• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

In terms of the accuracy of the Bachmann 37424 model, it's not necessarily just the accuracy which I want 

. I have got a few other models on my wishlist including the TPE MK5s by Accurascale and the Network Rail and ScotRail MK2fs by Hornby.  

You often go on about accuracy and then let yourself down by mentioning Hornby Network Rail Mk2s......

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You often go on about accuracy and then let yourself down by mentioning Hornby Network Rail Mk2s......

No they aren't the best are they, although for what they cost I aren't complaining. My measurement train is more of a novelty item really, will be 3 Hornby 2Fs and a Bachmann MK1 but I know neither are true to real life. The windows are the obvious ones but there will be other stuff no doubt!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

No they aren't the best are they, although for what they cost I aren't complaining. My measurement train is more of a novelty item really, will be 3 Hornby 2Fs and a Bachmann MK1 but I know neither are true to real life. The windows are the obvious ones but there will be other stuff no doubt!

You could always do some modelling.............................  :jester:

• Funny 3

46 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You could always do some modelling.............................  :jester:

I don't think I'd be practicing on them at £30 a pop!

One day I probably will TBH. I just don't trust myself yet and haven't got the gear.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I don't think I'd be practicing on them at £30 a pop!

One day I probably will TBH. I just don't trust myself yet and haven't got the gear.

Airfix Mk2s - tenner max.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Half-full said:

I resprayed it to 37402 in Intercity Mainline livery c1990 condition

Sold the loco too, for more than I paid for the whole set.  I reckon I doubled my money by the time I sold the loco, Vulcans and box!

That's excellent and I suppose that's the bonus with this particular set, because the other items will hold the value of the set overall, even if the value of the loco falls. I do like the Intercity Mainline livery, especially on the DRS 37419. 

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

742Yes I think they are the ones I would have after the 97301 and 37608 I have on pre order, and the 37419 and 37425 I am likely to pre order. I have 2 DRS 68s and 2 Colas 37s though so not that much for 2 DRS 37s to do TBH as the 68s will do nukes (if I get the wagons) and Colas can do the measurement trains! I know 419 and 425 are DRS but its the BR liveries I like.

They are really good choices. 37608 is a definite for me, but I am undecided on 97301, just because the real life loco never seems to move much. I have searched through Flickr and it has only worked two or three times on the mainline since 2018. So I have been thinking do I actually need this one considering that none of the four Network Rail 97/3s work test trains on a regular basis anymore.  Most test trains are operated with DRS or Colas 37s, with the HNRC or previously seen EP 37s thrown in occasionally for good measure. 

To be honest and this is partly where my difficulty in choosing lies, all of the 37s announced by Accurascale are very nice, especially the modern variants. I already have 409, 419 & 425 in DRS Compass, but the Accurascale retro liveries are very tempting. Decisions, decisions. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

That's very true, but I don't know enough about the Network Rail coaching stock to actually know the differences, so what I don't know won't hurt me haha. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That's very true, but I don't know enough about the Network Rail coaching stock to actually know the differences, so what I don't know won't hurt me haha. 

The main thing is that instead of filling the windows in as per the real coach, Hornby and Bachmann for that matter on mk1s fill from the inside with a solid window, but this is because of what's practical and cost effective really.

Although I think if somebody did tool the MK2s or Mk3s "properly" I bet they'd sell well. Whether they'd be viable or not though is another matter as there would be a lot of tooling variations.

Guest Half-full
11 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

There are a lot of differences, very individual vehicles, have a look at @newbryford thread and learn a bit about them, it might even encourage you to have a go!

No greater satisfaction than seeing something that you have created yourself, and its a lot cheaper than you would think!

Upfront cost of an airbrush/compressor/modelling tools and materials/paint/decals and a couple of old coaches to practice on would be the same as a new loco - and you'd be supporting some cottage industries!

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The main thing is that instead of filling the windows in as per the real coach, Hornby and Bachmann for that matter on mk1s fill from the inside with a solid window, but this is because of what's practical and cost effective really.

Although I think if somebody did tool the MK2s or Mk3s "properly" I bet they'd sell well. Whether they'd be viable or not though is another matter as there would be a lot of tooling variations.

I see what you mean. Hornby have probably got the market spot on with these at around £32 per coach, even if they are not correct. As you say, it would probably never be viable for a manufacturer to accurately produce each individual coach and even if it was the cost of each coach would likely be very high to reflect such different and complex tooling, and even then would people in their thousands pay this. 

