Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

Looking good so far, it's always nice to see someone who makes an attempt to model such 'bits'. Possibly a little bit too far away from the rail, bearing in mind that they were designed to be depressed by that small part of the wheel tyre which overhung the outside of the rail head, but probably it's the 'overhead' view which exaggerates the appearance. One more to do, I see :-)

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Looking good so far, it's always nice to see someone who makes an attempt to model such 'bits'. Possibly a little bit too far away from the rail, bearing in mind that they were designed to be depressed by that small part of the wheel tyre which overhung the outside of the rail head, but probably it's the 'overhead' view which exaggerates the appearance. One more to do, I see :-)

I had to be careful not to file away too much of the plastic on the turnout over the tie bar otherwise it could compromise the stability of the turnout so the gap is a little larger than I would like. It's also a little lower than should be but again have to be careful when cleaning the rails that they don't get snagged.

One more to go but as the rodding is down the centre of the loop I am not too sure how the locking bar should be as doubt it would be on the curved side of the turnout. It mght be that there are more cranks to pass under the track.

19 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

One more to go but as the rodding is down the centre of the loop I am not too sure how the locking bar should be as doubt it would be on the curved side of the turnout. It mght be that there are more cranks to pass under the track.

The lock bar was on the outside of the rail on the platform side, immediately in rear of the point toe (much as on the down facing point). The rod came down the (not ) 6-foot, then turned left and passed under the track to the FPL mechanism on the Up side rail.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, RailWest said:

The lock bar was on the outside of the rail on the platform side, immediately in rear of the point toe (much as on the down facing point). The rod came down the (not ) 6-foot, then turned left and passed under the track to the FPL mechanism on the Up side rail.

Thank you. Much as I feared it would so will require a few more cranks than I was hoping. At least I know what I will be assembling tomorrow.

A few more photos from today.

A bit more overgrowth added and the tall signal just before the road bridge has been partially assembled and tst fitted so that the embankment formation cold be glued into place. Hopefully the signal can be completed enough to be temporarily put in place on Saturday before the layout is taken down for a while.

20210204_135912-picsay.jpg

20210204_153657-picsay.jpg

20210204_153722-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RailWest said:

FYI that signal dates from 1929 and was 30' high .

It used to be the other side of the track till then. The etch is a 40ft one but looks too short at 30ft. However I guess that it was situated on the cutting slope so setting it at 35 feet above the rails as in my photo appears to look right to me, what do you think? However it is closer to the bridge than it should be in order to fit it in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been reading further info on the Trainweb pages. The Up home signal was a 30 ft lattice pos tbut monuted ontop of the embankment so it would be quite a lot taller from ground level but as I have moved it closer ot the bridge I will probably leave it as I have it currently positioned so that the perspective from the station looks better. The other option would be to leave it off but I think that with all 4 signals working it will give more interest to viewers at shows paritcularly if I do get the layout automation working properly.

Talking of automation I had been reading up on JMRI automation but so far I havent managed ot get it working. All the block sections do work in the JMRI panel though.  I am hoping to get the signal arms to bounce when operated. I am currently looking at the Megapoints circuits to do this.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

To be clear on two things:-

1. It is known that the original Down Home was indeed sited on top of the cutting. In fact, there was a photo published some years ago which was taken from north of the bridge looking towards the station and showed this quite clearly. Exactly where the replacement signal was sited is not known, but it was listed as being 10 yards further out.

2. The 'height' quoted for signals is usually that of the arm above rail-head. So a "30' signal" put up on top of a cutting would actually have a  much shorter post than one set into the cess.

Still, I'm pleased to see that you've been reading more of my scribblings :-)

Edited by RailWest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, RailWest said:

To be clear on two things:-

1. It is known that the original Down Home was indeed sited on top of the cutting. In fact, there was a photo published some years ago which was taken from north of the bridge looking towards the station and showed this quite clearly. Exactly where the replacement signal was sited is not known, but it was listed as being 10 yards further out.

2. The 'height' quoted for signals is usually that of the arm above rail-head. So a "30' signal" put up on top of a cutting would actually have a  much shorter post than one set into the cess.

Still, I'm pleased to see that you've been reading more of my scribblings :-)

Oh yes, all very handy and the pages booked marked.

I must admit that I didnt realise that the height was measured from rail level  even if on top of a cutting. I do have a photo some where along with a photo of the replacement one but as you say it not clear as to where it was mounted as there are bushes in the way.

Thanks again.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I am currently looking at the Megapoints circuits to do this.

You won't go far wrong with Dave's servo controller, easy to set up and use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Having made some further enquiries amongst my L&BR contacts, I have had sight now of a SR-period photo which shows very clearly that the base of the Up Home signal was set into the ground just outside the edge of the cess right at the bottom of the slope of the cutting side. So it was indeed a tall post! I'm not sure of the copyright of the photo so will not post it here (will send PM to the OP in due course).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to (RailWest) Chris, the Up home signal has now been sited close to what was in the photo that he Pm'd me. However it is much closer to the bridge than it should be in order to fit it in the scenic area. The Down home signal has also had its mounting holes drilled but both these signals require quite a bit more work to complete them.

