jrb

JSModels - New 'Waterside' Range

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Very good addition to the range Jonathan, any plans to do these in Brick too?

Mark

Thank you Mark,

Theoretically they could be done in brick (I've taken the brick dimensions into account when designing these, unlike the first kit!) but it might be a way off yet. I'll see how it goes, the more people that ask for something, the more likely it is to happen.

Jonathan

JSModels

Edited by jrb

As per your low relief ones i'm going to have, id probably be interested in the ends in brick at some point in the future if you did.

Mark

• Like 1

You may have noticed this page has been a little quiet lately...

I've not been posting any updates recently simply because, unfortunately, there's nothing to update! I've been struggling to get some supplies in, with one supplier in particular being behind schedule (not helped by Royal Mail losing one shipment, and then a different courier losing the replacement shipment a couple of weeks later! :angry:)

At the moment I have very few kits in stock; I'm hoping to have new stock of the current kits available in 2-3 weeks, along with pictures of the first examples of the new canalside warehouse kits. Stock on those will hopefully follow a couple of weeks later.

On a more positive note however, I had a nice drive out the other day to look at a new laser-cutting machine... :D

Thank you all for your patience & support!

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jonathan,

I am going to wait until you have canal warehouse front buildings; they look great.

Regards,

Alastair

• Like 1

Interesting developments here at JSModels – thanks to Phil Parker’s excellent article in the July edition of BRM, I’m completely out of stock of ALL my kits! I’ve got a limited quantity which will be available soon, but not enough to cover all the orders/reservations I’ve received over the past week or so.

A brand-new laser-cutter is on order, which will enable me to produce the kits 100% in-house, but unfortunately that’s still a few weeks away. I should be fully up to speed with production on existing products, and have stock available on the website, by the end of July. The new ‘waterside’ series of kits will be available from 1st August.

In the meantime, I’m working on designs for several new products as well as a couple of commissions...

Jonathan
JSModels

Oculus6090.jpg

Buchshee3DModelComp.jpg

Composite1000.jpg

• Like 8

Exciting times Jonathan. https://www.jsmodels.co.uk/ seems to be down at the moment? Do you have a new address or is this a temporary issue?

Best wishes

Alastair

Jonathan,

Great News, I’m glad your kits are getting recognition that they deserve, can’t wait to get my hands on some for Peartree Green and they will be fully worth the wait! 

Mark 

On 22/06/2020 at 16:16, A Murphy said:

Exciting times Jonathan. https://www.jsmodels.co.uk/ seems to be down at the moment? Do you have a new address or is this a temporary issue?

Best wishes

Alastair

Alastair,

No, the website is working fine, don't know why you're having any issues? The link in your post works...

Jonathan

JSModels

Here's the first test cut/assembly of oneof the five new 'waterside' kits:

JSM43Composite.jpg.420770fb532df7fc36f107d5b753c4fd.jpg

This is JSM43 'Canal Warehouse End 1', which, along with the other 4 new kits, will be available from the 1st August.

The kit is laser-cut from 2mm and 3mm MDF, with pre-cut card strips for the roof slates (note that the slates shown are cut in white, but will be in dark grey for production kits).

Doors and windows are all separate & removable for easier painting, and doors can be shown open or closed.

Dimensions are 145mm wide, 245mm high, and 20mm deep (40mm with the loading hood). Price at launch will be £20.00.

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

In addition to the kit pictured in my previous post, I have now completed the 'first build' of the other 4 kits in the new 'Waterside' range, so here's a quick pic of each.

First up, JSM13 'Canal Warehouse Front':

JSM13_01.jpg.1c9f963b8e828cbe0f5b7461401eb00f.jpg

JSM23, 'Canal Warehouse Back 1':

JSM23_02.jpg.7686cd316c2a1eea255dd0c83bed25a1.jpg

JSM33 'Canal Warehouse Back 2':

JSM33_02.jpg.b2608c7b29dcee4d68404d5bb2a17335.jpg

JSM43 'Canal Warehouse End 1':

JSM43_03.jpg.8886f97cf243ab9c1ae812c5253350bd.jpg

And lastly, JSM53 'Canal Warehouse End 2':

JSM53_02.jpg.786e7b9c2bb6ada87a51311dae3e9c74.jpg

All the kits are laser-cut from 2mm & 3mm MDF and feature separate, removable window & door frames for easier painting, alternate doors for fitting in either open or closed positions, glazing material (not shown fitted in above images), pre-cut slate strips for roofing (shown in white, but will be dark grey in production kits) and blanking panels which can be fitted in place of any of the windows.

More pictures of each kit are now up on my website or my Facebook page.

Kits will be available from 1st August.

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 4

I spent a few hours over the weekend painting one of the prototype builds for the new waterside kits. I decided to try Phil Parker's method as detailed in his review of another of my kits; grey primer, then various browns & greys sponged on, then standard plaster/filler for the mortar lines:

JSM43Composite2.jpg.6fdf9b9e52bb9edc61206396e42c7239.jpg

Very happy with the results!

I did make one change to Phil's method - he recommended rubbing the filler in dry, then misting water on afterwards. I tried this but without much success, so instead mixed a small amount of filler to a cream-like consistency, and rubbed that in with my finger. The rubbing action picked some pigment up from the sponged-on colours, resulting in the filler being slightly off-white (I don't think I'd left the paint long enough to dry fully) but I don't think that's a bad thing. A wooden manicure stick (a bit like a large cocktail stick) was used to pick away any large build-ups around the cills & in the corners of the window/door openings before it fully dried. The following day a quick rub with a finger and a bit of green scouring pad (used very lightly) took off any loose bits of plaster that had dried on the surface.

The gutters either side were quickly shaped/carved from a square section cut off a lolly stick; the downpipe is from 1.6mm styrene rod, with 3D printed collars & elbows. The door knob is a dressmaking pin.

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Jonathan.

Have now finished the large factory/warehouse kit you sent me recently. A superb kit, and large, there is nothing like these kits on the market. Also very sturdy. This is a photo of it on my current layout. I adapted the loading Bay Area slightly . Painting was grey undercoat followed by a suede type paint ( just what BRM said not to do) which gave a nice stone texture, finally rubbed over with a cloth and a minimal amount of Matt black.

you are to be congratulated on an excellent product, beautifully packaged with excellent instructions, which fills a huge gap in the model railway market.

DBCBD1A2-CF37-4ACB-B793-39502E7078FF.jpeg

A0758AFA-B3C6-45F0-8393-EA016E1B21C3.jpeg

• Like 7