Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Well it is finished. Admittedly not my best soldering job but trying to fill the gaps where the etched locators do not meet nor flat plates marrying it is lucky to have survived this far!

DSCF0222.JPG.38b3857047af1c3763e56582db29dc76.JPG    DSCF0223.JPG.da738f6a69b6d448098d06a3695ba52e.JPG

Just needs primer and couplings.

Thought I would introduce the pair as they are destined to be together forever. I shouldn't have expected less really. The bloody things don't marry. I'll have to adjust the ride height on the crane. See what happens when you follow instructions to the letter!!!!

DSCF0224.JPG.fac4275b621c918ff5303d821cca3547.JPG    DSCF0225.JPG.7cb4507be6013262296895e9db176f34.JPG

The boiler and side tanks are not fixed hence the wonky appearance. Still need to bodge the roof and side panels as well as find some basic levers and things to represent control mechanisms. I wonder why these were not included in the kit as well as those steps? After all, the girder balance things are and they do not feature on any pictures I have seen or actually fit where they are supposed to be stored.

Glad it is nearly finished to be honest. It will get a full coat of grey followed by at least one wash of Nuln Oil to darken it up. As for transfers, well anything like that will have to wait especially as still waiting on the Aero ones in hope. Haven't heard anything about them or had a reply/confirmation/polite holding correspondence, nothing from Steve and he is usually very prompt and helpful. Many of the reference pictures I have do not seem to show any sort of markings anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)

Ride height adjusted by removing the pronounce top hat of the treaded thingy to reduce flush to one cross brace and the other cross brace had the entire moulded lump removed. This caused the soldered nut to fall out from the underside, of course this is impossible to reattached as between the floor and the brace. A new hole was made in the white metal cross brace and the hole filled with solder. I then drilled a new round hole nearly large enough to fit the nut. Hot iron, flux and luck the nut with attached screw is inserted 'eyed' to level and true to vertical. The rear bogie side covers were removed to allow for raising a little high. This meant having to file out the two etched guides that fir over the crossed brace. A little job that I should have originally done as original etches are not accurate for this part. The break oil pipes reduced and everything back in place. Quick spraying primer and now done. 

DSCF0226.JPG.954923fdcc15ce630396715969a39dc7.JPG

Really surprised how straight forward this tricky (for me at least) job went, especially as potential for too much off, not enough off and messing around and the obvious total destruction dread. Lesson learned though, only treat the instructions as a guide. Hopefully I can now do something more enjoyable, I'll leave the Bill Bedford ballast wagons alone for a while as they also look fiddly.

The runner actually looks better as well with a coat of primer hiding all the guff. I am glad I decided to include the tool box hinges, was not going to add them as cutting 0.85mm of brass pipe 12 identical times was not filling me full of lust and excitement but thought of a dodge this morning and it played out. I cut the remains for the 16BA crew thread up into 8 and the four for the inner hinges I used 06mm brass wire. Again you see not the instructions and worked ok.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
runner comment
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

For me as a bystander they look fantastic. All your trials and tribulations can't be seen - which is almost unfair!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Finishing a few odd jobs after heading into the next project. 

17099065844408817152402565440279.jpg.4b960e7cb5bf1dd92f4b8b779be3c8d4.jpg

Open wagon 44 will be loaded with barbed wire rolls as previous WD open wagon. GWR open 18364 will also be allocated to the WD train and having any remaining wire rolls or remain empty.

17099066642609117656110554026298.jpg.fcab8f5ca567e5509f9e44b86815a844.jpg

UD milk tank is a hybridised Dapol/Hornby effort. Dapol tank and ladders the rest Hornby. The same as the CWS version in the distant that I bodged a while ago.

17099068382344019466704958988565.jpg.babd868a1b42108795ec78cea73305db.jpg

• Like 7

For those of a certain age or comedy preference;

This week I have mostly been................

building tenders and open wagom chassis.

I had an idea for years about how to incorporate track cleaning mechamisms into a weed killing train. Well I have it in my head but not the technical knowledge or engineering skill to manufacture so I've bit the bullet and just going to the weed killer built.

17107060691197657515946896229124.jpg.7eee1f93c24e37f8d259c45173847f22.jpg

Sadly looks like Kev on LM has already started and finished his although he will not my question about awaiting transfers to be produced so presumably he is also facing the problem as the Aero.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

If I’m totally honest replace the word ‘week’ with ‘month’ 😳

Likewise. Although I have been busy with some of my other interests, I've stalled somewhat with the railway.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Now the painted chassis' are well and truly dry and waiting for roofing inspiration for that crane, time to start planking!

17110150431817875430171790075705.jpg.2c6840902fa1a46882e2326c9ac0b7c9.jpg

Not really sure why I do this to all the wagons especially as a lot will be carrying loads due to the lack of moulding details or the moulded circles on the internal sides.

I see @The Fatadder has also joined in the preprinted fun.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

They are rather addictive, other the scribing on the planks the insides of mine just got a coal/brown mix spread over given as you say they will need an interior to hide the lack of detail.  Not even sure why I bothered adding the planks to be honest.

Presumably you've built the underframes first to avoid damage to the printed sides while painting?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Fatadder said:

They are rather addictive, other the scribing on the planks the insides of mine just got a coal/brown mix spread over given as you say they will need an interior to hide the lack of detail.  Not even sure why I bothered adding the planks to be honest.

Presumably you've built the underframes first to avoid damage to the printed sides while painting?

Yes after a few earlier attempts I prefer to do the chassis first, paint the interior stuff, then fix the top box and if needed tie altogether with a wash or two.

• Agree 1

Very addictive Rich, I have a very large amount of these collected. In fact I much prefer these to most other kit builds. I think primarily due to the headache and faff of the transfer issues that always seem to abruptly halt any kit from a finished state. 

I appreciate these are not the most/best detailed but that is certainly out weighed by being able to have a decentliveried wagon running.

• Like 1

Not sure how old this kit is but the pre-cut moulded parts re almost perfect putting a lot of other kits and manufacturers to shame. 

Have not often worked with aluminium, so a very new experience. So far a pleasant one but we'll have to see how we'll the white metal details are and how it accepts paint.

20240326_093042.jpg.eb26a9d32a624548f2d4e14986d96058.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The garden seems to have taken over from all the wagon building but with a little something in the post I must find time to finish construction of the Mink F and the 2 PO wagons so I can finish an earlier project myself and Chris (Chuffinghell) started! and another newer one I just fell into. As well as the tenders for that train. Could help in the garden!!! 😉

Wagons coming along nicely. Although I have made a purchase error on Pounsbery Bristol, I have already built this one and the firm only had one wagon in green, reverting back to black for later acquisitions. Hmmmm.

17128316126693049995640007666650.jpg.8c5901e2dcf6a5bf8f7ca382c418be9c.jpg

The Mink F is proving very fiddly, with the strapping. Very fine white metal that's reforms at the slightest touch. Especially with meat fist at the bench!!!!🤜👊🤛

17128319152468139081755841795025.jpg.dc43c9925a44ef7d628d21a0638d78cd.jpg

• Like 5

Somehow I missed you were doing a long Mink.   Neat wagons.   Were they the sort of thing that would have gone behind 'Night Owls' on express freight?   Seem rarely photographed.

• Like 1