Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Somehow I missed you were doing a long Mink.   Neat wagons.   Were they the sort of thing that would have gone behind 'Night Owls' on express freight?   Seem rarely photographed.

It just slipped in between builds. Now I have to find some extra time lol.

Not sure but very plausible. There is not much in the way if info on the net that I have found. The instructions for the kit suggest 1950s but I am sure they would have been around before that.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....

1904 for the first two (69996/7), 1911 for the second batch of six (69998-67000,79598-600). They lasted to between 1951 and 1954 on night turns from Paddington to Bristol, Cardiff and Fishguard. 2 survived withdrawal as stores vans at Swindon until 1966. The later batch were vac fitted with central DC2 ratchet, square shank oval buffers and instanters (though initially 3-link).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Oil-burner said:

1904 for the first two (69996/7), 1911 for the second batch of six (69998-67000,79598-600). They lasted to between 1951 and 1954 on night turns from Paddington to Bristol, Cardiff and Fishguard. 2 survived withdrawal as stores vans at Swindon until 1966. The later batch were vac fitted with central DC2 ratchet, square shank oval buffers and instanters (though initially 3-link).

Thank you Oil-burner. Great information and most certainly a world of help for getting this finished. Cheers.

Getting slowly. I wanted to ensure there was enough of the rivet strapping to do the roof and the gotten edges to the wagon. Some of the off cuts have just been long enough to fit the narrower parts between the end strapping.

17129138282654911651211459448448.jpg.1e1c2136c3e70a67548e1429cfe1b995.jpg

Once completed will have go over the entire shiny wagon with a fibre pen to make sure there is a key for painting.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, very pleasing to see an old kit like that coming to life. The aluminimum look is almost arty.

I'm sometimes tempted to pick up one of the old wooden wagon/van kits that come up on ebay etc sometimes. Just to see what they're like. I doubt they can match this though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt, very pleasing to see an old kit like that coming to life. The aluminimum look is almost arty.

I'm sometimes tempted to pick up one of the old wooden wagon/van kits that come up on ebay etc sometimes. Just to see what they're like. I doubt they can match this though!

Thank you. I know what you mean as sometimes the older seemingly more crude kits are an absolute pleasure to built, if not as finely detailed but this can be added or the kit adapted. This is a really nice build the parts are pre-cut in aluminum and the white metal is fairly well detailed. The only things I would say is the measurements for the gaps in strapping seem a little out or at least they are measuring between the sections and not really allowing the builder just marked of the centre for each to be placed so you have to work it out yourself. No biggie really. Not keen on using glue to construct as I get real messy but that's my personal lack of skills.

• Like 3

Hi Bluemonkey,

I also get great pleasure in older kit building. I built this one 2 years ago and the photo shows how I tackled the roof attachment.

Regards, Douglas.

20240413_152521.jpg

20240413_152540.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, gwr517 said:

Hi Bluemonkey,

I also get great pleasure in older kit building. I built this one 2 years ago and the photo shows how I tackled the roof attachment.

Regards, Douglas.

20240413_152521.jpg

20240413_152540.jpg

Thank you. Certainly something to consider. I think I will, if you don't mind my 'borrowing', use a combination of what you have here to secure completely as one. Thank you and what a grand job you have made of the finished wagon.

• Like 3

By all means use some or all of my idea. That is what these blogs are all about, sharing knowledge. The kit I built came from the estate of a local modeller and maybe like you I had never seen anything like it. I built it because  the dia. and the challenge of working with a different material. My transfers are sadly lacking but that will improve when I can order more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having missed out on another F recently. Here's the latest one my F Mink. My attempt to ensure a good solid fix of the roof to body. We'll see. Had thought about magnets but the profile needs a little persuasion.

20240426_154652.jpg.7fffcfa3979538713ec9a59aafef97e2.jpg

The weed killer has taken a back foot as it has beenthe turn of North Wilts Wagon Works this week!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1