Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RailWest said:

Without a lot more searching of photos (too late at night for that now!), what I am not sure about is the situation after the siding was removed, but my guess would be that the SR simply removed the redundant rodding and left the 3-way roller stools in place with one empty. Whether you want to model 'reality', or just pretend that the siding never existed at all and so there was only ever 2-way stools, is up to you.....:-)

I may well model the empty third roller in place but will keep looking for more photos before doing so.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A little more work on the layout altering the station name boards to the correct eight foot size. The actual name is just a temporary printout for now but it's good to start adding such detail.

Also the gravel surface has just been applied

20201007_152402_001-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The platform surfaces are just about done and after vacuuming up the last area done this morning once it has dried they will have a little bit of weathering.

The seats came out of one of the L & B wagons that I had put in it many yrars ago. They are a fairly close match to the ones that were used on the L and B.

There is still more point rodding to fit.

The station master is one of the superb Modelu figures.

20201025_110120-picsay.jpg

20201025_110450-picsay.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I set the whole layout up for the first time since March. A couple of reasons, one that I needed to take down the two boards that were set up in the shed so that I can gain access to lay N scale track on the High line test track in the shed and two, I have been adjusting three locos for some one so that the pony trucks stay on the track through turnouts. WIth the modifications done it was a good chance to give them a good run through all the turnouts on the layout.

I also gave all my Heljan locos a run, especially LEW which has an EDM models sound decoder fitted.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A task that I have been putting off for some time finally did get done this week.

The soil vent pipes and the only rainwater down pipe on the building now in place and painted.

I must complete the interior soon. The beds upstairs are in place but no furniture or pillows yet.

20201211_100355-picsay.jpg

20201211_100416-picsay.jpg

20201211_100347-picsay.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hope everyone had as best a Christmas day as the current situation allows.

Today its back to doing a little more on the building. The notice boards have been printed out on glossy photo paper, sealed, cut out and a pencil rubbed on the cut edges before fixing in place with canopy glue. These came from the Scale scenes Southern Railway station signs download.

However the enamel signs where a bit harder to produce but found after a search online, scaled to the correct size and printed out as per the notice boards. I still need to sort out the signal box name, the gentleman toilet sign plus another poster  to the right of the double door.

The postbox will be produced the same way if I can find a straight on photo of the one currently at Woody Bay Station.

Another task is to print out suitable curtains for the old buffet on the left side of the building etc.

20201226_102124-picsay.jpg

20201226_102416-picsay.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Is this one at Chelfham the same?

C5412CE5-87BB-44A4-B53B-423FAD977683.jpeg.c36199cae7c7d794d29517ff0921e25c.jpeg

Paul

Yes its the same actual post box but it has a special brick surround that I am hoping ot print out aswell. However your photo may well do if i come up with another way to produce the surround.

Thanks

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Adrian

Thanks for the photo and links.

This was photographed at Woody Bay  and was hoping to make a visit over xmas but we are now in tier 4 so not allowed to travel. I could try straightening it up but may well build the surround out of styrene than use on of the photos for the actual box to sit in the middle.

I also have to put the white lettering and lining on the chocolate machine. Still have to think about that.

WoodyBayStation Post box.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to make the brick surround out of styrene strip and thrn file the edge round. It has now been stuck to a small rectangular central piece that will eventually get a printed post box. Once set the edges will be filed before painting

20201230_172235-picsay.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have now printed out the letterbox and glued it to the brick surround. The print has come out a bit dark but it's likely to fade even after spraying with colour fixer by the time it gets to it's first show late 2022. If not then I can redo it.

20210103_123039-picsay.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway -It's curtains for the station
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst sorting out various spares boxes I stumbled across the one that contains the Dornaplans buildings bits. In there were the printed paper curtains that came in these buildings kits so that was a good opportunity to add thrm.

The buffet closed prior to 1930 and the photos that I have seen showed the curtains pulled to the windows. I have used the Dornaplans ones closet to what I believe were in the photos.

The bedroom ones are just a complete guess but as they are glued in with canopy glue, they can be replaced if required.

Next will be the wall lights. I am working on an idea to create them.

20210116_163511-picsay.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Gordon D said:

Will that be working wall lights using very small SM LED's.

I am considering fitting SMLED's to the wall lights  and also to the interior.  Bedrooms have beds in them but not sure what other furniture would be in there and what the colours of the walls would be. I am hoping to start the ticket office interior soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I as it was pleasant outside I decided to fit the end plates that allow the boards to be boxed up for transport.

Just completed the task and wilm test fit in the car but should not be an issue as they are much the same size as my N scale layouts.

It will be many months (if not years) before its likely to be unloaded at a show venue but at least it's one task completed.

20210121_171226-picsay.jpg

• Like 6

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway -Layout now boxed up ready for a show - We can dream
  • RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Are there going to be any sort of protective covers for the undersides?

I may add some perspex to the various electronic circuits but otherwise no as they have survived in this format on my other layouts that have done many shows over the years. Only thing that tends to get knocked are the solenoid rodsbut that doesnt normally break them.

• Like 1