Trix AL1 (class 81)

roythebus

Looking very good for their age. Putting all the pipework on the front does improve any diesel or electric loco. Pity I now use Kadees! With tension lock I used to use a wire loop on the locos which when painted black was un-noticeable. The right size buffers make a vast improvement too.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I stumbled across this today online and therefore found myself here! I've no idea what its like or any information at all other than the company name is Atlas? At about £17 quid I ordered it anyway! 

I'm planning a large WCML layout set in the early Eighties, so I thought I would have a play and try to bring it up to scratch as a shabby looking Class 81 lurking around would be perfect. If I can do it half the justice of the examples above I'll be very happy.

Any advice on sourcing detailing parts for AL1s would be handy or a suggestion of a blue, close to the Bachmann 85 would be ideal.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/atlas-class-81-003-1960-187-diecast-i552144220.html

Screenshot_2021-01-18 Atlas Train Class 81 003 (1960) 1 87 Diecast Model Lazada co th.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, InterCitySpud said:

I stumbled across this today online and therefore found myself here! I've no idea what its like or any information at all other than the company name is Atlas? At about £17 quid I ordered it anyway! 

I'm planning a large WCML layout set in the early Eighties, so I thought I would have a play and try to bring it up to scratch as a shabby looking Class 81 lurking around would be perfect. If I can do it half the justice of the examples above I'll be very happy.

Any advice on sourcing detailing parts for AL1s would be handy or a suggestion of a blue, close to the Bachmann 85 would be ideal.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/atlas-class-81-003-1960-187-diecast-i552144220.html

Screenshot_2021-01-18 Atlas Train Class 81 003 (1960) 1 87 Diecast Model Lazada co th.png

It’s an HO model, so will look small against any OO models. Not bad though, @Taigatrommelmotorised one. 

Andi

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

It’s an HO model, so will look small against any OO models. Not bad though, @Taigatrommelmotorised one. 

Andi

Here`s a Trix AL1 against a Dublo AL1.The Trix model was Lilliput to 4mm scale.If anything,the Dublo model is a fraction too high.I have two Trix models converted to run on Dublo 3 rail track which is a story in itself.Very powerful models though.

Ray.

20210118_125728.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sagaguy said:

Here`s a Trix AL1 against a Dublo AL1.The Trix model was Lilliput to 4mm scale.If anything,the Dublo model is a fraction too high.I have two Trix models converted to run on Dublo 3 rail track which is a story in itself.Very powerful models though.

Ray.

20210118_125728.jpg

I’m referring to the Atlas class 81 model in the post I quoted. I have three of the Trix ones myself, two are on Heljan chassis’s, the third is just a body I pick up last year at Kidderminster. 

Never seen a Dublo one though! 

Andi

Ah,Didn`t know that Atlas produced one.That`s why i thought it was Trix.Interesting though,it`s a shame that no manufacturer has produced an AL1(Cl.81),i would have thought there would be a market for these pioneer electrics.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

Ah,Didn`t know that Atlas produced one.That`s why i thought it was Trix.Interesting though,it`s a shame that no manufacturer has produced an AL1(Cl.81),i would have thought there would be a market for these pioneer electrics.

Ray.

Here's hoping to that.

I feel an AL1 is coming...just a matter of time!

Atlas models are static ones screwed to a plastic base. Some have been motorised though.  The original Tri-ang one was the same body as the Dublo one with a Tri-ang chassis fitted. The change over switch was altered, for the worse, but the body and pantographs were Dublo for a while. 

Garry

• Like 1

There is a completed Silver Fox Class 81 up for sale at present:

Silver Fox BR Class 81 Electric Locomotive - 81004

No connection to seller, just noticed it because I'm normally on the lookout for Trix Class 81 bodies. Although I have not bought one yet.

I keep holding out hope of Bachmann announcing a Class 81 (has it really been 8+ years since the 85 launched in June 2012?!), but I'm sceptical at best.

Having said that, I fitted a Heljan 86/2 Roof into a Lima Class 87 shell, then Hornby announced their 87. Hacked up a Bachmann 85 and got working on a 86/0 with the Hornby body, que Heljan retooling for 86/0's. And of course Andi (Dagworth) was part finished on his scratch built Class 85 when Bachmann made the original announcement... It's like some sort of curse...

I should probably start work on a 3D printed Class 81-84 kits, and watch the RTR announcements a week later...

Edited by ClikC
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This is my AL1.

356366405_E3005JEpans.jpg.64d7e64acdd34664c44be6d326900b52.jpg

Triang  body on modified Hornby 86 bogies with some added detail. This now has the the test etch Judith Edge Stone-Faiveley pans fitted now. The Triang body is reasonably accurate, the original bogies had it riding far too high (as usual).

• Like 9

Hi Folks,

Here is a line up for you:

DSCF1195.JPG.f85d156a721ba652e31782ec3d25738c.JPG

Four 81's, an 83, two 84's and two 85's, the 82 missed the line up as the paint job went wrong when I varnished it.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Removing wrong photgraph
  • Like 10