New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

So, here is the Triang Limited Edition Arm-and-a-Leg Stephenson's F*cket in all its non-operational glory.

As I say, the driving axle can be turned manually, without being prevented by the gears, so I suspect that they are not meshed, but I defer to those with greater expertise.  Here is what happens (or, rather doesn't happen), when power is applied to the track ...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Nile said:

Mine was even worse, the loco-tender drawbar was missing, two wires detached from tender, one of those also detached from inside loco. I made a repair, but it's not for the faint hearted. This is the underside of my loco now.

R_04.JPG.c76ea1af7fc17f9412debd50a580792d.JPG

The 'flexi' under the tender that the wires are soldered to can be removed. On it there are markings for M+, M- , L & R. As for working out what wire goes where, it's down to trial and error, or buzzing them out with a meter.

George Stephenson's Eagle (Adler) made by Trix also has 4 wires from the tender  identified with different colours!

See them in action on  Brunellorosso's spinning test layout at 3.41mins...

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With something this small and delicate it is almost inevitable some will suffer faults. It’s not like most have suffered this issue on here, two so far? (Considering the vitriol directed at Heljans L&B locos where various faults seemed to affect the majority of the first batch leading to re-engineering).

You are covered, but as their guarantee states it must be returned in original packing I’d suggest ringing them on Monday, voice your concern about keeping the Ltd packing and coaches and I’m sure they will find a solution. Soldering wires back on isn’t modifying it so should be acceptable but dismantling it probably isn’t if you aren’t confident you can get it back together considering the terms stated. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Hornby have been using the finger holes at the back of the packaging for as long as l can remember. I believe that it’s even more important with a model of this size. N Gauge steam locomotives are just as delicate and they can be very difficult to remove from packaging.

Warranty  returns or repairs should only be returned to Hornby if bought direct from Hornby. Otherwise speak to the retailer and they can advise. Hornby  will always give assistance to the shop in my experience and l don’t see anybody with a faulty Rocket having any issues other than initial disappointment. If returned to a retailer then l would strongly advise to return in all the original packaging. 

If in in doubt give Hornby Customer Service a call on Monday, they are really helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

I'll be totally honest; reading some of the stories above regarding the fragility and potential issues with this model I'm beginning to wonder whether I want one at all, and if Hattonsgate didn't do me a favour. My thanks though to members who have done their to assist me in locating an available model; it's much appreciated. For now, I have located and ordered a R3810, hopefully this time will not be disappointed and avoid some of the issues that it would appear many purchasers are experiencing.

With a measured response like that, you just have to be British.

Julian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Hornby's 100 old and all Rockets are sold

but some of the buyers are blue

cos when the gear in the middle refuses to twiddle

I'd say it was f**ked wouldn't you

With apologies to the unknown writer of Eskimo Nell

Reminiscent of EJ Thribb at his most "characteristic"...   :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Rocket is no more delicate than the much broken Peckett whistle, none of the most recent fine detail locos or coaches stand anything but careful handling ;) 

If you want a robust one there are plenty of the original OO ones on eBay but they run like a bag of nails compared to this new one, barring faulty ones ;) 

8 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Perhaps I would have been better off with a 1979 live steam 'Rocket.'

Even that wasn't without its faults, tractive effort on the plastic track was atrocious, it could barely haul more than one coach, and the original gas cylinder was prone to splitting.

But it definitely is more robust!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hornby have been using the finger holes at the back of the packaging for as long as l can remember.

Never come across it before.  I don't buy that much RTR, but everything Hornby I've seen recently has come in a clam-shell, including the loco in the Huntley & Palmer set, where the black foam compartments lack discrete rear finger holes. Perhaps their use here is part of the historical revival!

Still, that was not the issue for me.  The issue is that the motor turns but the wheels don't.  Do they bother to test to see if locos run before they send them off (you'd like to think so with RRP the best part of £200), or might the motor be displaced in transit? Still, that's on top of 3 out of the 4 wires wrong, 2 of the 8 pick-ups sulking at some distance from their wheels and a row of coach steps that look as if they've been applied by a drunk in a blindfold. 

I cannot honestly say I'm impressed.   

Anecdotal it may be, but of those posting here to say they've received a set, a distressingly high proportion seem to have had issues.  Such a shame. I have to think long and hard about my few RTR purchases, and, I have to say, days like today make me wonder if I should bother!  I will, of course, but perhaps not with a release like this again.  I would be better looking past the snazzy graphics and the collector-hype and thinking to myself what's actually likely to turn up; nice idea, beautiful models, but apparently beyond the scope of the factory to deliver consistently.  

Let's see what Monday brings.

In the meantime, again, if anyone can confirm that this footage is indicative of an issue with the gears not meshing, as opposed to some other mechanical issue, I'd be grateful for any insights those with greater experience can offer ....

• Informative/Useful 2

I was offered a R3809 about a week ago and hesitated because of the price (cUKP190)  and it doesn't truly grab my imagination or 'heart', remembering my Kitmaster version c1960, but then decided, 'Aha! it's rare', that'll be good,    but it was too late.... already sold.

