Hornby Mk3 Coach - How to open

reggie

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I don't find the search function on RM Web very useful.

Anyway, I would like to install lighting/passengers on my new Hornby Mk3 TSO Coaches, but not sure how to get it apart, and don't

want to risk breaking it! Any advice/instruction would be most appreciated.

I do think it's time manufacturers put instructions on how to open coaches in the box, like they do with locos, as many people now want to fit 

lighting/passengers.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, reggie said:

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I don't find the search function on RM Web very useful.

Anyway, I would like to install lighting/passengers on my new Hornby Mk3 TSO Coaches, but not sure how to get it apart, and don't

want to risk breaking it! Any advice/instruction would be most appreciated.

I do think it's time manufacturers put instructions on how to open coaches in the box, like they do with locos, as many people now want to fit 

lighting/passengers.

Thanks 

It depends on the type of coach as alot of Hornby coaches use the old Lima tooling which are fixed together differently. Usually you can tell the difference between the Lima tooling mk3s and Hornby as the Lima have a texture on the underside and Hornby are smooth.

Anyway the Hornby mk3s are held together with 4 clips, two either side of the coach. 

With the Lima tooling mk3s the roof unclips with the removal of the coach ends and lightly pushing the windows in until they can clear the bodywork. 

I believe that's how it's done but it would be best to wait for another reply to be sure

Hornby scale length (but not necessarily newer super details); gently insert a small flat screwdriver or blunted craft knife between the chassis and body from underneath, there are clips which hold the chassis/seating unit onto lugs located in the glazing but below the visible window line. Once you've got it started the others should follow, you may split one or more of the bits on the bottom of the glazing during this process but it doesn't matter if you do as they are not visible and the chassis stays in place perfectly well without all clips intact.

If it's a "Limby" (eg HST TGS, Sleeper or any of the buffet cars with FOUR large saloon windows down each side) then it's the old Lima method but with a bit more determination, I can talk you through that but it needs some bravery on Limby stuff as the glazing is more flush than original Lima versions.

• Agree 1

If in LNER livery I'd assume they are scale length Hornby so are opened as above EXCEPT the TGS/Coach B which will be Limby. To open that one is more complex;

1) take the ends off, they should just unclip if you put a flat screwdriver behind them from underneath

2) Carefully insert a blunt craft knife along the top of the coach from one end, this goes just above the cantrail stripe

3) Use the blade to prise the bodyside away from the combined roof/glazing unit and insert a little bit of cardboard to stop the glazing going back into the bodyshell

4) Work your way along with the blunt blade or small flat screwdriver opening up the bodyside away from the glazing and insert another bit of card every 3 or 4 cm until you reach the other end. You should then have about 6-8 bits of card roughly evenly spaced between the glazing and the bodyshell

5) Repeat on the other side

6) Push the whole roof/glazing section up away from the bodyshell with a thumb on either end where the little bit of glazing covers the gangway end windows, it should slide up if you've used enough little bits of cardboard to prevent any of the glazing from "engaging" with the bodyshell.

Good luck! This was OK and a two minute job once you got the knack on a proper Lima one and then Hornby made it hard with their flusher glazing so it's a bit of a task now.

On 15/04/2020 at 08:35, reggie said:

Most of them are the Hornby, as per your posts, was a doddle to take apart and I fitted the coach lights, the Lima one has not been attempted yet!

Thanks again to you both for your help.

What coach lights are you using Reggie? Are they battery operated or have you fitted pickups?

Hi bart2day

I've gone for battery operated with reed switch by layouts4U, easy to fit and work great. 

I've used the pick-up ones before and have found the wiring through the bogey can sometimes  cause problems around curves etc.

• 6 months later...
On 22/04/2020 at 09:37, reggie said:

Hi bart2day

I've gone for battery operated with reed switch by layouts4U, easy to fit and work great. 

I've used the pick-up ones before and have found the wiring through the bogey can sometimes  cause problems around curves etc.

I looked at their website as am interested in doing the same. Silly question - is the battery holder inside the coach so requires the body removed to replace batteries as and when required?

Steve S

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I looked at their website as am interested in doing the same. Silly question - is the battery holder inside the coach so requires the body removed to replace batteries as and when required?