20210206_124520.jpg.1fc5b83315960dc30a7ebb0701c86007.jpg

More point rodding has also been fitted but still more to do including one more facing point lock detail.

20210206_144346.jpg.d5f37f78b3a2fc03f820182efb895b11.jpg

The interior lighting is now working in the station building but does require another LED as the ticket office is a little bit to dim to be able to see it clearly through the doors.

20210206_121110.jpg.bfd8c522cc273581a17e951607c43b23.jpg

20210206_121134.jpg.bc550dd82712f6a8a01b926e2dcbd3e9.jpg

A final running session was had yesterday afternoon prior to taking the layout down. Its now boxed up in the shed but work will continue on the signals and the station building till the next time I set the layout up althoguh just two boards may be set up to compete the point rodding in the next few weeks.

I also hope to start building the hotel that will be used to photo to put on the backscene.

20210206_144504.jpg

20210206_144522.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Your Down Home seem to be rather a long way out? See https://maps.nls.uk/view/105997565 - actually not a very good map as it's missing the crossover at the south end (!), but you can judge the actual position of  the DH relative to the point in the sidings.

Yes it is as I wanted to keep it away from the baseboard joint where it would be prone to get knocked when setting up and dismantling at shows plus any leaning over the layout whilst shunting would also make its correct position very vulnerable, so moving closer to the backscene should help it survive better. I spent some time yesterday contemplating the pros and cons of doing so but from past experience I know that it would not last long despite all my crew being very careful. I have already knocked off two of the four the replacement finials on the roof ridge of the stabes block after fixing the building down. They wont be replaced till all scenic work is complete along with those on the roof of the station building. They are very finely detailed 3D prints but that also makes them very brittle.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A good point!  Somehow rubber posts would not look the same :-)

Although, as an aside, one railway company (and it may well have been the L&SWR or possibly the GWR) had some early semaphore ground signals with rubber arms just in case  a passing shunter tripped over them...

Edited by RailWest
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Today something different being worked on.

I have started to paint the interior of one of the composite coaches. Third class seats were varnished timber slatted benches . However first class were dark blue upholstered comfy seats, so these have been painted. At present I am unsure how far that I will go with the interiors but at least this is a start. There will be some passengers added.

20210209_155049-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Today something different being worked on.

I have started to paint the interior of one of the composite coaches. Third class seats were varnished timber slatted benches . However first class were dark blue upholstered comfy seats, so these have Bern painted. At present I am isure how far that I will go with the interiors but at least this is a start. There will be some passengers added.

20210209_155049-picsay.jpg

Well spotted Ian, They could be dark red if smoking. I must do mine then.

Chris

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I forgot about smoking compartments so will have to look up which coaches had them.

Thats easy, they'll be the ones you can't see out of ! 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2021 at 17:46, 34010-34005 said:

Well spotted Ian, They could be dark red if smoking. I must do mine then.

Chris

I have been doing some research on the interiors. There doesnt appear to be any mention of the seats being different colours in Southern days but one book does say that the smoking compartments were dark red leather on construction so maybe that they didnt change the colours during their lifetime. If thta is the case then one of those first class compartments should have the lbue seats repainted dark red.

I am also looking at adding the 'smoking' and 'no smoking' window markings. Only ones I can find are by Fox that go on the outside of the glazing. Just mindfull that they may come off with handling unless I gloss varnish the windows.

The Southern also added destination boards on the gutter below the coach roof. These I will print out putting Lynton on one side and Barnstaple on the other. they can then just be turned according ot the direction they will be going on the layout. The believe that the coaches were occasionally turned on the Pilton yard turntable but the locos always faced Lynton.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - coaches
  • RMweb Gold

This afternoon a friend asked what will I do  as I normally have a Vw camper with a surf board on the roof on my layouts even the Czech HO despite the country being landlocked.

So here we have North Devons first surfer. Its a shorter 5 foot board rather than the more common longboards

20210212_142411-picsay.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - point rodding nearly completed
  • RMweb Gold

This afternoon the remaking point rodding has been installed and painted. Just the last Facing point lock to construct but the desire to get to our local brewery for take out ales at £1 a pint took priority.

The rodding stands out quite nicely before being painted.

Once the paint has dried I can complete the ballasting which will give it a more finished feel.

20210213_151216-picsay.jpg

20210213_151209-picsay.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks nice, you must have had a steady had to get it that straight! I'm a little puzzled though by the purpose of the crank in the '6 foot' at the RH end, which - even with rodding attached at the siding end - would seem to serve no purpose?