Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

31 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s going to look mighty impressive with a full rake of five in action so to speak 👍

It like that mountain climb. A real test on process but awesome at the top. Cheers Chris these are truly awesome. Really hope we can embark on some more/new projects together.

Rocket launchers, moon mission (successful one) etc

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

…..Rocket launchers, moon mission (successful one) etc

Not sure if 3D resin would be able to contain a live war head or stand up to re-entry into the atmosphere but I’ll give it a go

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Very nice Mr Wolf, certainly a rabbit hole I'm stay well clear of! 🏃‍♂️🏃🏃‍♀️

Applied a wash of Agrax Earthshade last night to allow a decent drying period and to see effect on 'new wood' colour.

17053119144787822283648491251389.jpg.6b2179ebae6e4f21da65f06177bcd4ad.jpg

Nice contrast between the new and old wood colours.

17053120085624262514720400037975.jpg.956e8c49b10478d37b26ceeb7f9560b3.jpg

Seems OK and certainly something that can be worked with. Probably only needs a little dry brushing of the new wood colour to finish. Don't want to 9ver do the newer wood.

As for the older ones they have a Nuln Oil wash coming this morning.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

They look really damned good, spiffing in fact old chap.

I think that you have really captured the colours of rough sawn timber there.

I know that they tell you not to model a model, but that is a real yardstick for how to interpret newish timber with paint.

It's definitely done justice to the quality of what's beneath.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

They look really damned good, spiffing in fact old chap.

I think that you have really captured the colours of rough sawn timber there.

I know that they tell you not to model a model, but that is a real yardstick for how to interpret newish timber with paint.

It's definitely done justice to the quality of what's beneath.

Thank you kind Sir. I have to put it down to the clever paint manufacturers though, I just waft it around.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It can take you in all sorts of daft directors:

One of the Scrapheap Challenges built one to propel a vehicle.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, figworthy said:

One of the Scrapheap Challenges built one to propel a vehicle.

Adrian

A friend and I built one about twenty years ago and due to the diameter of tube we had it ended up around six feet long. It was deafening!

Due to the council planning department not being happy with me wanting to build a doodlebug launch ramp in the garden 🤣 (spoilsports ) it gathered dust for a few years,  

I sold the remains at an autojumble to some nut that had seen one strapped to a bicycle...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Looks like a surefire candidate for a Darwin Award I'd say!

When you see some of the other contraptions he has made, it is rather amazing he has not received the award yet!

• Agree 3

Bigger and sillier than the one we made.

Rather like becoming bored with a potato cannon and deciding to build one that can fire swedes...

But that's another story.😆 

It looks like this chap made the pulse jet bicycle happen

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Sorted! Rake of Aeros complete just need a touch of weathering and a few prop crates. Livery is rather striking.

20240117_154617.jpg.218cc489daea40dc9c1378c373793753.jpg

Is that the new Network Southeast pile ointment livery? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Bigger and sillier than the one we made.

Rather like becoming bored with a potato cannon and deciding to build one that can fire swedes...

But that's another story.😆 

It looks like this chap made the pulse jet bicycle happen

I think we need a "verily the mind boggleth" button.  "Interesting / thought provoking" doesn't really cover it.

Adrian

• Funny 2

Now the crates have had a base coat and a dark coat/shade, time to lighten the mood. 

Took these pics but the differences are a little too subtle for the camera and the lighting. From case colours and shades to adding a little more shade and dirt.

DSCF0135.JPG.c3c209329c9f0a920fa1719e842872b9.JPG    DSCF0136.JPG.687f33f6d9ea63ae52e5457713626d36.JPG

From these 'darker' tones to dry brushing some new wood colour to all the crates to bring out highlights and lighten the wood, especially the newer ones.

First up the crates after receiving final dark tones, left is the old crate and right while be the newer crate.

DSCF0137.JPG.b81777371e822b40298dd6a1a29aff1b.JPG

Quite a difference for the dark crates once the highlight and lighter tones are add.  Left is before and right is after.

DSCF0138.JPG.066f2fe19fd179e7d3c79e9ec85c8259.JPG 

Almost a match for the first dirty pair.   DSCF0139.JPG.e517a2c5165ce20a17f308e4bf258b2a.JPG

The newer wood crates, this time left is highlighted and right is base darker shades and tones.

DSCF0140.JPG.d83c70679deb0efcbbd497c608c0c3fe.JPG

Now to go back and pick all the metal work out again, not so itchy as the first time around though.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have tried to get a decent picture of the near completed rake and some individuals but just do not seem to do them justice, sorry @chuffinghell. But I am sure you get the idea, some old, some new. Personally speaking these certainly out strip anything produced by commercial outfits new or old. Just hoping Uncle Steve @railtec-models is hopefully be able to produce to the finishing touches to add to each wagon. I am sure there are plenty of others out there that have these from a variety of sources that are hoping the same. 

DSCF0151.JPG.bd6e258dfdce51ffa1646aff1de763b7.JPG    DSCF0152.JPG.ea07adf2197082ce499308c55f4dbc3e.JPG

DSCF0160.JPG.6559b04aa57a28a128b37d50b805e20a.JPG    DSCF0155.JPG.80759df1c97135531ae3b0715ee7972c.JPG

DSCF0157.JPG.86de90c5b3f0c8e2cb99b5402608001b.JPG    DSCF0159.JPG.6c13c1e8c1e873c4ea008f39063092ec.JPG

Now, over to you @MrWolf 😉. Hurry up with those twiggy things are crack on with the chocolate wagons!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

Really nice job on those, I am assuming their operation would have primarily been transfer of new build propellers (presumably from whoever became Douty in Gloucester to Filton)  as opposed to delivery of replacement parts to in service aircraft (and thus would never be seen anywhere near Brent).

That said I still really want one!

Edited by The Fatadder

10 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Really nice job on those, I am assuming their operation would have primarily been transfer of new build propellers (presumably from whoever became Douty in Gloucester to Filton)  as opposed to delivery of replacement parts to in service aircraft (and thus would never be seen anywhere near Brent).

That said I still really want one!

I believe these were for the transportation of Lancaster Bomber propellers primarily but ti's the war and needs must.......right 😉