6 hours ago, Half-full said:

There are a lot of differences, very individual vehicles, have a look at @newbryford thread and learn a bit about them, it might even encourage you to have a go!

No greater satisfaction than seeing something that you have created yourself, and its a lot cheaper than you would think!

Upfront cost of an airbrush/compressor/modelling tools and materials/paint/decals and a couple of old coaches to practice on would be the same as a new loco - and you'd be supporting some cottage industries!

I have to say I have viewed Mick's thread before, but I have never studied the Network Rail stock that he models, thoroughly. As you say, this could be something for me to look at so that I can start to learn of just some of the differences between the different coaches. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2020 at 17:16, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Danny,

No problem at all.

Yes, this is pretty much the last of them that we will announce for run one. There may be one more loco, but we are not sure yet.

We envisage all the locos coming together. The recent corona virus fall out is pushing the 37s into early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran, 

I hope you are all well? 

I just have a few questions regarding the OO Gauge Class 37s. 

Is their going to be an additional Class 37 announced as part of batch one? If so do you know when this will be announced? I ask because I have decided which Class 37s I would like, but if another one is to be produced in batch one and it's one that I would like to buy, I may have to shuffle my wishlist around. 

Also will all of the DCC lighting features on the Class 37s be able to be operated using a standard Bachmann 21 Pin DCC Decoder (Product Code 36-557)? I ask because I mostly use Bachmann DCC Decoders for locomotives and I need to buy some more for some locos I already have, so I may decide to buy them for the Accurascale 37s as well, so I have the decoders ready to fit when they arrive. 

Lastly, will the 'stay alive' system which allows uninterrupted running, lighting, sound etc over dirty track work on the Class 37s regardless of which DCC Decoders customers choose to fit?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Fran, 

I hope you are all well? 

I just have a few questions regarding the OO Gauge Class 37s. 

Is their going to be an additional Class 37 announced as part of batch one? If so do you know when this will be announced? I ask because I have decided which Class 37s I would like, but if another one is to be produced in batch one and it's one that I would like to buy, I may have to shuffle my wishlist around. 

Also will all of the DCC lighting features on the Class 37s be able to be operated using a standard Bachmann 21 Pin DCC Decoder (Product Code 36-557)? I ask because I mostly use Bachmann DCC Decoders for locomotives and I need to buy some more for some locos I already have, so I may decide to buy them for the Accurascale 37s as well, so I have the decoders ready to fit when they arrive. 

Lastly, will the 'stay alive' system which allows uninterrupted running, lighting, sound etc over dirty track work on the Class 37s regardless of which DCC Decoders customers choose to fit?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny,

1. There will be one more loco announced very soon.

2. Once the decoder has the right amount of functions it should work all lighting features. We will be recommending an ESU decoder once the circuit board is tested.

3. Correct, it will work with all DCC decoders.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Once the decoder has the right amount of functions it should work all lighting features. We will be recommending an ESU decoder once the circuit board is tested.

Oooh, how many functions are there going to be? I hope each light group can be run by its own function as per the Hattons 66.

If going down the V5 route, can I suggest not requiring the MKL version, the standard (i.e. logical AUX3 and AUX4) are far easier to get hold of.

Hattons' 66 requires MKL decoders which is a downside for me.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Danny,

1. There will be one more loco announced very soon.

2. Once the decoder has the right amount of functions it should work all lighting features. We will be recommending an ESU decoder once the circuit board is tested.

3. Correct, it will work with all DCC decoders.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran, 

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. 

I am assuming that the new 37 will be announced via RMWeb, so I will keep a look out. 

I will hold off buying any decoders for the Accurascale 37s for the moment then and I will wait to see what you recommend regarding ESU decoders. 

That's an excellent function and something that many locos don't have. 

Thank you for all of the help. 

Stay safe. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I presume the Rails Exclusive 37610 is not that loco? Although if anything it's just spoiling me for choice now!

Hi Tom,

It is said loco, I did say very soon after all!

Thanks,

Fran

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wasn't sure with it being an exclusive if that's what you meant.

Cheers!

No problem, when it's someone else's announcement you have to be suitably vague sometimes! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think this question has been asked elsewhere, if it has I apologise.

Regarding the ploughs on the 37s, will they be pre-fitted where appropriate or fitted by the user dependent on personal choice, Also will the ploughs be fitted to the bogie like the standard version supplied by another manufacturer or will they fit to the bufferbeam?