HO SBB depot layout Abgestumpft Einfältig

bantam61668

Thought it's about time I shared some pictures of my very much slow work in progress SBB layout Abgestumpft Einfältig. Its HO gauge, uses Peco code 75 track, most stock is Roco but with some from the usual other manufacturers, DCC control using a Roco Z21.

It's not based anywhere in particular but is generally in the Bern/Lötschberg area around 2010 and measures 9'6x2 ft. Its certainly not based on any particular prototype but takes bits of inspiration form numerous locations (Luzern, Brugg, Brig etc). Still lots of work to do but with me been stuck in the house I've made more progress over the last month than the previous 2 years!

Currently getting on with laying the hard standing around the turn table and scratchbuilding a roundhouse type building loosely based on Brig.

SBB-P DSC_7461 Lötschberg DSC_5930 DSC_7448

Edited by bantam61668
Typo
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, bantam61668 said:

The overheads fill me with dread as I've never attempted them before. Sommerfeldt produce a spider for the turntable but it comes at a price......

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Accessories/Catenary/Sommerfeldt-162/gb/modell_76597.html

Let me assure you that the price of buying will be less than the cost of the associated therapy following installation! Marklin do a decent jig for positioning masts and overhead wires, worth investing in rather than the bit of junk Sommerfeld offer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Frutigen said:

Lovely job. I think I spy a bit of Spiez in that retaining wall with houses peeping over. 

I can’t have done too bad a job then, the retaining wall is indeed based on the one at Spiez we’ll spotted, still need to get some plants climbing up it 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Bantam. I love your collections of locos

modellbahnshop-lippe are excellent to deal with and reasonably competitively priced. Before this dreadful situation I managed to get my order of Sommerfeldt kit at a cheaper price than direct. I used to get some limited Sommerfeldt from Blackwells of Hawkwell but the seem to have stopped stocking it. I've just discovered that Model Masters stock it.

https://modelmasters.co.uk/collections/sommerfeldt

Here's the link to the Märklin mast positioning tool. MBS-lippe stock it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=BOoC3XluvvQ&feature=emb_logo

Being unfamiliar with the Swiss prototype I found the Sommerfeld instruction manual very helpful beside being a good read (or rather a 'look at' as my German is not what I would like it to be!) https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Media+%2F+Catalogs/Catalogs/Sommerfeldt-002/gb/modell_83721.html It could be available from Model Masters.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150631-rüthi-rheintal-sbb-industrial-shunting-layout/

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some recent progress on the freight facilities on the layout to add a bit of shunting interest, a simple low relief warehouse to help hide the fiddle yard, this is a kit bash form a Pikestuff distribution depot. Also a short siding along the front of the layout with a fuel unloading point and Kibri crane, inspired by the siding at the south end of Silenen station

DSC_7480

DSC_7479 DSC_7478 DSC_7477

DSC_7483

Edited by bantam61668
Correction
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, michl080 said:

you really want to keep this name for the layout?

:unsure:

Michael

Yes, it comes from an argument with a railway journalist who accused me and some friends of been “jaded and fatuous” for preferring the loco hauled trains of Europe to the latest multiple units in the UK. It was the closest I could come up with to a German translation, you won’t find any units on this layout!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, bantam61668 said:

[...] it comes from an argument with a railway journalist who accused me and some friends of been “jaded and fatuous” for preferring the loco hauled trains of Europe to the latest multiple units in the UK.

I get it. I am a native German speaker and whenever I read the title of this thread, it's like a punch in the gut. It sounds VERY negative.  btw., that journalist was a very biasses a**h**e. :rolleyes:

Michael

16 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Looking good, are you putting the OHLE up?

Thanks

Neil

I plan to eventually, the idea fills me with dread though never having attempted it. Still a way to go before I get that far, currently working on signalling and detailing having just bought some Schneider ground signals, dummy point motors etc. Also I haven't really started the area beyond the turntable, need to finish off the hard standing here then scratchbuild a semi roundhouse shed which will be based loosely on the one at Brig.

• 3 weeks later...

Your layout looks outstanding. I love the Roco Re 420's, and I have one myself for an SBB consist. Very nice runner and I love the sound.

I just checked out SwissModelRail. They seem to have everything that no one else carries. I was especially looking for fencing used on the RhB and they do indeed have it. Also many catenary accessories no one else has.

Great looking shop. How fast is their shipping and who do they use for shipping?

5 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Your layout looks outstanding. I love the Roco Re 420's, and I have one myself for an SBB consist. Very nice runner and I love the sound.

I just checked out SwissModelRail. They seem to have everything that no one else carries. I was especially looking for fencing used on the RhB and they do indeed have it. Also many catenary accessories no one else has.

Great looking shop. How fast is their shipping and who do they use for shipping?

I placed an order on 9th May, received an invoice on 10th and the parcel was shipped on the 12th. I haven’t received it yet but I know international shipping is a bit slow at the moment, hopefully it will arrive in the next few days. It was shipped with Swiss Post.

Here is another supplier of Swiss detail bits that maybe of interest, not used them myself

https://www.mbapiro.ch/produkte.php?grp_id=2&content_id=8

Thank you for the information. I was hoping they used a major third party carrier like Fed-Ex or UPS that perform their own Customs brokering. Swiss post means it ends up in the USPS system over here and goes through US Customs that takes up to 45 days.

• 3 weeks later...