Now I am somewhat relieved.

My heart goes out to those with faulty ones, the numbers being anecdotal notwithstanding.  I suspect many will never be run.

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Understood.  There are pick up strip to the tender axles (so the centre of the axles must be insulated). 

Thanks for your support. Fortunately, in this instance, you life does not depend upon the extent of your understanding

I'm not sure that I follow that - my simple point is that, if specifically warned against doing something by the manufacturer, there is not much point in coming to the forum after the event and complaining of the consequences of having done so.

It's not a question of support at this stage - there is nothing that your fellow members can do to undo your actions.

Sorry - and I do sympathise with your circumstances - but it is a hard lesson learned, hopefully.

John Isherwood.

Just now, Robin Brasher said:

I wonder what would happen if a collector bought one and kept it sealed in a box for ten years, then sold it at an inflated price and then the purchaser found it did not work.

Well, that has crossed my mind; how many of those being touted on Ebay for £300-400 will actually prove to work?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I was offered a R3809 about a week ago and hesitated because of the price (cUKP190)  and it doesn't truly grab my imagination or 'heart', remembering my Kitmaster version c1960, but then decided, 'Aha! it's rare', that'll be good,    but it was too late.... already sold.

Now I am somewhat relieved.

My heart goes out to those with faulty ones, the numbers being anecdotal notwithstanding.  I suspect many will never be run.

For many substitute most Rob.The very process of putting it together for operation on a layout and then reboxing it after use would irritate and put me out of patience anyway.So it would sit on track taking up much needed space.

Yours chastenly. Myopia Gnarlfinger.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'm not sure that I follow that - my simple point is that, if specifically warned against doing something by the manufacturer, there is not much point in coming to the forum after the event and complaining of the consequences of having done so.

It's not a question of support at this stage - there is nothing that your fellow members can do to undo your actions.

Sorry - and I do sympathise with your circumstances - but it is a hard lesson learned, hopefully.

John Isherwood.

John. 

First, I re-attached a couple of wires.  Some would castigate a modeller for not trying that before sending it back, rather than criticise them for doing so. If you'd read my posts as carefully as I read the Hornby advisories, you'd know that I have not done anything that needs undoing.  I believe I've fixed a couple of fixable problems only to encounter a third that I probably should not tackle. 

Second, warranty or not, I am not concerned about losing my consumer rights where a product is manifestly unfit for purpose; I didn't break the damn thing and nothing I've done has made it worse. Quite the contrary.

Third, you misconstrued the warning notice, which was (a) a recommendation, not a warranty invalidation notice, and (b) specifically related to access to the internal mechanism, which I have decided not to attempt.

If someone has imprudently rushed to correct anything today, it wasn't me!

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Does anyone actually buy at those prices ? Lord help us all if they do.

People were selling, and buying, the Bachmann C Class in fully lined Wainwright livery for £300-350.  I recall expressing disgust and incredulity at the time!

EDIT: Actually, I recall that what provoked comment was one going for £500.

Hope the buyer feels a real chump now they're being reissued!

Edited by Edwardian

I’m beginning to think I did the right thing after reading about 9 pages of problems since I first got mine last Saturday, and my first post.  I am now very happy that I returned mine to the model shop and got a full refund. Job done!

I don’t have to worry any more about the box that is too small or the steps which were broken or the missing transfer. I didn’t even bother to see if it worked or not!

Total lack of any customer service from Hornby, no warranty no spares, they deserve all the hassle they get.

We shall see how many returns Hornby get, I suspect some, possibly quite a lot of refunds will happen, which is quite sad and unsatisfying for all concerned; buyers, retailers and Hornby themselves, who contrary to sentiments sometimes expressed in some forums, are human too.. 

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Rocket is no more delicate than the much broken Peckett whistle, none of the most recent fine detail locos or coaches stand anything but careful handling ;) 

Therein lies the big elephant in the room at Margate - the must make it out of plastic  attitude to parts that are easily broken; wonder how many Rockets which work will at some point have something broken on them - that vertical part next to the chimney look a prime suspect to me and how many coaches will lose their steps.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

People were selling, and buying, the Bachmann C Class in fully lined Wainwright livery for £300-350.  I recall expressing disgust and incredulity at the time!

Yes of course But the C actually ran and was not subject to performance issues.

A quarter of a century ago,Trix ( admittedly in HO) were producing sets as seen above as illustrated by Maico.Just looked at mine in display cabinet and compared it with what I have observed here from Hornby’s Rocket.It seems that we still have a lot of catching up to do.....though the Trix has a Faulhaber motor.Coreless....shock horror !

Bachmann C class - I got mine new, priced at £38 about 18 months (possibly slightly more?) from the LT Museum during one of their clearance sales. It wasn't reduced, I just happened to spot it in amongst everything else. Oh, I nearly forgot, I got staff discount (10-15%?) off that as well! I had it stored in a R.U.Box with other items, on a shelf above the layout, but dropped the box onto the floor. Fortunately the lid stayed so, a few months later I gingerly tried putting all the bits back on. All's well that ends well, you wouldn't know the difference today!

Stewart

• Like 1