EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

52 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Grahame, glad to see the return of the 2021 to the workbench. I like the silhouette cut footplate - that looks rather good. 

Thank you Neil, I need to do some finesse-ing with the footplate but overall I too am pleased with the way it has turned out, also a lot less trouble than a brass scratch built one ( I can also confirm that the strength is there when attached to the brass chassis ).

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bgman said:

The Milky Bar Kid G.W.R. Loco is Strong and Tough .......

After approximately a year of very little modelling activities I have resurrected my 2021 Class project and trial fitting of various parts thereon.

(Apologies if it has featured in this thread previously)

I have placed an order with Laurie Griffin to replace some of the white metal parts on the tank and will start to motorise the chassis once other parts arrive.

Here she is Nestle-ing in an unassembled state to give an idea of the current build with my replacement footplate build using the Silhouette cutter, which I have found to be a useful aid again following the original "banana" shaped resin casting that was beyond repair.

IMG_4502.jpeg.025cb9838336481857485ca28f6eb300.jpeg

G

That's straight out of Quality Street, that is. I bet you feel a right Smartie having made that footplate. It certainly looks a very nice Kit (Kat).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, so nice to see the return of 2021 :good:

Glad to see you picking it up again, Grahame. Slow and easy is what works for me after modelling "downtime".

Edited by Mikkel
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame, glad to hear that it works nicely. I may attempt something similar as I've got an Underhill 850 Pannier kit to build and there are some issues with the alignment of footplate and frames of it. 

42 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Thanks Grahame, glad to hear that it works nicely. I may attempt something similar as I've got an Underhill 850 Pannier kit to build and there are some issues with the alignment of footplate and frames of it. 

Hi Neil,

This is also an Eric Underhill kit which due to the issues found with the resin casting of the footplate was not recoverable**, even using the hot-is water trick of carefully bending back into shape. I took the view that it could possibly deform again in time and not wanting to take the risk I took direct measurements and transferred them onto the Silhouette CAD software.

Even with careful tightening of the nuts and bolts which attach the body to it I wasn't convinced it would remain stable.

The plasticard alternative as previously mentioned has been through varying temperature ranges and has stood up very well and attached to the brass mainframes gives it good stability. I suppose when you consider that many RTR locos now being produced are also in that sort of category then I don't mind trying it on this project.

I hope all turns out well with your 850 Pannier.

G

** bought cheaply knowing it had issues but worth a punt !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

NOT Laura Kenny ! ( Shame she didn't manage another medal )

Back for a latte at Lympstone Quay today and giving my steed a shakedown in between the glorious Devon liquid sunshine !

IMG_4531.jpg.fdb1db058980a4eba35efe2812e4179c.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg.06f05f9b15405e1590d6a53e386954b3.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg.f053d39854b22732f87c7158b9b25a44.jpg

• Like 14

A Sunday Evening ride ( which might involve some wooly tails ! )

A quick stop at Powderhan to have a chat with some wooly friends....

IMG_4533.jpg.f14c519918f189749e0bdcb7fd4097e1.jpg

Next stop Cockwood Harbour....

IMG_4538.jpeg.dcf6223f2e0e91acccd071ee2a9a121d.jpeg

And finally Dawlish beach.....IMG_4536.JPG.jpeg.4262a0d9a7b73bcea5602663b821205e.jpeg

A very pleasant evening it was too ! 

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

See you have done some mods to the bike too.

Cheers, Ade.

Different bike Ade......I am a naughty boy ! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hello BG I was on the point of getting the e-bike we were discussing but I backed out got cold feet over the 750W. 

I've now sold my old one and ordered a belt driven Gates Carbon Drive [www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/ebikes] single speed one intending to do more canal side and track riding, not mountain riding.  No Derailleur gears to worry about either.

It will mean me having to pedal more but hey i want to get a little fitter.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Hello BG I was on the point of getting the e-bike we were discussing but I backed out got cold feet over the 750W. 

I've now sold my old one and ordered a belt driven Gates Carbon Drive [www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/ebikes] single speed one intending to do more canal side and track riding, not mountain riding.  No Derailleur gears to worry about either.

