Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers

young37215

A massive and sad loss to music.  His organ and general keyboard wizardry was a defining factor in the Stranglers' sound.  I only ever met him a couple of times despite seeing the band regularly.  Once, at the Shepherds Bush Empire, we had AAA passes and were at the after-show party.  Dave was stood near to the green room door greeting the band's 'guests,' glass of wine in hand, dressed in chain-mail, as you do when unwinding from a show.  

'That's a fetching suit of chain-mail, Dave,' I commented politely.  'Thank you, I make them myself, I could make you one,' was his courteous reply.  

Another occasion, recounted by Captain Sensible of The Damned, involves Dave giving the Captain a tour of his Surrey pub, and saying to his pal, 'Hey, Captain, give me a hand to round up my pet rats, the Environmental Health are coming later on to renew the food licence.'

A true gentleman and innovator.  You will be sadly missed by the legions of fansinblack.  R.I.P

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I went to a Stranglers  gig at Uni in the late 70s, just as they were breaking into  headline fame.  The  Debbie Harry look-alike groupies were out in hordes,  corsets basques fish-net stockings, hanging out around the stage and exits to the hall 

Edited by Pandora
  • Informative/Useful 1