Steve S

Yes it is inside. Should be easy enough to add some extra wires to place the battery underneath the chassis. Might need to cut a hole into the chassis box and place the battery into there. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2020 at 23:01, SteveyDee68 said:

Steve S

Hi Steve,

Yes I fit the battery holder in the coach, the batteries should last a long time - if you remember to turn them off! Getting into the coach is a 2 mn job, so no hassle - other coaches may not be so easy!

Gave this a go yesterday but I think they're too well joined to get apart.

Shame really as I had built the stay alive capacitors and ordered the hundreds of people ready to fit to two sets.

I may come back to them again in the future though but without pictures, I'm still worried my latest September release of the INTERCITY coaches won't be the same.

I know there's this: http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-43nmt/index-coaches.htm

But I'm still not convinced at butchering mine - I'm kak-handed at the simplest of tasks.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2020 at 17:03, Sir TophamHatt said:

To add some more info on this:

Turns out all but the TGS can be opened in the normal way.

The TGS is another matter on both the INTERCITY and Midland Mainline (old livery) versions.

They seem very much glued on, but strange that it's just this one coach out the lot.

You have to use the old Lima method but with a bit more bravery and bits of cardboard to open the TGS, or indeed ANY Limby Mk3. I got my IC Swallow one open using this method and without cutting the coach in half as crazily suggested by the NMT link. The combined roof and glazing section has not been glued onto the body on either the IC Swallow or the FGW Barbie Limby TGS vehicles I own (or on the RFM I took apart) so I'd be surprised if it has been on other releases.

Step 1- take off ends

Step 2- carefully insert a blunt knife or thin screwdriver between the roof and body

Step 3- stretch body out away from the roof/glazing unit

Step 4- insert a bit of thin card between the body and the glazing. Bit of a cereal packet cut up is ideal

Step 5- work your way along body and repeat. Lima only needs one every other pillar, Limby will need more

Step 6- repeat steps 2-5 on the other side of the coach

Step 7- push the roof/glazing unit up simultaneously at both ends

Step 8- (not illustrated)- send me some £££  for the advice!!

zLima coach open stage 1.JPG

zLima coach open stage 2.JPG

zLima coach open stage 3.JPG

zLima coach open stage 4.JPG

zLima coach open stage 5.JPG

zLima coach open stage 6.JPG

zLima coach open stage 7.JPG

On 10/12/2020 at 20:51, Sir TophamHatt said:

I suppose another question is why the TGS is moulded so differently to the rest of the coaches.

Even the buffet coach comes apart like all the others.

Because the TGS is the Lima moulding repurposed by Hornby, hence "Limby". The Mk3 sleepers and the RFM (and all four large window caterers) are also the same. Hornby "scale length" as developed c2001 only did a TS/TSO, TF/FO and a TRFB so until they rescued the TGS moulding from the Lima skip it wasn't possible to complete a HST in any post Lima livery!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 13:31, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Step 1- take off ends

Step 2- carefully insert a blunt knife or thin screwdriver between the roof and body

Step 3- stretch body out away from the roof/glazing unit

Step 4- insert a bit of thin card between the body and the glazing. Bit of a cereal packet cut up is ideal

Step 5- work your way along body and repeat. Lima only needs one every other pillar, Limby will need more

Step 6- repeat steps 2-5 on the other side of the coach

Step 7- push the roof/glazing unit up simultaneously at both ends

Step 8- (not illustrated)- send me some £££  for the advice!!

zLima coach open stage 1.JPG

zLima coach open stage 2.JPG

zLima coach open stage 3.JPG

zLima coach open stage 4.JPG

zLima coach open stage 5.JPG

zLima coach open stage 6.JPG

zLima coach open stage 7.JPG

This is super useful-thanks. Any idea how to get the chassis off? I want to transplant a Lima TGS body onto a Hornby (Limby) TGS chassis. 

21 hours ago, miles73128 said:

This is super useful-thanks. Any idea how to get the chassis off? I want to transplant a Lima TGS body onto a Hornby (Limby) TGS chassis. 

Just unclips, it looks like there are a lot of clips but most don't do anything, one in each corner and two in the middle of the coach. They should be exactly the same as the body mouldings are identical.