late crest 'St Peter's School' I started to fit the nameplates yesterday. Had to modify them as Bachmann don't supply any support to enable attachment to the running plate. Being etched  they are too thin to get a reliable attachment at the base. I fitted a thin square section of plasticard to the base reverse side of the nameplate, about 3mm in from each end, so it can't be seen. This was painted satin black and the new plasticard base was fitted to the running plate with glue n glaze.

Thanks for the tip as I was wondering how to fit the name plates.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, H2Eric said:

Thanks for the tip as I was wondering how to fit the name plates.

Same here - on my first attempt at "offering them up" into position without glue I managed to let go with the tweezers and the nameplate fell down the gap between boiler and running plate!  It ended up lodged between the chassis block and the middle driving wheel, and was a bit of a pain to gently persuade into a position where it could be withdrawn from underneath... 

The suggestion from @rembrow sounds good. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

I've got 2 of these new V2s - Green Arrow (nameplates already either side of smokebox) and 60845 un-named black. Listening to other people's issues regarding the fiddle involved in fitting the etched plates on other models, is it only me who thinks it is unacceptable (or lazy on behalf of the manufacturer) for a circa £200 (DC) loco to not only have to fit your own nameplates (no pre-printed version already on the model) and to work out how to actually mount them ?

Granted, many people will be proficient modellers, and for these people it will be no great hassle, but there will be just as many, if not more, who are somewhat less able or confident .And for £200 I think Bachmann should be doing better.

• Agree 4