Class 31/0 and 31/1 (skinhead) detail differences

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was looking through some books earlier this evening and I was wondering what (if any) the obvious detail differences would be between the Class 31/0 (toffee apples) and a skinhead Class 31/1?  I’m more thinking after they were re-engined from the Mirrlees lump to the EE power unit.

The cabs, bodysides appear the same so were the main differences electrical as I know the 31/0’s were red spot MU coded where as the 31/1 were the BR standard blue star.

Lots of differences beside the obvious head code / route indicator boxes.  The exhaust ports changed after the engine was replaced, there is that grill on the mid body door, boiler removals, you almost need a particular point in time to start the discussion...

As I think was alluded to by jools1959, some of the early build 31/1s (D5520 onwards) did not have headcode boxes. IIRC possibly one of the first class 31/1 allocated to the WR (OOC) to replace class 22s, particularly on empty stock workings from Paddington, was a skinhead version. 

D5518 appeared with headcode cabs and as a 31/1 (?) in the late 60s after accident damage repairs. Did it lose it's 'toffee apple' controller. 

Edited by MidlandRed

The 31/0's D5501-17/19 (31001-17/19) looked identical to the 'skinheaad 31/1's D5520-29/35/39/43/47/51/52/55/56/62 (31102-11/17/21/25/29/33/34/37/38/44) once they had been re-engined as they received the previously omitted body-side engine-room door intake grilles, as fitted to all 31/1's. The pioneer of the class D5500 (31018) differed in that it never received the front two footsteps in each cab end nor the windscreen washer protective shrouds. I have attached some images to illustrate. They were all subject to the plating over of boiler filler, steps and exhausts during the early TOP's years and  all received their TOP's numbers under the drivers side window with the logo re-positioned centrally on the lower body-side. Four of the 31/1's were ETH modified becoming 31418 (D5522,31104); 31444 (D5555,31137); 31450 (D5551, 31133); 31461 (D5547,31129). 31444 later became 31544 for a while but reverted back to 31444 prior to withdrawal.

5508 Stratford September 69 Slide 905.jpg

5500 Lea Bridge April 69 Slide 444.jpg

5535 Old Oak Common April 69 Slide 443.jpg

5547 Stratford September 71 Slide 85.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 29/04/2020 at 23:59, jools1959 said:

I was looking through some books earlier this evening and I was wondering what (if any) the obvious detail differences would be between the Class 31/0 (toffee apples) and a skinhead Class 31/1?  I’m more thinking after they were re-engined from the Mirrlees lump to the EE power unit.

The cabs, bodysides appear the same so were the main differences electrical as I know the 31/0’s were red spot MU coded where as the 31/1 were the BR standard blue star.

Yes, the significant difference was electrical, with the non-standard 'red circle' control equipment which meant they couldn't multi with the others

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2020 at 08:32, MidlandRed said:

As I think was alluded to by jools1959, some of the early build 31/1s (D5520 onwards) did not have headcode boxes. IIRC possibly one of the first class 31/1 allocated to the WR (OOC) to replace class 22s, particularly on empty stock workings from Paddington, was a skinhead version. 

D5518 appeared with headcode cabs and as a 31/1 (?) in the late 60s after accident damage repairs. Did it lose it's 'toffee apple' controller. 

It was totally rebuilt and became a standard 31/1 I believe as 31101 and blue star controllers 

• Agree 2

The one major difference between the 31/0 and 31/1 was on the buffer beams. The multi working jumpers on 31/0's were the on the opposite side to a 31/1, so that they couldn't be accidentally coupled in multiple, even though the fittings were different. This different side set up for the multi working jumpers also was the same on the Class 21's that had Red Circle & Blue Star working.

Paul J.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

As I posted earlier, the main difference was the control equipment, not just the multi-working system

Knew I had this somewhere, so here it is in all it's glory,

The actual 'Toffee Apple'

2374074_ToffeeApple.jpeg.4a0c67ee100494f29859389b88d2f0e6.jpeg

The  Controller's the knob on a stick, resembling a toffee apple (right),

It's rotated for the functions of the usual Master Switch; Off, Reverse, Engine Only, Forward,

and goes forward in notches for power.

When changing ends, you removed the toffee apple from the desk and took it with you, along with the straight air brake handle (center).

That contraption on the left's the vacuum brake.

Sorry, no record of which one it was. On Stratford sometime Oct-Dec '77

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2020 at 17:55, Ken.W said:

As I posted earlier, the main difference was the control equipment, not just the multi-working system

It's rotated for the functions of the usual Master Switch; Off, Reverse, Engine Only, Forward,

When changing ends, you removed the toffee apple from the desk and took it with you, along with the straight air brake handle (center).

Judging by the fact all the winterisation tape on the panel joints is missing/broken, it'll be October.

And that slot by the toffee apple, is that where you feed the coins in to make it go??

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Judging by the fact all the winterisation tape on the panel joints is missing/broken, it'll be October.

And that slot by the toffee apple, is that where you feed the coins in to make it go??

Thinking about that, it must have been mid Nov - early Dec, as I was only there 26th Sept (as in my 'location') till 10th Dec, and the first six weeks were classroom.

By 'that slot', do you mean just forward and to right of the toffee apple?

IIRC, it's a window for the indicator showing the 'Master Switch' position as the toffee apple's rotated

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/05/2020 at 17:55, Ken.W said:

Just for comparison:

D5597 at Cambridge, 02-07-1970

Stewart

06_31_0041_D5597 cab 02-07-1970.jpg

• Like 3

It's interesting seeing the bodyside 'steps' just behind the cab doors on the earlier pictures, I've not noticed these before. I assume these were plated over for safety reasons at some point as they aren't visible on later pictures.

Edited by Keith J

The steps were for access to the boiler filler.  They were removed/plated over when the filling point was moved down from the roof.  Other classes received the same treatment too.

• Informative/Useful 1

As you've probably noticed already the steps were only fitted on one side. Done a few Airfix ones with 10thou over the years! I don't recall ever seeing these panelled over on a Class 31 still carrying its pre-TOPS number, it appears to have commenced around 1974 and proceeded quickly, no doubt due to health & safety implications. The latest dated photo I've seen so far of a 31 still with exposed steps is in the 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' magazine on the class, a derailed 31273 on 31st October 1977 which, unlike the three Class 47s sent to rescue it, still had a 'working' headcode panel too.

• Informative/Useful 1