On 11/06/2020 at 16:52, JeffP said:

I admit that this has me a little confused: what is the point of someone having posted that, and reckoning it's HS2?

Not pointing the finger, just wondering what's to be gained?

The video looked suspect too.

It depends where it was originally published, in the news media it's just laziness.  The sub-editor wants a picture of earth works, so grabs the first picture with yellow things digging a cutting, we should be thankful it was in the UK.

jh

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, John Harris said:

It depends where it was originally published, in the news media it's just laziness.  The sub-editor wants a picture of earth works, so grabs the first picture with yellow things digging a cutting, we should be thankful it was in the UK.

The photos I posted here were what I saw elsewhere online.

Subsequently, following the links led to a Twitter page which included the old HS1 photo, mixed in along with the, then hot off the press, photos of the South portal site near West Hyde.

This twitter bod was indeed a journo, who had re-tweeted the photos from another twitter account, where the “ suspect photo”  was correctly labelled as showing a HS1 construction scene.

An example of how Twitter re-tweets can produce the modern day equivalent of “Chinese whispers”.

It was the only dodgy photo though.
All the others are from the last few weeks.

Also, the various bits of drone footage appearing, could hopefully be a sign that there will be plenty of amateur video and photo imagery of HS2 construction appearing across “the ‘net”,  to complement the official and industry coverage.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

I think it is a pity that, with all the recent anti-HS2 rants, that the introduction to the Aylesbury Golf Club press release still refers to "HS2 The new high speed railway in Britain".  I would have thought by now the HS2 information press releases should be playing down the high speed aspect of the story, and instead they should be promoting the easing of congestion and the improved communications the line will bring. (AM)  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

I think it is a pity that, with all the recent anti-HS2 rants, that the introduction to the Aylesbury Golf Club press release still refers to "HS2 The new high speed railway in Britain".  I would have thought by now the HS2 information press releases should be playing down the high speed aspect of the story, and instead they should be promoting the easing of congestion and the improved communications the line will bring. (AM)  

That would be a bit of a problem as it is "High Speed 2" and as a new over 160mph railway it is technically classed as "High Speed".

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

That would be a bit of a problem as it is "High Speed 2" and as a new over 160mph railway it is technically classed as "High Speed".

Doesn't mean the branding can't be updated to downplay the high speed part and somehow make it clearer the wider benefits that HS2 is going to provide.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Doesn't mean the branding can't be updated to downplay the high speed part and somehow make it clearer the wider benefits that HS2 is going to provide.

The legal name is "HS2 ltd" so I can't see them going to the trouble of changing it.

What are you going to call it? There would be more legal wranglings, dragging on for ages and costing even more cash.

• RMweb Premium

I think that the acronym HS2 is now so widely used it would be foly to abandon it. With short memories it will just become the name of the project.  Do most people know that GKN stands for Guest Keen and Nettlefold.  Atbleast the majority of people know that HS2 is about a new railway project.

Jamie

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it was intended to suggest that the company change its name, merely the slant of its promotional material to emphasise its role in providing extra capacity. Though with empty trains currently it might be best to wait a while until people are familiar again with overcrowded trains.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The legal name is "HS2 ltd" so I can't see them going to the trouble of changing it.

What are you going to call it?

'High Speed (but that's not the main reason for it) 2, or HS(btntmrfi)2' for short.......

• Funny 2

12 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Why not go for something along the lines of 'Grand Junction'?

That was taken about 180 years ago.  

We could maybe have the Charles Line, the William Line and the George Line, or are those reserved for future Crossrails?  

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I don't think it was intended to suggest that the company change its name, merely the slant of its promotional material to emphasise its role in providing extra capacity. Though with empty trains currently it might be best to wait a while until people are familiar again with overcrowded trains.

Jonathan

I was not suggesting a name change, but just as Cornelius L has set out - promoting the benefits and not the speed.  (Alisdair)

I get it - the name change thing isn't perhaps appropriate, but the main gist ought to be. But it would be simple enough to change it to HC2 (or HC1 maybe)......High Capacity. But even that is frought (fraught??) with danger, given the likely decrease in TPH being mooted.

Perhaps we are just faced with two things, whatever it is called, and howsoever the PR blurb is slanted:

1. People who didn't want it, still don't want it (with some honourable exceptions, particularly on here).

2. People who did want it, still want it, and I see no exceptions to that.

HMG have made up their minds, pretty much beyond the point of no return for Phase 1 at least, and Phase 2 has very heavy inter-reliance on the Trans-Pennine upgrade, or Northern Powerhouse, no matter how many A66's they upgrade, so it is very hard to see how, given the "levelling up" mantra persists, that anyone would cancel it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

What are you going to call it? There would be more legal wranglings, dragging on for ages and costing even more cash.

And nobody is suggesting that they change the legal name.

But if you actually went and read the PDF newsletter linked to you would see that it wasn't being used in the context of the legal name of the company.

Instead the first sentence of the first paragraph says:

"High Speed Two (HS2) is the new high speed railway for Britain."

There is no reason, as a branding exercise to help change the perception of the project, that there couldn't have been a different first sentence.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, mdvle said:

And nobody is suggesting that they change the legal name.

But if you actually went and read the PDF newsletter linked to you would see that it wasn't being used in the context of the legal name of the company.

Instead the first sentence of the first paragraph says:

"High Speed Two (HS2) is the new high speed railway for Britain."

There is no reason, as a branding exercise to help change the perception of the project, that there couldn't have been a different first sentence.

Which is what I was trying to say in my first posting on the Golf Club press release.  (Alisdair)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

That was taken about 180 years ago.  

It could be the third (?) use of the name as the GJ Railway nicked it from the canal built some 30-40+ years earlier

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Perhaps you would like to suggest one of similar length, give the document is not marketing as such but information for nearby residents and golfers.

When it opens then the marketing is going to be all about speed. As it should be, since that's what will separate it from the alternative options. In that sense it's probably better for people to know that it's a high speed railway that's being built.

The reason to build it is capacity, but the reason to use it when it's open will be speed.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

When it opens then the marketing is going to be all about speed. As it should be, since that's what will separate it from the alternative options. In that sense it's probably better for people to know that it's a high speed railway that's being built.

The reason to build it is capacity, but the reason to use it when it's open will be speed.

Travel companies often advertise that they've increased capacity on a route, particularly one that has a reputation for being busy so people might be concerned about getting a seat.  It's also possible (no decisions made yet) that peak-time fares could be reduced, as these are currently set at a level that suppresses demand at these times to approximately match the capacity available.  

• Like 1

My neighbour was asked by a friend who is a ontractor for HS2 if he wanted work for a couple of months driving a tractor with an attchment for grinding out tree roots between Missenden and Bicester.He is not going to do it as the farm he used to work on has asked him to help with the harvest a much better job.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1