It will mean me having to pedal more but hey i want to get a little fitter.

Glad that you've found something suitable, especially with the carbon drive belt. It should give you many miles of trouble / maintenance free riding. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Topsham Terrors  (With one on the Top Tube ! ) 

What a brilliant afternoon having bumped into my daughter and eldest grandson we / he decided it was about time to go on Grandads bike..... so off we went bring laughter and fun to ourselves and others on the cycle route under the railway bridge with the little one letting everyone know " Look Out I'm on my Grandads Bike and it's electric ! " at the top of his voice, who needs a bell :yahoo:

Such simple fun away from the models for the afternoon.

IMG_4567.jpeg.56a0c5dbc640c705c3c232534e045f54.jpeg

G

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A Complete Change of plan & Bike (replacement) ! Brief update.

For various reasons I have decided to alter my initial  track plan for the proposed layout.

During my time away from modelling ( which has been extremely useful and enjoyable ) I have had lots of thoughts based upon the room I have available. Using Templot to "sketch" out a plan and printing it out plus using some of my handbuilt points and the odd Peco point ** I have finalised my ideas.    

** these will be replaced with more handbuilt ones.

It will be a simple plan which will be Helston-esque in style and it will suit my available space together with some "play value" for me.

By using points based on the Peco items in certain areas I will gain some useful space and having done a dry run my stock works fine I'm pleased to say. That said I have been mulling over the use of new boards based upon Mr.Gravetts' lightweight ones. I have made a fiddle yard board and if I make the main boards light enough then I will be able to set the whole layout up in the sitting room without a struggle + fiddle yard, well I ain't getting any younger ! 

I have recommenced some of the loco builds having now received the various items I ordered ( hopefully a new motor and gearbox combo arriving tomorrow for my 517 Class build - I will post progress when it has progressed and running ).

Excuse the quality of the photographs below, taken more for my records and taken on my iPhone....

IMG_4588.jpeg.22440c4f17caf520425df5e5ebaf8359.jpeg

IMG_4589.jpeg.ad2e1894411523a01887139fac60118f.jpeg

Further to modelling I have taken delivery of a replacement bike this afternoon.

The grey framed one shown in previous posts had a few issues and having contacted the retailer it was replaced without question.

I was asked if I wanted the same colour and if so there would be a wait, but if I was happy to have the green framed version then it would be delivered today. 

Well, as it happens it was my second choice but when it arrived I was very pleased and in my mind it's GWR Green ! Really chuffed !!! 

A shakedown ride was done this evening to Hexmuff and here she is next to the seafront .....

IMG_4594-1.jpeg.b59e90e3ec4ff5287349ded6acd511d4.jpeg

An earlier pit stop was made at Lympstone Quay......

IMG_4591-1.jpeg.12925ed41ad8e95a43bde81a9329b35e.jpeg

Until next time......

G

Edited by bgman
a letter
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

Looking good G.

Is the new e-bike belt driven, can't see any derailleur gearing.  My new one not yet here is also belt driven single gearing.

I do like the layout plan it has possibilities.

Best 

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Looking good G.

Is the new e-bike belt driven, can't see any derailleur gearing.  My new one not yet here is also belt driven single gearing.

I do like the layout plan it has possibilities.

Best 

Hi B,

No it is a single hub and chain driven with a single hub gear and regen plus braking when peddled backwards.

Thank you for you comment on the layout too, I have decided to keep it all simple as an end of line station ( building to be decided ).

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, bgman said:

For various reasons I have decided to alter my initial  track plan for the proposed layout.

I built a layout to that track plan, minus the loco shed road, and found it to be very satisfying to operate. You will enjoy it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, Regularity said:

I built a layout to that track plan, minus the loco shed road, and found it to be very satisfying to operate. You will enjoy it.

Thank you, that gives me some hope ! 

• Like 2

Initial running of the 517 build

Having received a Slaters SG38 gearbox and motor yesterday I did an install and test of the loco which is still incomplete with cab / bunker only resting on the body / footplate along with the boiler elements.

The initial run seems promising and I have taken a short video of her on the third run.

Lots more to do yet but a promising few runs.

Onwards and upwards ! 

G

• Like 10