Bachmann 36-557

WIMorrison

I wonder if anyone knows whether the 21 pin Bachmann 36-557 is actually a rebadged Zimo MX638D?

I know a lot of Bachmann decoders are simply re-badged (you can see the tiny Zimo badge on the Bachmann box ) and as I cant get hold of a MX638D at the moment I was looking to see if this will work for me :)

TIA

Hi,

I think it was a Soundtraxx MC1 and is now an ESU Lokpilot Standard.

If you do online purchases Digitrains have 38 Zimo MX638Ds in stock. Coastal DCC have some as well.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought an MX638D just recently from Coastal DCC for the standard £20. They certainly do 1st class postage, and moreover they only charged postage at cost (in my case £1.26) whereas other retailers often have a fixed charge of around £4. 

• Like 1

36-557s with a green pcb and which should come in  a white box are Soundtraxx 4 function decoders

http://www.2ktechnologies.com/shop/model-railways/Bachmann-model-railway-shop/Bachmann-36-557-e-z-command-1-x-21-pin-4-function-dcc-loco-decoder-new-t48/

those with a blue pcb in a bubble on a blue card backing are ESU 4 function + 2 logic level output decoders

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/19370/Bachmann-36-557-oo-gauge-e-z-command-1-amp-4-function-21-pin-dcc-decoder-back-emf

Quite why Bachmann did not change the catalogue number is a mystery 

• Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

36-557s with a green pcb and which should come in  a white box are Soundtraxx 4 function decoders

http://www.2ktechnologies.com/shop/model-railways/Bachmann-model-railway-shop/Bachmann-36-557-e-z-command-1-x-21-pin-4-function-dcc-loco-decoder-new-t48/

those with a blue pcb in a bubble on a blue card backing are ESU 4 function + 2 logic level output decoders

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/19370/Bachmann-36-557-oo-gauge-e-z-command-1-amp-4-function-21-pin-dcc-decoder-back-emf

Because they wanted work for their support line when a customer rings up to say that the decoder is doing something weird when they've followed Bachmann's instructions precisely, but its for the other version of the same product code.

And one wonders why people say "don't trust trainset makers on DCC technology". 

- Nigel

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Dare I suggest that the lack of another stock number is as simple as purchasing thinking that one 21 pin is the same as the next 21 pin and because they could get one a few cents cheaper they changed the supply line and simply kept the number as they are 'functionally' the same and it made stock keeping simpler (and cheaper)?.

It does result in a modicum of disdain for the customer but Bachmann are not the first to change a supplier without telling the end customer - and they wont be the last :(

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

It might seem trivial, but I think this is one of the most stupid decisions I've ever come across from a model railway vendor.

54 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Dare I suggest that the lack of another stock number is as simple as purchasing thinking that one 21 pin is the same as the next 21 pin and because they could get one a few cents cheaper they changed the supply line and simply kept the number as they are 'functionally' the same and it made stock keeping simpler (and cheaper)?.

It does result in a modicum of disdain for the customer but Bachmann are not the first to change a supplier without telling the end customer - and they wont be the last :(

However, they changed the catalogue number when changing from the previous 21-pin decoder.

Note: this topic has been discussed several times here. No offence Iain, but did you do a search?